SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day the battery in my key or FOB(whatever its called) died. wouldnt lock or unloick car so i used the key itself to unlock the car and get in. Once inside the car I attempted to start it only to find that they key would no longer turn in the ignition. I figured it had to do with the battery so I pressed the lock and unlock buttons a few more times and when it worked to unlock the car it turned in the ignition just fine and was able to start the car. Later the same day it died again with the same problem(not turning ignition) so this time I caught a ride with my brother and got a new battery in my key. Got back and the key would not lock,unlock or turn ignition and still wont. I tried all the tricks, pressing unlock 3,5,10 times both outside and inside as well as in the ignition to try reprogramming. Tried the same woth both lock and trunk buttons as well. also tried putting key in ignition and holding trunk button. Nothing,nothing, no reaction and more nothing... Please help, I really cant afford this crap

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
Fob is re-synchronized when you insert it into ignition switch. After 1-2 secs take it out and put it back. Now it should work normally.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yes. Nothing electronic about enabling the key to rotate the cylinder. It would even turn with no battery in the fob. Try leaning the key gently in various directions, or slight upward pressure on the key, when attempting to rotate. I agree the cylinder/lock merchandise sound worn out.

This being the case, you just need a new cylinder and key, not the electronic bit. Transpose it from your old keys to the new. However I hope you do eventually get the key rotated, because it needs to be turned to the first decent (OFF) to allow cylinder removal, for which I’m sure there are YouTube vids or other instructions online.

Doug

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had the same problem. It's not a battery or electrical issue at all. It's simply dirt in the ignition cylinder. Here is the thread I started on it.
I managed to get the cylinder clean enough by spraying electrical contact cleaner in it without taking it out. It's working fine now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts