SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I don't know about UK, but in US you can just go to like autozone and get OBDII port read for free. If you guys could do OBDI, THAT would be something:)))

Klim

·
Saab Mad
3,053 Posts
Easy and cheap. All you need is a ELM323 (40euros on ebay), a RS232 null modem cable (5-10 euros) and an old Palm handheld (anywhere from 10 to 40 bucks on ebay). You can find free software that will let you monitor the values, or if you want you can buy software to use your palm as a dyno (obviously not very accurate, but still good to make comparaisons).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Lots of nice info on that site.

Id like to get a cheap code reader for mine.. does the one you mentioned above support OBD1 (its a 1991).. Im guessing not since the signalling is differnt?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Kram said:
Lots of nice info on that site.

Id like to get a cheap code reader for mine.. does the one you mentioned above support OBD1 (its a 1991).. Im guessing not since the signalling is differnt?
The way I (think) I understand it is that you need a tech 2 to read pre-obd2 cars. These go on ebay for more than I paid for my car. I did find this thing (link) but it has no description. It looks like it adapts the tech 2 port (don't know what that's called) to work with a serial port on a computer. But if it were that easy, I'm sure people would be doing this, right? It probably just does obd2, and we're out of luck... I would love to be able to read codes with a laptop, so somebody please prove me wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts