SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A '04 9-3 ARC. I paid for and installed( 10 installtion of these things on previously owned cars) an k&n open air filter that replaces the intake tube and filter vs. the old box and paper filter. Everything was fine, a little extra noise(wife hates it), turbo spools up quicker also. After my wife driving it for two days the check engine light comes on, never had a problem with this car ever. A day later she was out on the highway, going about 70, pulls on the off ramp, stops at a light, pulls off, the car would not go over 15 miles an hour till about third gear(she was freaked out because she pulled out expecting the power to whip about and almost got hit):eek: . Have had it checked(Saab Dealer), trouble code cleared(mass air flow sensor, had it checked and cleaned, it was fine), they had no idea what the problem was and of course the car didnt act like that for them.Ive pulled it off then replaced it two times, still the same problem, no power till about third gear. Any suggestion before my wife forces me to take it off, also she is driving my suburban, it would be nice to have it back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, im new so excuse me. you said" cut the extra tubbing that came with the kit and place it inside the intake tube to the mass air flow sensor"?, you mean the flex hose(metal, silver on the inside black outside with two finished ends) that is supposed to be extended to the grille for extra air? also how would i secure that inside the intake tube? Thanks

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
yep, that thing.

i just measured it and cut it.. then foced it inside. it should be snug by the bend which keeps it in place, but i stuffed some rolled up tape and some cloth to make sure it didn't move anywhere.

the most important thing is that the stock diameter is near the MAF.. so the car thinks the stock box is there. my car's had this set up for about 6 months now without any problems.. just the occassional cold start studder or rough idle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One last question, or maaybe four more. Do you have a heat sheild around yours? And how did you find out that the extra tubbing goes in the intake tube, why hasnt k&n found this out? do you pull the tubing tight or leave it crimpped? Do you have any more mods you recommend without pissing off the wife? Thanks again

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
1) no heat sheild, though you should try to get one/make one. i haven't had any problems but the BSR intake system comes with one.

2) i found this out by looking at the stock diameter. these cars are very finicky because of the computer system (called T8) and some members here did some research to figure out that was the problem. the BSR system has the same stock diameter.

3) good question.. i guess they are dumb

4) i left it tight, didn't uncrimp it

5) the intake doesn't do much besides make noise and look cool. most other mods won't make the car louder. the most hp you'll get is in the BSR stage 1upgrade, but that cost about a grand and i'm sure your wife won't like that, either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wife has no problem with the $$$ i spend on my cars. Im not looking to make it louder(not a fan, not even on my 93 suburban), just faster, i hate rice burners(hondas/acuras). I found a kit thru hirsch but have had no luck any were else( i also work crazy hours so not much time to look). Tell me, who is BSR? Thanks again

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One last question then i am done for the night. I typed in ebay "bsr saab", one of the items was this "Demon Tuner Saab 9-3 93 9-5 95 900 9000 LPT Aero Sport", check it out and tell me what you think? Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
20,362 Posts
ONEMADJUMPER said:
One last question then i am done for the night. I typed in ebay "bsr saab", one of the items was this "Demon Tuner Saab 9-3 93 9-5 95 900 9000 LPT Aero Sport", check it out and tell me what you think? Thanks again.
If you like wasting your money, go for it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JUST asking, never messed with foreing cars, never been a fan of computers in cars. so what you are basically saying is stay with the official saab sites? Do you know of a site that specialzes in used parts?

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts