SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
i was thinking that i want to buy a K&N air filter.
does it really make a difference?
if so =)

anybody know where i can get instructions on how to install it.
To let everybody know. i am a TOTAL noob at this.

This beast is my first car.
If it's tricky, should i bring it into a mechanic?

thanks for reading
~Mike

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Ummmmm, what exactly do you have in mind? Removing the airbox and replacing it with an open element filter? I can tell it makes no difference in performance, just lower the intake temps a bit and maybe helps the turbo spool just a little bit quicker. It makes a big difference in noise, you can really hear the turbo whistling and the bypass valve uuhhhhhh.......bypassing. :cheesy: Though I don't know how loud it'll be on a regular 2.3L.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
oooooooooooooooooooo, a drop in filter, :lol: silly me. That's a piece of cake to change out. ;) We're talking about replacing the airbox with an open filter, something like this....

Don't think you'll notice a difference in performance, maybe a little fuel economy. Also don't know about the noise with a setup like that.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
mfong said:
and what's this noise everyone is talking about?
lmao
~Mike
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOSH-PSSST :cheesy:

but I have an aero which has a bigger turbo and more boost.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok
so how do i get that whoosh noise? that would be hot.

where do you live in the northeast? Man i need a neighbor who owns a saab. cause im such a wicked noob with this stuff.

first car, and it's a saab. lmao

~Mike

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Mike, let me summarise ;)

1. You can replace the current filter element (located under the car infront of the left hand front wheel when facing the bonnet, access is via 3-4 torx screws from underneath the car). This will give minimal improvement but is better than a dirty paper filter, it could be a tiny bit louder but I dont think you will notice.

2. You can replace the entire air box with an open air cone type filter, this will give you the whoosh sound when the wastegate dumps the boost pressure and a loud induction noise.

1. Very very simple

2. Will take more time and dismantling etc.

Tell us what you plan and we'll try and help further ;)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hi, i may also be interested in the open air filter, but i would also like the splash guard ?

Is it possible to list the required parts for this install and where to purchase ?

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Mike, let me summarise ;)

1. You can replace the current filter element (located under the car infront of the left hand front wheel when facing the bonnet, access is via 3-4 torx screws from underneath the car). This will give minimal improvement but is better than a dirty paper filter, it could be a tiny bit louder but I dont think you will notice.

2. You can replace the entire air box with an open air cone type filter, this will give you the whoosh sound when the wastegate dumps the boost pressure and a loud induction noise.

1. Very very simple

2. Will take more time and dismantling etc.

Tell us what you plan and we'll try and help further ;)
This brings us back to the debate where DR Boost was telling us that for applicatyions with less than 350hp the free flow filters do NOTHING for performance...

I'm not sure I agree with him, but I didn't realize anything when i sitched mine, (maybe runs a little bit smoother at very low rpms)

The turbo "whoosh" is definitely more noticeable, even with a regular free flow replacement...

On the flipside you have the potential of damaging your car.

Usually there is no risk when installing the new free flow filter, but amny of them are washable, and need re-oiling when washed.

If you don't know exactly how much oil to use when cleaning a filter and how to apply it, there is a good chance of letting the car suck the filter oil in onto the MAF sensor damaging it, and creating a costly repair...

These are some things to keep in mind.

--Matt

edit:
I know there were more but this is th eonly thread I can find on the topic right now:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21704

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
mfong said:
how much would it cost me to replace my air box?

~Mike
Mike it costs nothing to remove the air box (assuming you do it yourself) you then need to replace the whole contraption with a cone type filter, these will vary considerably in price depending on the size and brand you chose, you can custom make the connector from the filter to the MAF of buy one specially made.

Air box shown here, its the big black thing:

Fabricating a splash guard shouldnt bee too tough using stainless or perspex and some rivets or self tappers.

Cone filter in place:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh i see.
well i don't want to risk damaging my car. so i'll just get the air filter :cheesy:
and i'll get my friends to help me install. i don't know how to remove the bumper and all that jazz

~Mike

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Mike you dont need to remove the bumper, I did that just so you could see it easily! ;)

Access is from beneath the car for the filter itself ;)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
bobsaab said:
Chris - what type of tires are you running in your pics?
The album is over a period of time, the car has Goodyear F1's on the front and Toyo's on the rears at the mo!

The F1's are incredible :p

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Mike i'm running a JR direct replacement air filter, and to be honest i've noticed no difference in performance or air induction noise. I'd stick with the paper filter for now and put the money towards some silicon tubing or a rear decor panel. :cool:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts