SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting a message on my SID saying that my key battery needs replacing. Is there a battery in my key? I know there's a micro-chip. I picked my car up from having it serviced the other weekend and used my spare to get in the car (had them lock the keys in it since I picked it up on a Sunday night) and when I used the spare key to start the car, it wouldn't start. I had power everything and after a moment of panic, the SID displayed a message saying the key was not recognizable. I then used my other key (that had been hidden ever so strategically under the mat) and the car started right up. So, I'm down one key and getting a message saying my other key is probably going to soon crap out on me. Is this something I can fix (are the batteries easily replaceable?) or will I have to send the key out?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, there is a battery in the key. For my key the battery type is a CR1632. I tried to find it anywhere but the dealer for a cheaper price, but I had no luck. Let me know if you find a supplier.

Craig

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I pulled apart my key and this is what I found. It kind of looks like a battery but only has a contact on one side. There's nothing else in the key. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Many of us have the key with the integrated fob that requires the CR1632 battery like this (thanks for the pic Mattlach ;) ):

You have the separate fob. In your case, the battery is in the fob with the buttons, not the key itself and I believe it is a different battery.. CR2032 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I actually just replaced mine yesterday. I ordered it thru batteries.com, but I ordered the Energizer version just to be safe. I will say in the process I accidently busted one of the clips that holds the backing on, but that was the result of being an idiot. If you use a kitchen knife to pry it open, as one of the other postings had suggested it works like a charm. Also, when you go to put the new battery in, be sure to be close to the car so you can re-synch the remote to the car. This is done by pressing the unlock button 5-times consecutively. The car will chirp when this has been done. You will also know if it is syched or not because the remote will not work unless it is synched. If it doesn't work the first time, remove the battery and reinsert and try again. Good Luck.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
robw said:
Would this key/remote work on my 2000? The key shaft looks the same and it's a lot less bulky than what I have now!

·
Registered
197 Posts
It should work, thats what i have on my 9-5 year 2000, the dealer will have to program it for you, they are very expensive though at least a couple of hundred dollors.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi

How do you get the key fob open. I tried to force the back open with a kitchen knife. I can get it to come up but I am scared to force it. Does the hole in the side of the FOB have any kind of catch release. I remember reading something about it once but do not know for sure.

Thanks.;)

bryubpharm said:
I actually just replaced mine yesterday. I ordered it thru batteries.com, but I ordered the Energizer version just to be safe. I will say in the process I accidently busted one of the clips that holds the backing on, but that was the result of being an idiot. If you use a kitchen knife to pry it open, as one of the other postings had suggested it works like a charm. Also, when you go to put the new battery in, be sure to be close to the car so you can re-synch the remote to the car. This is done by pressing the unlock button 5-times consecutively. The car will chirp when this has been done. You will also know if it is syched or not because the remote will not work unless it is synched. If it doesn't work the first time, remove the battery and reinsert and try again. Good Luck.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's a screw in the FOB. I had to use a really small phillips screwdriver.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. I must have lost the little screw along the line. I was able to get it open with the kitchen knife finally without breaking the tabs. The battery is available at Batteryone which is a local store for 2.55. Ebay would work except for the delay and the shipping charge. So I am back in business. Thanks for the advice also about the five clicks to reset the remote. The range appears to have improved a little with the new battery which was a chronic complaint for me.

Regards,:lol:

·
Registered
113 Posts
The dealer in Halfmoon NY told me $45 to program the key when I purchased an extra valet key.

I went to the local indie, he did it for free, took 5 min.

What a joke the dealer is..:x

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
robw said:
Many of us have the key with the integrated fob that requires the CR1632 battery like this (thanks for the pic Mattlach ;) ):

You have the separate fob. In your case, the battery is in the fob with the buttons, not the key itself and I believe it is a different battery.. CR2032 if I remember correctly.
How do you get this style of fob open?

·
Registered
233 Posts
it takes some doing,but you must poke a rod through the little hole on the side.and by push,i mean shove like crazy.the little lid should pop up a little,then pry it up.it takes ALOT of pushing.i used a large paper clip and it worked fine.but it took alot of pushing and alot of swearing.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
two sheds said:
it takes some doing,but you must poke a rod through the little hole on the side.and by push,i mean shove like crazy.the little lid should pop up a little,then pry it up.it takes ALOT of pushing.i used a large paper clip and it worked fine.but it took alot of pushing and alot of swearing.
Actually I ended-up realizing I would need to do this shortly after. In our computer repair shop at work I found the perfect tools to get the job done. You described it to a tee thats forsure! Have the little ones cover there ears :lol:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts