SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much easier could it be?! Loaded the s/w on my laptop, plugged in the provided cable to my USB and to the OBD2 port, click next a couple of times and ****! It was done in less than a minute. Much easier than the days of T5suite, or having to mail off your ecu. And the most important part is the performance, she feels great! So much more responsive and a lot more power. I went with the stage 3 s/w since I'd already installed a GS downpipe, midpipe and forge intercooler..... My wagon has an attitude now. He removed the speed limiter as well though I haven't tested it out yet. Launch control is pretty sweet too! Just floor it in neutral and it just sits at whatever RPM it's told to, dump the clutch and go! You can adjust for different tire sizes as well if you're rolling on larger than stock equipment. I doubt I'll bother going to the dyno and certainly won't be going to the track with it. I'm just going to enjoy my little sleeper/grocery getter and enjoy the surprised look on some unsuspecting drivers. Thanks John for the sweet setup! ;ol;

I may get some speedo vids this weekend and post them up for some 60-90 times.....and maybe show off the launch control.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
that's a different tuner (vtune vs JZW)

·
Registered
643 Posts
What was the cost of all this? When you choose the software option, do you need to buy anything else besides the tune?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What was the cost of all this? When you choose the software option, do you need to buy anything else besides the tune?
All of his pricing is on his website, but if you have something specific, just give him a ring.....

http://www.jzwtuning.com/products.shtml

As far as supporting mods.... I knew I'd at least go stage 3, and eventually stage 5 so I did my down and midpipe + intercooler before doing the tune. New plugs(smaller gap) and coil packs(back bank) went in before the tune as well.....lessons learned from the past, makes things easier going forward. So far it's been a smooth experience(other than changing the plugs on the back bank of this 2.8..!) what a PITA!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Moosepuck

See you have both an I4 and a V6. Is your 2.0t tuned? Thinking about buying a V6 myself but really like the instant torque of the I4 down low. I have a JZW tune and found the process with the PPC really easy. What are your thoughts of a tuned V6 vs a tuned I4?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Moosepuck

See you have both an I4 and a V6. Is your 2.0t tuned? Thinking about buying a V6 myself but really like the instant torque of the I4 down low. I have a JZW tune and found the process with the PPC really easy. What are your thoughts of a tuned V6 vs a tuned I4?
I've had a couple of 4cyl's, one was tuned to over 500wtq.... I like the driveability of the V6 much better, it is much more difficult to work on though, but it's still new to me. Our other Saab right now is the wife's car, it's an automatic, we've left it at stage 2 and it's plenty for her. You'll have much more instant torque with the 2.8 vs the 2.0...... it really is a fun combo.... I have zero regrets and am glad I moved to the v6.....go for it!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I've had a couple of 4cyl's, one was tuned to over 500wtq.... I like the driveability of the V6 much better, it is much more difficult to work on though, but it's still new to me. Our other Saab right now is the wife's car, it's an automatic, we've left it at stage 2 and it's plenty for her. You'll have much more instant torque with the 2.8 vs the 2.0...... it really is a fun combo.... I have zero regrets and am glad I moved to the v6.....go for it!
Thanks. There is a Turbo X coming up for auction next week. Will probably bid on it as it has only 28,000 kms. Just not sure about the complexity of the XWD system though. It is a repo job, no spare keys or logbooks.

Good writeup on the spacers as well. Both my 2006 SC and my current 2009 SS are Fusion Blue.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. There is a Turbo X coming up for auction next week. Will probably bid on it as it has only 28,000 kms. Just not sure about the complexity of the XWD system though. It is a repo job, no spare keys or logbooks.

Good writeup on the spacers as well. Both my 2006 SC and my current 2009 SS are Fusion Blue.
Fusion blue is the best! ;ol; I can't speak to the xwd complexity but I do know that Eric has his at stage 5 and I bet it's freaking awesome! I can see that when I'm at stage 5, the fwd might be an issue for me, the awd would really plant the power even though there's more drive-train loss.... go for it and keep us posted!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just got mine gotta go and try it out in a bit. Plugged it into my computer and it blinked a few time but nothing happened on my screen. Is that what happened when you plugged it in? I got windows 7 64bit. I'll call John if nothing happens when I try it in a bit.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got mine gotta go and try it out in a bit. Plugged it into my computer and it blinked a few time but nothing happened on my screen. Is that what happened when you plugged it in? I got windows 7 64bit. I'll call John if nothing happens when I try it in a bit.
You've got to follow the on screen instructions to the T....read every line in the windows... I think you have to have it plugged into your OBD port and the PC when you launch the software... It has to load the drivers for the cable and I think it tells you exactly what should be connected at the time... it will prompt you when to turn the ignition on... and off.... and make sure you know which ECU version you have.... give John a call if you're unsure about anything and at least to confirm your ecu selection.... Mine went very smoothly.... let us know how she feels once you get her tuned!! I'm looking for an excuse to go for a ride again... :cheesy:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Figured it out John had to send me the I-Flash software, I read my ECU and he will get me the tuned file back soon. Will let you know how she feels after its tuned, I did the same thing and replaced the rear 3 coils and all six plugs wish I had gapped them to .85mm as I only went down to .90mm but we will see once I get her running.
Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
297 Posts
JZW is the man, we flashed my first tune and there was an issue where the car wouldn't rev past 1500rpm so I e-mailed him back and fourth a few times and within 30mins he had troubleshot and sent me a new tune. The car screams now breaks the tiers loose at 45 in a straight line. Recomend the I-Flash tuner to everyone because of the ability to re-flash multiple times and the ability to go back to stock.

·
Registered
283 Posts

I had my eye on this too. Until I read the inspection report with the damage to the back door/panel and the fact that it's an auto. I have an Auto Aero now and I really want to get into a manual...

Any ideas on what you think something like this would go for?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I had my eye on this too. Until I read the inspection report with the damage to the back door/panel and the fact that it's an auto. I have an Auto Aero now and I really want to get into a manual...

Any ideas on what you think something like this would go for?
Probably less than $30K. Main issue for me is that it is a repo job, no logbooks or spare key. Sick of buying spare keys!!! My wife cant drive a manual so pretty well stuck with the auto option for me.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think there are more tuned autos on the road than manuals, and they can be fun too!

Here's a short video i just took... i couldn't get it embedded, it'll just take you to my photobucket page. The little turbo tries so hard but starts to run out of breath up top, a 19T will take care of that within a few months. Tons o fun!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Probably less than $30K. Main issue for me is that it is a repo job, no logbooks or spare key. Sick of buying spare keys!!! My wife cant drive a manual so pretty well stuck with the auto option for me.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it was thrashed/neglected before it was reposesed. A dealer will probably buy it, touch it up and whack another 10k on it.

Oh, BTW. I'm in the US ATM. Managed to pickup a brand new spare for 70 bucks (without the blade). So they aren't as expensive as they were.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I think there are more tuned autos on the road than manuals, and they can be fun too!

Here's a short video i just took... i couldn't get it embedded, it'll just take you to my photobucket page. The little turbo tries so hard but starts to run out of breath up top, a 19T will take care of that within a few months. Tons o fun!

Problem with the 19t is that it out flows the injectors, so you would need to upgrade those as well (to see power past 5000). A tuned auto is fun as well but not quite as fast.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts