Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello again:D

today was a mod day for me.:cheesy:
i went to a store and bought 4 of these
http://www.sparkplugs.com/more_info.asp?AAIA=1428612&pid=16591
for 53euros.
went to my local saab dealer....payed 20euros extra to get them installed.
(i didnt have the precice tool kit to do on my own)

after 1 hour driving car idles better......lower inside cabin noise.
the throttle response to the pedal is better...

but the biggest good impact was on fuel consumption.
before....with the Saab OEM spark plugs i had 8-8.5 lt/km

after the change with the NGK double platinum 7.8-8.2 lt/km and trying to keep same driving conditions on same road trip.

so...my first mod totally worth every penny spent:cool:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ctrlz said:
Sounds good.
So what did your old ones look like?
How many miles (or km) on old plugs?
aye....sorry for not posting that info also.
the old ones were in good condition......a little brownie and not that burned out black and oily i ve seen on other threads.....

though the previous plugs had not more than 30k km on them.:D

p.s. the guy that installed them at dealer told me that he personally sticks to the OEM spark plugs on his car......and even though the ones from NGK that i supplied him were the same type and had same specs he said that because his experience on modded spark plugs wasnt that good that s the reason for not recommending them.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I stuck to OEMs ones for the last change about 15000km ago. Did not have noticeable change in performance then.

I wonder if BSR Stg 1 is ok with more 'advanced' plugs......anyone care to confirm?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update

As you may remember, a couple of months ago I replaced my stock spark plugs with NGKs, and I've been hearing a light ticking noise from the engine at idle ever since.
I still haven't been able to resolve the issue, and I was wondering if it has something to do with the tightening torque and the spark plug cables? Faulty connection or contact, or anything of the sort?
I should mention that the gap of the new spark plugs is within specifications, i.e. 0,9 - 1,1 mm

at NGK's site the Double Platinum i installed are ok for the 1.8i model also.
though on the manual of the car says that
1.8i has 0.9-1.1mm and 25Nm type ones
and
2.0t has 0.9-1.0mm and 28Nm type.

i am a bit confused.......
plz any help is welcomed:eek:

·
Registered
115 Posts
NGK Rs are a great plug.
The trick is to get a colder heat range when you start upping boost, to keep ignition timing consistant.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Turbeau said:
NGK Rs are a great plug.
The trick is to get a colder heat range when you start upping boost, to keep ignition timing consistant.
Could you link me to that product? More specifically the exact plug i'd need for that. I was trying to decipher the NGK product code but..I got so confused (it looks like a map for a map, with a reference map combined) I just want to have the reference for when I drop the rest of the money on the Stage 4 kit.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Err, Hrmm, Sorry frosty, I don't know exactly which heat range is right for you. My suggestion would be to goto autozone, find out what heat range they recommend stock ( in that brand ) and find out which is 1 or 2 range colder plug.

Remeber, the colder the plug the faster they will foul, and can potentially increase emissions at idle, poor / harder cold start. I doubt it will be enough to offset your piece of mind. Ive seen going a couple of heat ranges colder kill 4 degrees of knock.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Wasn't really going to do anything extreme, just curious though - Might be a good idea just to put in a range colder plug when going to the track during the summer. Couldn't hurt, right?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
....by means of messing my question about a possible spark plug problem at a 1.8i 93................and your discussion .........if, and which NGK spark plugs models are ideal for a bsr stage turbo one 93.......

anyone to moderate and clean this thread and move the offtopic posts on a new one?
thnx

·
Registered
115 Posts
buddy chill out. We are having a conversation about the spark plugs you are talking about. They are pretty related. I even gave advice as to which I suggest.

Goto autozone and figure out which NGK-Rs are equivalent to the stockers, and get a heat range colder...

:confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.