SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haha, I guess it had to happen... This afternoon I was putting everything together again after changing the clutch hydro line and I had to pull on the clutch cover quite hard to get it into postition. Guess where my other hand was? That's right, pushing on the front injector! And suddently I heard "crrk", and then the whole neighbourhood heard me swear... Nylon (?) hose brocken. Nice clean cut...

Well, what should I do to get the car back on the road? Do I have to source a Saab hose or can I use any appropriately sized hose (6mm hole, 2 mm thick walls, I think) to make a replacement, more flexible one?

BTW: Megasquirt ruuulz!!

Thanks for your help! Cheers, Seb

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
I have the braided lines, possibly off of an old VW. I've been transferring from car to car for a few years now. First thing I do with a new one.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
nutcase said:
Access to any breakers that have late 70's/80's VW's? Get some braided injector lines from one of those.
Are they a direct fit with a suitable length and correct connectors to suit the fuel distributor and injectors? Should check out Ebay and see if anything shows up there.

Craig.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nutcase said:
Access to any breakers that have late 70's/80's VW's?

Well not really, these cars are more and more scarce around here, and they usually arrive at the yard already scavenged by enthusiasts (much like the saabs I scrap :) ), the K-jetted VW's, as the GTI models are now considered as collectors by a bunch of maniacs :cheesy::cheesy:

If I come across the braided lines sometime, I'll make sure to get them. For now, I'll go to my favorite hose shop and see if they have a matching tubing and I'll redo my lines.

An early K-Jet volvo engine I got (1974) had black non transluscent hose, I guess the color/material doesn't matter as long as it likes fuel?

Megasquirt rules!!

Thanks for your ideas! Seb

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
I think on a 900 you'd need to take the bolts etc. as well to fit them to the fuel dissy, but on a 99 it's identical fittings. The VW ones are a little bit longer, but not anmanageable.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
sebch said:
An early K-Jet volvo engine I got (1974) had black non transluscent hose, I guess the color/material doesn't matter as long as it likes fuel?
I made mine out of steel-braided teflon and aluminium fittings from the local motor racing supply shop.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SpecialTool said:
I made mine out of steel-braided teflon and aluminium fittings from the local motor racing supply shop.

Thanks for the idea. How much did you get those for? Cheers, Seb

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
sebch said:
Can't remember sorry, it was a few years ago. I remember thinking the hose was rather pricey -- no doubt could have got it cheaper if I'd been patient enough to shop online.

·
Registered
24 Posts
SpecialTool said:
Can't remember sorry, it was a few years ago. I remember thinking the hose was rather pricey -- no doubt could have got it cheaper if I'd been patient enough to shop online.
Look I had the same problem. Put my car in a shop for one thing -- they didn't fix it but managed to break a fuel injector line while they were at it. They sent me to a shop that sold me 100 feet of 2mm line (the smallest they had). Oh yes, it'll work. Well, I had running problems and it turns out the plastic line does not work -- it has no pressure rating. So I went to another hydraulics shop. Big difference, the fellow I found there knew what he was doing. Together we switched the old lines, one at a time for a set of stainless steel braided teflon lines, like the photo above. We used the old fittings and he even showed me all the tricks to do the job fast and right. It was like watching an artist at work. Forty minutes later I have a new set of lines and a car that idles and accelerates properly for the first time (bought it in November). The lines are just like the ones in the photo above. If you switch onto rabbit lines there are going to be a few fitting issues because the fasteners on the distributor end are different. Also you should know this is not that expensive a switch. Cost me $100 US, where the VW lines ar 100 each. I cannot stress enough that you should either do the job yourself if you can or find someone who really knows what he is doing. Watching this guy work today showed me exactly how I can spend hours and make a mess trying to do something myself or getting the wrong person to do it.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
SpecialTool said:
What size/type of hose did you use and do you know what the connectors are called? I've never found out what their proper name is and only see ridiculous 'AN' type connectors when looking on Ebay. I think the connections are metric but AN stuff is imperial sized AFAIK.

I presume the hose is special fuel-rated stainless-braided stuff by the look of it. Should be easy to find that, but the connections might not be.

Craig.

·
Registered
24 Posts
c900 said:
What size/type of hose did you use and do you know what the connectors are called? I've never found out what their proper name is and only see ridiculous 'AN' type connectors when looking on Ebay. I think the connections are metric but AN stuff is imperial sized AFAIK.

I presume the hose is special fuel-rated stainless-braided stuff by the look of it. Should be easy to find that, but the connections might not be.

Craig.
The hose is teflon with braided stainless steel mesh over it. I didn't ask my guy the size but it is smaller than the fixture tip. You use the fittings from the old plastic lines, push the teflon into it and crimp the aluminum clips. If you go to any good hydraulics store with the picture they can hook you up.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
c900 said:

Craig.
Can't help with the size or brand of the hose ends -- they came from a parts bin at a local motor sport supplier (Go Gear -- looking at their website, the brand may have been Speedflow.). I just took them the Bosch fittings and asked for a set that fit. As you say, most of that stuff is Imperial, but there is some metric available.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, here's a quick follow up...

I broke the line on Saturday, so I had to wait till monday morning to go to my favorite hydraulics/hoses/plastic and gum/fittings store. Popped in there with the broken hose that has a 6x2 marking on it and showed it to the guy. He found a bunch of hoses that are rated at over 17 bar and +100°C, so I bought a few 1 meter long samples of several sizes as 2mm inside diameter seemed awfully small and 4 mm way too big. I went back to my place, plugged the soldering iron in, melted the old hose over the fittings to set them free. Then I tried to insert them into the several samples I had. Doing this was made easier by plunging both the fitting and the hose end into boiling water (that's when a microwave comes handy in the barn...). There was no way I could stretch the 2mm hose enough, the 3 was almost good but not quite, so I went fot the 4mm one, that has the same outside diameter as the original hose (handy to route it under the hood). The fit is snug, and the hose was easy to install (heat gun handy as well) due to its relatively thin walls. Fired the engine, went for a test drive, everything is tight. I've driven over a 100 miles now and it's totally fine. Ready for the long haul to Belgium next week!

Cost of the hose I finally used: 1,2 USD (1,8 CHF), which is not bad!!

Thanks to you guys for the teflon stuff input, this looks like the best option if you want to get the best out of your K-jet. In my case, I'll dump the CI system ASAP (megasquirt rules!), so I didn't want to invest over a hundred $ on this setup. Besides the fact that the car cost me less than a hundred $, that is :cheesy: :cheesy: !!

Wish you a saaby Christmas! Seb

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
sebch said:
I got quotes for some over here in the UK and it was REALLY pricey :( = like £150+ for the 4 injector pipes :(

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tomarse said:
I got quotes for some over here in the UK and it was REALLY pricey :( = like £150+ for the 4 injector pipes :(
Then look at my quote in the message above :cheesy: Cheers, Seb

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
sebch said:
Then look at my quote in the message above :cheesy: Cheers, Seb
I still fancy some braided ones!

You can also buy the fittings with olives to join the original injector pipes when they break - 6mm ones are standard and about 50p here.
If you break the main fuel hose from the tank that is 8mm OD (again a standard size for connectors)

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
saaboholic said:
The hose is teflon with braided stainless steel mesh over it. I didn't ask my guy the size but it is smaller than the fixture tip. You use the fittings from the old plastic lines, push the teflon into it and crimp the aluminum clips. If you go to any good hydraulics store with the picture they can hook you up.
Might do that since I have a few spare sets of the plastic injector lines from the two 83 cars (turbo and gli) I've been breaking up, and I could perhaps also get the other lines running to/from the fuel distributor (warm-up reg and cold-start injector lines) done at the same time.

Craig.

·
Registered
181 Posts
c900 said:

Craig.
AN fittings have imperial threads and are sized upon the internal diameter of the hose in 1/16" inch increments - for example, a -4 hose (pronounced 'dash 4) has an ID of 4/16" or 1/4" and fits a -4 fitting which in turn has a 7/16" thread.

The hose that's been used here is probably the Teflon lined stuff like Goodridge 600. Goodridge also do a staggering range of hose ends, adaptors and the like and you can get hold of their stuff through a decent hydraulics dealer or most racing shops.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.