SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just got new front brake rotors and pads put on my '99 9-3. (Brembo rotors/SAAB Akebono Ceramic pads). Now when driving (while not braking) I get a sqeeek squeek squeek squeek like something is rubbing. Its really like a scraping sound. What could this be? It's late now, I called my mech and he's gone. I'll call tomorrow, but will I damage anything by driving the car until then?

Thanks!

Alex

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
could be the dust shield on the back of the rotor, sometimes it gets pushed during the install and get too close to the spinning rotor, easy to fix.

·
Registered
365 Posts
SAABturboDRIVR said:
Hi guys,

I just got new front brake rotors and pads put on my '99 9-3. (Brembo rotors/SAAB Akebono Ceramic pads). Now when driving (while not braking) I get a sqeeek squeek squeek squeek like something is rubbing. Its really like a scraping sound. What could this be? It's late now, I called my mech and he's gone. I'll call tomorrow, but will I damage anything by driving the car until then?

Thanks!

Alex
It's probably just a backing plate/dust shield, not a big deal, if it’s braking, handling, and driving fine then it will be good until tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
2 things:

a] As above, dust shield.

b] The retainer spring across the outside face of the caliper, is this installed correctly?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ragtopcav said:
2 things:

a] As above, dust shield.

b] The retainer spring across the outside face of the caliper, is this installed correctly?
Thanks guys,

ragtopcav = if it is option b], is there any consequence of me driving with it like this for a while?

thanks!

Alex

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was able to fix it myself :)

I just went outside with a screwdriver and pushed the rotor shield away from the rotor at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions, and now the noise is gone.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Good:cheesy:

The dust shield is a common problem with many cars.

You repaired a possible mechanic's comeback, he should thank you..:cheesy:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts