SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2K viggen with 67K on the odo & I want more power, I just can't decide how safe it is to tweek it

what I have

MP IC
3in downpipe/race cat

what I will be/plan on getting

SPG ECU
3 in cat back exh
genuine intake pipe
genuine deliverly pipe

Is it safe to do these mods on a stock pistoned viggen? Or should I keep all the parts in my garage untill the day I can afford a set of the genuine JE pistons & have those installed with the other stuff.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Well, putting more strain on a car is always a gamble in my OPINION, but this thread

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38373&page=2&pp=20&highlight=forged+viggen+pistons

goes into great detail about pistons breaking and avoiding such things. What it boils down to is that you have to make sure that the car is properly tuned to avoid lean running and high heat buildup.

I feel the same way about modifying my Viggen. That's why I've stuck to suspension mods in order to bring the car up to snuff in that area. IMHO the engine is already too powerful for the stock chassis...

Of course that opinion will change if my roomate ever chips his TT quattro 225... Not that I'm competitive or anything:cheesy: :roll: But I'll have to chip my car to keep pulling on him if he does.. I think.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Lower it, get some nice 18" rims, tints, and a nice sounding exhaust.

I have heard many stories about viggens and bad pistons.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
errm how about strong, light 17s, a nice flowing exhaust, and some good tires, along with a rear sway bar, steering rack clamp/brace, 6 poiunt subframe brace, strut tower braces-front and rear, etc.
hardware first for power mods then a nice ecu:cheesy:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
1oldsaabman said:
??????????

I would say tweak it. The suspension stuff is up to you. If you do your homework, you should be fine. I had considerable doubts with my car, but eventually I changed my mind. I figured that that car had been very well maintained, and was in good shape, so it should handle mods. And two, I really really really wanted more power!!!!! Sure there are a few risks, but what is life without risks? :cheesy: :cool:

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
He probably meant SQR....

I'd definitely do a VRK first, then firm up the suspension, then add a thicker rear anti-roll bar. The car will feel like a different animal.

The IC was a good choice. I'd probably only do a downpipe and a delivery pipe.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea oops.... SPG...SQR....you know what I mean :) Long day..Anyways, thanks for the help/info everyone! I have the MP subframe brace & VRK on the viggen as well as a genuine rear sway bar. I plan on adding the 6pt genuine brace before the HP mods

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
1oldsaabman said:
yea oops.... SPG...SQR....you know what I mean :) Long day..Anyways, thanks for the help/info everyone! I have the MP subframe brace & VRK on the viggen as well as a genuine rear sway bar. I plan on adding the 6pt genuine brace before the HP mods
Nice! Glad to hear you have your priorities straight:cool:

Since I'm such a cautious person (probably why I'm so bad at poker:roll: ) I'd add an air/fuel meter, boost gauge, and some strategically placed temperature sensors then go nuts!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
good point by ed. I have those things he mentioned in my car, and they really make me feel better about the mods.

·
Registered
10 Posts
exhaust mods - question

Hey everyone, I'm planning to do some upgrades to my 2000 Viggen this spring. Here's the current list of performance parts:
Rear Anti-Roll Bar
Strut Brace
- or -
Viggen Rescue Kit

I'm debating one of these exhaust upgrades:
FOX High Performance Stainless
- or -
JT 3" Exhaust

And of course, a cosmetic upgrade:
Clear Blinkers

For those who have installed (or had it done for them) a full Viggen Rescue Kit what is your opinion? This may be a stupid question, but have you had any issues due to the decreased clearance resulting from installing the subframe brace?
I'm also curious about the FOX exhaust upgrade - has anyone done one of these? Also, for those who have the JT kit (sport cat) how many mufflers did you do and how noisey is your car now? What about the unpolished tip?

Any and all suggestions / comments are welcome. Looking forward to some fun this summer. Thanks for the help

-G

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good info

Well I talked with the guys over at Genuine Saab today and they were super helpful as far as figuring out in what order to do my upgrades. I think I'm going with the Steering Rack Brace Kit and Rear Anti-Roll Bar coupled with the 6-point subframe brace for suspension upgrades. As for the exhaust I'm going to keep it stock until I do the ECU upgrade (later this summer / fall) and just order a new Center Flex Pipe as mine has a few rust holes in it.

Genuine recommended sticking with stock exhaust until you do at least a stage 2 upgrade. In fact, they said that the stage 1 was pretty much a waste of money and never would really work as it's advertised elsewhere (at least on a T7.) In short, do a Stage 2 ECU along with Cat-back exhaust for performance after you've got the suspension in line. Sounds good to me.

This ought to make summer driving on twisty New England roads a whole lot more fun. :D

-G

·
Registered
10 Posts
wheels

Uh, yeah...

my stock Viggen rims are good from far, but far from good. They've taken a beating over 115,000 miles - or at lest those I drove in the summer months. None the less I love those 17's. Anyone know of a good place to get the trued?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Wow, 115,000 miles. Somebody was asking on here about high mileage Viggens not too long ago. He was curious to see how the potential problems with pistons would fold out. Even though your car isn't modded, it still might be useful for him.

That is interesting about the exhaust. I'm curious if this is for all T7s or just Viggens? I could beleive just for Viggens as they have a good flowing exhaust stock. So if the 3" cat-back is stage two, a 3 "downpipe must be stage 3 right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
stages

Exactly, you'd need the downpipe for stage 3. I think it was specific to the Viggen T7s due to the better stock exhaust system - so yeah, what you said. Again, no real point to doing a Stage 1 with a Viggen as a result, but it's not a big jump (cost or performance) to do a stage 2 so that's cool.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts