SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I have a 2003 9.3 2.0T Vector.

I had a 3" cat back for the longest time. I just decided a month or so ago to get the downpipe for it. I ordered the Taliaferro downpipe off of Genuine Saab website. I had that installed with a new Magnaflow stainless 12229 muffler to replace the old one that was vibrating horribly from a dent. The downpipe makes the turbo spool much faster, the lag is much less. I drove it for a couple weeks, I then decided to have a resonator installed because it was so loud, I don't want cops harassing me over the noise. Seeing that I had the exhaust done all the way I started looking at tunes.

I read around a lot and talked to different people. I decided to go with JZW tuning. John Z Williams racing from Colorado. I called him and talked to him a couple times before I ordered the PPC. I ordered the PPC, it came a few days later. The first thing you do with the PPC is download the stock ECU map into the PPC. Then you bring the PPC to your computer and upload the ECU map into it. You then email the code to John. John then tweaks the code and sends it back to you. Then you download the new code into your PPC and then upload it back into your ECU. The inital read of the ECU, when you download the stock ECU into your PPC, takes like 12 minutes. The upload of the tweaked ECU code from the PPC into the car takes like 3.5 minutes. After you upload the code you are ready to rock and roll.

Immediately you can tell the difference in the performance. The lag is even less. The car is very peppy. John called it driveability when I talked to him about it. As for power, it comes on quick and just goes all the way to redline. One thing you will also notice is that the turbo boosts all the way. Before my turbo would go a little into the red at highway speeds in like 5th gear. Now it goes all the way in any gear. The turbo is really loud, the blow off valve sounds like a real blowoff valve, you can hear the air surging in the piping when it is boosting.

Under normal driving the car gets normal gas mileage. I get 32 on the highway. That downpipe really helps with gas mileage. When I get on it, I swear the gas gauge goes down a little each time I peg it. I could be wrong though.

All in all, JZW tuning is the best bet. Its a deal. John is cool to talk to, and knows his stuff. The power is nice, highway speed is really fun. Its hard to get on it around town because its so fast now.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Nice, which tune did you go with? I'm running his aggressive stg1 and love it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jzw

He tells me its a Stage 1. I want to go a little more. I just read on the site that he limits the torque on automatic trannys to 285 though. We'll see. I really like it now. I can't wait till I get some punk in a civic trying to race me again. I'll destroy it. I used to smoke civics and accords before the downpipe and tune, now I will dominate. Ha ha.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Nice review! I have the aggressive stage 1 as well. It rocks! I smoked an A4 the other day. I think he was a bit shocked. The GS DP is next on my list followed by 3in. exhaust. Now I'm really chomping at the bit to get those things done!

BTW...I didn't know how the PPC worked so I learned something.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jzw ppc

I posted this information for people who DID NOT know about the PPC. Before I got mine I did as much research as possible on the different options so that I could made a good decision on what product I wanted.

I realize that there are different options for ECU tuning out there, and there are many others who also know this.

However, there are many who DO NOT know this.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Yep, my JZW stage 1 puts a smile on my face everytime I drive my car. A GS 3" downpipe is next on my list although my current situation not so good as it looks I have been scammed buying a DP of smallt like some others here. Will get there eventually!

·
Registered
154 Posts
His website isn't very clear, but what is the difference between Stage 1/2 and Stage 1/2 aggressive? Do each of these stages just have more hp/torque? There is a just a paragraph mentioning the aggressive tunes but no prices or specs.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
His website isn't very clear, but what is the difference between Stage 1/2 and Stage 1/2 aggressive? Do each of these stages just have more hp/torque? There is a just a paragraph mentioning the aggressive tunes but no prices or specs.
for me the difference was a noticeable increase in torque. there was def mor pull in the aggressive tune. seeing as how the stg 1 is rated 260 hp, aggressive pushes it a bit further. how much further? noticeable seat of the pants further.

·
Registered
154 Posts
for me the difference was a noticeable increase in torque. there was def mor pull in the aggressive tune. seeing as how the stg 1 is rated 260 hp, aggressive pushes it a bit further. how much further? noticeable seat of the pants further.
Is it possibly just more torque? I am wanting to get his tune, but I don't want my transmission to go out either which he warns about with the aggressive tunes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts