SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a quick video on my way to grab some lunch. first 2 are some quick pulls i did, sorry for the slow shifting, was only using 1 hand. The last part is some vid of me just driving(yes, i did spool it up on purpose) ;)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Looks like it's pulling pretty hard. Damn 85 degrees out too.. I hear hear your open intake.. any exhaust mods? Crazy how easy it is to just get some power out of this car with a simple tune... thanks for the video.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good stuff. Now get those injectors and an e85 tune ;ol;;ol;
Thats the plan; Been talking to John, the plan now is a 19t upgrade, E85, and stg2+ clutch.

Already have the spare turbo I'ma use to upgrade

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do you have the td04 15t in right now? are you planning on selling it?
i have the stock b207r turbo, by the time my build is done, i will have the 19t on the car, a complete td04 turbo spare, and a spare td04 CHRA

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like it's pulling pretty hard. Damn 85 degrees out too.. I hear hear your open intake.. any exhaust mods? Crazy how easy it is to just get some power out of this car with a simple tune... thanks for the video.
my sig shows my mods, exhaust is stock, and will stay stock, keep the car nice and quiet...

·
Registered
622 Posts
If you're going to be making that much power you should really look at a bigger pipe diameter. I was looking for but could not find an article and it was over two companies, Dezod(D) and Ptuning(P), D had a 2.5" exhaust for sale and P had a 3" available as upgrades to go along with their turbo kits. D claimed that 2.5 was plenty.. D claimed that 3 was ideal. Eventually their argument climbed all the way up to Garrett. Garrett technician said that unlike N/A where pipe size and proper back pressure were required to make more power, turbo set ups were all about getting rid of the gas as fast as possible and that the optimum system would be a straight dump tube and the next best system would be the biggest least restricting pipe as possible. Well I don't know you too well or if power is a big goal but with all those mods you are going to make a lot of power and you'll make the most with a bigger exhaust. Anyway bigger exhaust doesn't have to mean loud as a hot rod or ricer. A system with a hi flow cat and either 1 long resonator or two smaller ones and a muffler will give you a stock sounding exhaust with the performance you want.

·
Registered
969 Posts
makes a bit of sense i had a muffler shop install a 2.5 inch from my ****ty mp downpipe back into a dynomax muffler and there is hardly a sound difference.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I was taught Cats are for loudness, resonators for tone, mufflers to clean up the sound. Turbocharged cars don't really make all that much noise anyway as a result of the turbine process.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Thats the plan; Been talking to John, the plan now is a 19t upgrade, E85, and stg2+ clutch.
how much for the 19T upgrade? Is it a 14T that you are upgrading? I was talking to john about a 16t upgrade but hey might as well go to 19

·
Registered
36 Posts
my sig shows my mods, exhaust is stock, and will stay stock, keep the car nice and quiet...
I would get a full 3" if I was you. You'd get more power that way. You could always get one of those remote switch things to go from quiet DD to high flow... That's what I'm thinking about once I get everything else straightened out.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Exhaust will stay stock the 3" catless downpipe is plenty flow, it's like 5ft of pipe after the turbo. That is enough. 3" is too big and would be too loud for my liking. Biggest I would do is 2.75"....

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how much for the 19T upgrade? Is it a 14T that you are upgrading? I was talking to john about a 16t upgrade but hey might as well go to 19

I'm buying a 19t CHRA already assembled from kinugawa, getting a universal td04 19t compressor housing. Put it all together and I'll have the 19t turbo ready to boot on. And I'll have a spare CHRA and complete turbo. It's a longer method. But who knows, if the price is right, I might shoot emails out and see if some of the subbie companies will upgrade the spare turbo I got

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you're going to be making that much power you should really look at a bigger pipe diameter. I was looking for but could not find an article and it was over two companies, Dezod(D) and Ptuning(P), D had a 2.5" exhaust for sale and P had a 3" available as upgrades to go along with their turbo kits. D claimed that 2.5 was plenty.. D claimed that 3 was ideal. Eventually their argument climbed all the way up to Garrett. Garrett technician said that unlike N/A where pipe size and proper back pressure were required to make more power, turbo set ups were all about getting rid of the gas as fast as possible and that the optimum system would be a straight dump tube and the next best system would be the biggest least restricting pipe as possible. Well I don't know you too well or if power is a big goal but with all those mods you are going to make a lot of power and you'll make the most with a bigger exhaust. Anyway bigger exhaust doesn't have to mean loud as a hot rod or ricer. A system with a hi flow cat and either 1 long resonator or two smaller ones and a muffler will give you a stock sounding exhaust with the performance you want.
Not on a 2l engine it won't....there is no fighting the sound when u go 3"...it will be louder. Let me be clear. My current set up is stock quiet. Can't even tell the car is on if your standing behind it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Not on a 2l engine it won't....there is no fighting the sound when u go 3"...it will be louder. Let me be clear. My current set up is stock quiet. Can't even tell the car is on if your standing behind it.
I would have to agree. I would rather have the stock sound hands down. But i do remember talking to John and he said you can get glasspacks (or glassbacks?) that will help it stay quiet if you need to to bigger.

Im very interested in the set up you are pursuing! ;ol;

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yes on a 2L it will.. the more power you make with a turbocharger the quicker you want to get rid of exhaust gases.. has nothing to do with engine size or manufacturer with a turbo. Turbos as I said quiet down the exhaust note considerably just by means of what they do and how they work. A bigger exhaust will stay quiet as long as you have the necessary hardware in place; a catalytic converter, 1 or 2 resonators, and a muffler. Like a 4 banger without a cat is usually called a ricer because of that loud exhaust, if you have a 4 banger without a cat but a turbo you wont typically have rasp because of the turbocharger but it will still be louder. It's really all about having a proper set up. But if the stock exhaust is 2.5" it's probably plenty big for up to 300 or so WHP. But on a DD you're probably right and are fine with the 3" DP. I was just saying to say.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts