SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all... sorry to rehash this topic again, but I'm going to anyway. Yes, I did a search and read many threads about air filters, but I'm not completely satisfied. Stick with the std FRAM paper air filter or go with the K&N "oiled" air filter.

Here's the string that I'm concern about: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000175

Plus, I have one friend who sez K&N is awesome and another who sez stay away from these if you have a turbo (oil gettin' in the turbo... not good). And the boyz down at Advanced Auto say "thumbs up" on the K&N. Well, I've got a '99 9-3 se 2.0L turbo convertible... not sure what to do.

Questions: anyone out there advise against using the K&N air filter with their turbo flavored Saab? Any bad experiences? Any proof of "bad things to come" (e.g. oil into the turbo, etc)? Are the gains worth the risk?

Looking for some fresh facts / opinions / experiences. thanks!

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
pb said:
Questions: anyone out there advise against using the K&N air filter with their turbo flavored Saab? Any bad experiences?
That's why I use the KN filter.
I have yet to see one solid piece of proof that they are bad. Even the post you linked to. Plenty of folks claim it's bad...yet only one person had any proof. And it was proof that it is NOT bad.

The other thing too. With the internet today, people are REAL QUICK to post all kinds of negative experiences.
Heck some devote entire websites to it.
http://bestbuysux.org/
I searched very long and very hard for anyone anywhere with a turbo engine that had any conclusive proof of damage being caused by a K&N.
I found nothing.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
It's a question of longevity, the manufacturers grade the filter medium to protect the inlet/combustion/exhuast system for the life of the vehicle; this is developed by hundreds [if not thousands] of hours of testing costing many millions of dollars per model/engine/inlet set up, the manufacturers goal is simple, maximum protection of components for maximum longevity with ease of service for cost part & time.

No aftermarket filter manufacturer that wishes to deviate from the OEM spec' is able to afford such testing, every single one of us with any non-conformal filter is in effect buying into a testing programme; current research implies that foam has the edge over pleated fabric for filtration/service period, paper still is the best for filtration; pleated fabric best for airflow, foam in the middle but an important caveat is the speed of dust load up is highest in fabric and due to fabric having the highest particle size bypass actually presents the highest potential threat to any form of high speed induction/compression fan.

Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just for fun, I sent an e-mail to the techs at K&N asking them for some facts about their air filters and a turbo engine. I'll post a reply if/when they reply to me. In the meantime... here are a few testimonials I found on the net you might enjoy (from golf carts to varmint protection... LOL :lol: )

February 10, 2005
I have used K&N in most of the cars we have owned over the past 7 years and most recently installed one in my 2005 SAAB 9-2X. Besides the improved gas mileage (typically 1 mpg over a new stock filter), and the other benefits mentioned by other users, one area that it helps that no one mentions is protection from rodents! We live in a heavily wooded area, and before using K&Ns, I would often find that mice had made nests using the paper from conventional filters, thereby destroying engine protection provided by the air filter. Mice & chipmunks have really plagued our cars, even eating the top of the gas tank on my wife's new SAAB last spring. (not covered by warranty). They never seem to touch the K&Ns, even in my old MG that sits all week until I drive it on weekends. Must be the combination of a strong wire mesh protecting an oiled gauze that they find distasteful.

Joe Dufresne
Holden, MA

February 22, 2005
I am 15 so I don’t have a car but, I have a quad, goped, and 2 golf carts with K&N air filters, and I just want to say how awesome these filters are! They defiantly add horsepower, and throttle response to my two stroke engines, and wouldn’t use any other filter! Any engine or car I get will always have a K&N air filter on them because they are so dependable, add performance, get better mileage, and look great too. I just want to thank K&N for making such great filters, keep up the awesome work!!!

Jared
Mesa, AZ

March 22, 2005
Hello,
I always knew you guys made good filters, but me being more of a biker in India with a small 150 Ceecer, I never thought it would be of much help on my machine. Until I got frustrated of considering it and went ahead and bought myself one.
Waahoo! It really did it. I could feel the motor gain revs very easily. Since the single cylinder isn't one that can be exploited easily, there was no outstanding difference as such, but there most definitely was a difference, one that made me go he he. So great, thank your people for the ingenuity.
Please make yourself more available in India. There are hundreds more just like me out here.

Thanks again,
Jude Gonsalves
Mumbai, India

April 15, 2005
A novel use for a K&N Filter
I use these filters in all my vehicles and wanted to use in my new lawnmower as well. But not available so made up a snorkel system to fit the Honda motor. In 2 years use, without cleaning, there is not a speck of dirt in the snorkel tube (Tested with a white cloth wipe-out). The filter is absolutely filthy. I feel it proves a point. The paper filter would be long past its use-by date. See attatched photos.

Cheers,
Peter Sumpter
Christchurch, New Zealand​

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
ragtopcav said:
It's a question of longevity, the manufacturers grade the filter medium to protect the inlet/combustion/exhuast system for the life of the vehicle; this is developed by hundreds [if not thousands] of hours of testing costing many millions of dollars per model/engine/inlet set up, the manufacturers goal is simple, maximum protection of components for maximum longevity with ease of service for cost part & time.

No aftermarket filter manufacturer that wishes to deviate from the OEM spec' is able to afford such testing, every single one of us with any non-conformal filter is in effect buying into a testing programme; current research implies that foam has the edge over pleated fabric for filtration/service period, paper still is the best for filtration; pleated fabric best for airflow, foam in the middle but an important caveat is the speed of dust load up is highest in fabric and due to fabric having the highest particle size bypass actually presents the highest potential threat to any form of high speed induction/compression fan.

Caveat emptor.
It is obvious what filters best, whatever has the most restriction, will typically be the best filter, since it stops the most air and stuff. The question here is what filters ENOUGH. I'm not so sure I buy the argument that the OEM has put thousands of hours into filter selection, they probably just do what they have always done, and usually always do what is cheapest. I'd be interested to know what comes standard in a Ferrari or something. On the other hand, air flow could be sufficient even with a paper filter since the restriction might be due to another cause such as pipe diameter and in that case the performace filter is a waste since it adds no benefit and is strictly a gimmick. You decide, its only 40 bucks, and it easy to do. Even with no performance gains it will at least be reusable, you just have to decide if it gets out enough dirt.

Besides, people will always pick and choose what advice from the manufacturer to follow anyhow right?

My opinion is that anything small enough to pass through the K&N will not pose a threat to the engine. Dirts is always ingested, even with the paper filter (thats why OEMs have a more stringent service schedule for vehicles in dusty areas, because dust STILL gets through). So if you wanted to be extra cautious, change the oil a little more frequently and don't clean the filter as often (letting dirt build up which will increase the effectiveness of the filter, but decrease airflow).

Tboy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts