SaabCentral Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Remote Battery

I know this is an old thread but does anyone have a picture of how to open the remote capsule attached to this key? I really do not want to break it!

So I pulled apart my key and this is what I found. It kind of looks like a battery but only has a contact on one side. There's nothing else in the key. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a NEWBIE, I came upon this site to find out how to replace the key battery for my 2005 9-5 wagon. Thank you for the help as all I needed was a large paper clip. The exact battery for the key is CR1632 and is a 3v lithium. Mine lasted 5-1/2 years. The manual was, ofcourse, no help other than to direct me to go back to the dealer. Thanks but no thanks.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm finding out (the hard way) that not any CR1632 battery will do.

needs to be:

Panasonic CR1632 3 Volt Lithium 125mAh

Now I'm not sure about the brand, but I can tell you that I have gone through almost 10 batteries (energizers), purchased twice from eBay and once from batteries plus (those were panasonics but not the right ones. plus they were much more expensive and did not last long either) and they must not be lithium long lasting or the mAH might not be as high or whatever.

They either don't last long or don't work at all right out of the package.

I called one place and they mentioned that key FOBs need a "special" CR1632 batteries due to their unusual amp draw.

I'm going to Radio Shack today to see if they have them...
Sort of a follow up to this problem- I eventually found that I the "wires in the trunk hatch" issue where the wiring harness fatigues and eventually brakes from multiple openings of the trunk. I spliced those wires (had one that was broken, another on the way to almost fully breaking and a few others with the wires exposed) and the remote works MUCH better than before.

Only reason I check the harness was because the trunk button on the door stopped working and I was forced to find the fault within the wire harness.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info. I actually used an Energizer ECR1632 and after one day, all functions of the key seem to be working and I'm not getting an alert on the panel. Here is hoping I don't need to replace it. By the way, the original battery was a Panosonic.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I realize this is the 9-5 workshop, but this topic just helped me a lot. I just bought a 2001 9-3 SE Turbo Convertible TODAY (I've driven SAABs since 1974 and finally got one from this millennium). The battery in the key was dead. I got the cover off without much trouble and hoped it would be a common and readily available one. Nope. The guy at Autozone said it's probably a dealer item, but the nearest dealer is now 125 miles away.

My key looks exactly like the one in the photo posted by robw and the battery does have CR1632 as the number. I found them on Ebay, thanks again to this topic, and got two for $3.45 with free shipping. Such a deal!

So, many thanks!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I just wanted to register to say thanks for this thread! I just replaced my battery for my 99' SAAB 9-5 Aero. My key has the separate banana piece I replaced the battery with a new CR2032 Energizer that was only about $1.50 on eBay with free shipping.

I simply unscrewed the only screw holding the banana together and it unsnapped. Replaced the battery and before even re-assembling the banana I went ahead and followed the sync instructions previously posted by just pressing the unlock button directly on the chip, worked 100%! What a life and money saver. I think I'll be using saab central much more often!

Thanks guys ;ol;

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a separate fob.

But for those of you with the key fob here is an interesting video I found with what looks like a neat trick to open it. Got a swiss army knife??

·
Registered
1 Posts
key

ok. i have both types of fobs for the key. is it possible to have both of them programed to car and does anyone know where i can go in long beach to get the key programed to the car? because i am to done with the car displaying replace battery everything i turn the car on. and i can't get the fob open to replace the battery. i think my screw is stripped because i tried to use a philip screw driver and it did not move.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I like the tiny corkscrew method. I have always been using the large paper clip method.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts