SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I turned 90,000 miles last week. I figured I'd make the rare thread about how great my 9-3 is and currently everything is great (Knock on Wood).

This car has been reliable and I have not had many issues. I've had a few here and there, but nothing dramatic or anything that put me stranded.

Anyway, here are a few pics and a video as a tribute of 90,000. Very soon I will be joining the 100k mile club. Save me a seat.

Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlVAixUz_cU

And a few pics after the cleaning today: (all cellphone pics)

And this was rattling around infront of the passenger wheel well. I had my horn replaced 1 and a half years ago and I guess they left the old one in there. Weird!!!!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Nice! I've got a ways to catch up to you mileage wise. Its good to hear of a high mileage V6T, I've had good luck with mine, hopefully it will continue.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Awesome good to hear. But wow, 90,000 miles already? I thought I had a lot and I'm at 50,000 :lol:. Good to know your car has held up fine so far. Keep us posted :).

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
You are ahead of me by about 2000 miles....but I leave for Kentucky on Thursday (1125 miles one way) so I will soon catch up hehehe. Nice looking car btw!

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Good deal. I'm catching up to you at 84,000 mi.--we'll have to see how long it takes. There's a poster here with over 120,000 mi. but we don't hear from him much.

·
Registered
411 Posts
tell me when u join the 200k club. Ill be waiting for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
congrats! and thank you for posting this. we just bought ours used with 28K miles and everyone is warning us about what money pits Saabs are and how we're going to regret it!

·
Registered
411 Posts
congrats! and thank you for posting this. we just bought ours used with 28K miles and everyone is warning us about what money pits Saabs are and how we're going to regret it!

At first when i got the Saab parts were expensive and possibly a money pit. Any repair would of cost a mint. Now I'm seeing more aftermarket support and options other than the dealer for repairs. But for the most part the Saab has been a really good car. I'm turning 195k right now i have only put in a few new parts. I'm really happy with this car. I also know i might be one on the lucky ones so knock on wood.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry to but in on this but this is the very reason why I am looking for an 2003/2004 Aero. Well treated I am hearing that 100K+ is easily achievable. I will be regularly servicing using kwik fit.
Do you guys recommend the 93 for reliability then. My other choice was an Alfa 156 and with that I am seeing all kinds of horrible cost of ownership.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
up until yesterday I had never had any problems with my 2003 saab 9-3. I have 247,000 miles on mine, and it still looks new.
Holy cow. You might be the record holder here. Are you the original owner or just buy (see you're a newbie:p).

·
Registered
830 Posts
Do you guys recommend the 93 for reliability then. My other choice was an Alfa 156 and with that I am seeing all kinds of horrible cost of ownership.
Alfa 156 is a great car but what motor will you be getting with the Alfa?
The only engine that can stand next to a Saab Aero is the 3.2 lt Busso engine. So you would be looking for a 156 GTA, a very rare car to find in good condition, since production stopped 8 years ago. Besides, Alfa engines consume some oil.

I had an Alfa 156 before getting my Aero. In terms of handling I do not see any big differences. Both cars handle well and stop well (though Alfa brakes a bit better than 9-3). In terms of performance an Aero can be tuned to outperform an Alfa 156. The A156 is difficult and very expensive to tune. Consumption is much lower with the Aero (e.g. city driving 12.5lt/100Km with the Aero, 14.5lt/100Km with the Alfa). The good thing about the Alfa engine is the exhaust sound! It's superb! But the Aero is quieter on highway driving. The 9-3 is a bigger car than the Alfa 156 (4.63m vs 4.40m). The Alfa 159 is in the same category as the 9-3.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I am the second owner and the first only put I think around 30k miles on it. I drive alot! Travel with work, and drive 108 miles a day to work ( round trip)
Whew! That's great. Now how you so new? Just discovered this forum?

And I'm sure several people would like to know your maintenance schedule and what you have had to repair. I can only imagine you've had to replace several components in the suspension and powertrain?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I havnt had to replace much. I changed my shocks, battery, typical stuff like that. I havnt had any problems other than this one that just occured.

I change my oil every 3-5 k miles with mobil1 ow40. Run only premium fuel. Don't drive it hard (that's what my other cars are for).

I wash the car once a week, condition the seats and clean interior once a month.

It reall has been a great car.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just got back from Vegas, Oh Vegas- "WHIVSIV" 1500 miles round trip with a little extra around the city. My car just hit 90000 and it ran like a charm knock on wood, Just kept up with oil changes, serp belt, spark plugs and blower motor went out last year, all minor problems. Planning on hitting close to 300XXX if lucky enough, but highly doubt it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
89k an running great!

Yep. I agree. I bought my '03 Saab Vector (Aero T) with 42k about 3 years ago, and she's been trouble-free and dead-reliable thru today at 89k. I'm pretty certain it's her exercise regimen of daily 100mph doses that keeps her on her toes. :nono;
Couple issues I do need to sort though: install new evaporator (AC leak), put on new rear emblem, de-glaze the discolored headlights, and wipe the smile from my face each morning as I blow past all others on the freeway in my stealth-mobile...:cheesy:

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
tell me when u join the 200k club. Ill be waiting for you.
Well for the V6 I don't think there is a 200k club yet--or anyone even close.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts