SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody with a 1994 have a keyless entry system by any chance? Got my Saab pre-owned, and the dealer didn't have anything but the regular keys for us, nevermind the knowledge whether or not the car was equipped with a system in the first place. I've had a Saab dealer tell me that '95 was the first year for the 900 to come with keyless, and another dealer tell me outright the car doesn't have it, but upon realizing it was an SE reconsidered, and offered that he had 2 in stock for $135 each that would just have to be programmed. I've found keyfobs on ebay for much cheaper that say things about 92-94 900s, universal Saab remotes, yada yada yada, so I'm hopeful even that the old owners just never turned over their remotes and I can get a remote then just have it programmed. Did the '94 SE come with keyless?!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, thats a shame...I've started looking at the cheap crappy-looking ones on JCWhitney and the like...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Try the autoloc system, they are pretty nice. I put one on my '95 Audi, and it worked very well. I have one that I bought for my Range Rover but never hooked-up, so I think I will put it on my '94 900S.

Pat

·
Registered
36 Posts
Audis and Mercedes both use a vacuum system for their central locking, which mad the Autoloc a little complicated to hook-up, but the Saab with its standard electrical locking should be very easy (how complicated is it to remove the inside door panels?).

I bought the first Autoloc from them, but the second one I got new from ebay, I just had to be a little patient.

Pat

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Man this topic is exactly what has been on my mind lately. Here are my thoughts (94 SE).

I know the SE has some sort of alarm built in. It has the dead lock function that sets the little red light on the dash. But also you can just push the plunger down, or turn the key 15 degrees to lock it without setting the alarm. I have had mine go off, and it is just basically flashing lights and horn. Now, I am worried somewhat on if it will be possible to integrate a keyless system in with the locking system. My thoughts are that the locking or unlocking mechanism is always initiated by a mechanical movement. I am not certain what would happen if you just put some juice across the solenoid. (what worries me is this, on my Mazda, if you are inside, and you lock the doors and give it a little time, the factory alarm will set. If you unlock the door manually, (moving the mechanism by hand) and then open the door, the alarm will go off. If you unlock the door with the button, then open the door, all is well. Weird huh? That kind of black magic makes me wonder if wiring up the solenoid in the saab will work)

Here is what I am thinking about doing, I bought a power door lock actuator from parts express.com for 4 bucks. I am planning on puling the door panels soon, and putting in new speakers, and I will investigate a little more on what it will take to electrically add keyless entry. If I think that will be unsucessful, I am planning on adding my solenoid into the door to mimick the pushing and pulling of the plunger. I have used these before with good sucess, so I know this is a surefire way of getting it done. Hopefully if won't be needed, and we can just wire it in. I will know more in a week or so when my parts arrive!

Tboy

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Tboy said:
Man this topic is exactly what has been on my mind lately. Here are my thoughts (94 SE).
(what worries me is this, on my Mazda, if you are inside, and you lock the doors and give it a little time, the factory alarm will set. If you unlock the door manually, (moving the mechanism by hand) and then open the door, the alarm will go off. If you unlock the door with the button, then open the door, all is well. Weird huh? That kind of black magic makes me wonder if wiring up the solenoid in the saab will work)Tboy
The 94 has an alarm, but no immobilizer.
Also with a TECH2 you can program a Saab just like your Mazda.
When I bought my 9-3 it was set by TECH2 to arm 30 seconds after the car is shut off and the door closed. Annoyed the hell outof me and I had it changed to "normal".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts