SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want/need a new air filter, is the k&n a good one to go for does anyone know? If any others are recommended, any details of where i could get them from would be fantastic. I've seen a replacement filter on ebay for 40 quid, its not an induction kit though, wondering what the difference would be if i spent the extra on the full kit?
ANy replies much appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
I have had mine for 2 years and it's been great. Gonna take it out tomorrow and clean it.

I have the drop-in kind.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
My 9k desperately needed a new air filter so I bought a K&N from vic hubbard and it came in about two days.
Quite a difference in gas mileage and acceleration.
If the car desperately needed a new air filter fitting a standard new clean filter would have had a similar effect.
I personnally don't thing there is much difference between a free flowing filter and a standard saab filter except the free flowing filter is cleanable and thus lasts for life.
Modding the airbox does make a small difference, but I'd be interested in back to back dyno runs with and without.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's what i'm interested in as well, my mate reckons the k and n wont be any higher performance than standard if its the drop in type not an induction kit. but i cant see any induction kits for my car for sale from the major air filter people anyway (pipercross, k&n,green). So is there much difference or..?

because if not it could be a waste of money as they are priced about 35 pounds differently to a standard saab one.
PLus, wondered if they sounded any different, my sister had a cone filter from k and n on her mr2 turbo and that sounded pretty cool, wouldnt imagine the drop in would make as much difference but i dont know what do u guys think? is k and n even the best make to go for anyway?
So many questions....!

·
Registered
590 Posts
The basic OEM 9K is not starved for air, and so the K&N will make very little difference all by itself, drop-in or not. Once you begin upgrading, just drill a few 1" holes in the airbox - that should be OK for up to stage 3.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your response, i'll do that then. I've noticed another manufacturer, ITG, anyone know where's the best place to buy these from? (UK) Any good??

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
My K&N seemed to add about 100rpm to top speed in 5th.

Many auto competition teams have had similar results; K&N is used very widely in the motorsports world.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Wow, those who don't have K&N seem extremely biased against it.
Maybe you got me wrong. I have a K&N and am very pleased with it.

What I said was:

The basic OEM 9K is not starved for air, and so the K&N will make very little difference all by itself, drop-in or not. Once you begin upgrading, just drill a few 1" holes in the airbox - that should be OK for up to stage 3.
What I should have said was:

The basic OEM 9K is not starved for air, and so the K&N will make very little difference all by itself, drop-in or not. However, once you begin upgrading, just drill a few 1" holes in the airbox - that will allow the K&N to breathe more freely, and you should be OK for up to stage 3.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
I just cleaned and re-oiled mine. I couldn't believe all the junk that came out of that thing after about 40K.

I made a slight tweak to my airbox. The nozzle was trimmed where it was most restrictive :) and 5th gear has been much better since then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts