SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2003 9-3 Linear 2.0t It has 70,000 miles on it. Its automatic with manual mode. I have had it for one week now. I dont know how to check the transmission fluid or if you can at all. The reason im asking is because it has slipped on me 3 or 4 times this week. Im not sure if its normal if it slips in 3rd or 4th iv never owned a saab before. Like some kind of safety thing or I hope the trany isnt going bad. Is there anything like the timing belt and water pump deal that you need to do on volkswagens. I there anything like that on saabs? Whats a good website where i can get parts online? Thanks

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I really want to channel my inner JonV here, but unfortunately the magical search function has decided to take a vacation.

Transmission slipping is not something you should experience on an automatic. That is definitely a bad sign. Did you check for service records before buying the car? At 60k miles the transmission fluid should be change, along with spark plugs, oil and filter, air filter, and serpentine belt. There is no timing belt on these cars, it's a chain and I have not heard of anyone having to replace it on here. For parts you have eeuroparts, genuinesaab.com, thesaabsite.com, saabparts.net, and partsforsaabs.com which is a UK based operation.

With that out of the you really need to start at the link below for How to and read the stickies.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83969

·
Registered
864 Posts
What I am experiencing is transmission flaring, my rpms will go up by about 500-800 before switching the gear but I don't feel it going to neutral.

This only happens after highway drive or when really cold.
I bothered me a lot but now I just live with it.
It happens to a lot of people here with '03 and '04
A messed up tranny will likely throw a code or Gearbox Malfunction message.

If search worked you would have found a ton of info, but some
threads get little too paranoid... :)

MY03 had service campaign for O-ring replacement, which could lead to coolant leak into transmission. You can verify if it was done to your car, by looking VIN# up at the dealer.

Check out this thread:
DIY fluid replacement with lots of pictures, very informative
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154554

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm receiving a new transmission in mine @ 70K. Bring it in to be on the safe side. Be sure to ride with the tech and point out when it does it. They tried pulling the I can't replicate it thing on me and then I showed them within ten seconds.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm looking at getting an '03 linear, is this only an issue with the automatics or is it with the manual transmission as well? I'm looking at getting the latter of the two.

thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts

my transmisson has had flaring between 2nd and 3rd since I bought it with 30,000 km . It is a known fault with 03 . The dealer did a software upgrade and changed the O -rings to the rad.It got alot better
It does not do it in auto and only sometimes in manual mode .I now have 72000km. I have warranty till 120,000 or 18 more months ,I have not changed the fluid yet.
I know it uses a toyota fuild ,but I'm sure I read on here some people have used mobil syn transfluid that meets the toyota spec.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When i start from a stop, after five yard or so or after it shifts in to second i get like a shakey side to side motion but only for like a sec or two, could this be something to do with the trany? Or Maybe some thing is out of alignmet?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Were you under the waranty? And was this trough the saab dealer. And im the 3 owner so does that matter? I bought myne from the nissan dealer and they gave me a 1200mi/30 day waranty. Could they do it or the saab dealer?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Were you under the waranty? And was this trough the saab dealer. And im the 3 owner so does that matter? I bought myne from the nissan dealer and they gave me a 1200mi/30 day waranty. Could they do it or the saab dealer?
I would definitely take it in before the warranty expires......If you need a new tranny, it could cost around $4000.00. I had a similar issue and after software upgrade and valve rebuild Saab put in a new tranny.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts