SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had it for a few months now and am loving it. Its a 2000 9-3 convertible and man is it quick. But I've noticed that at higher RPMS say 300-400 before RedLine I start losing power, and Im thinking that I may not be getting the proper air flow at those rpms. What would you guys reccamend? Do I just need a new filter? Or is something more needed?

I have looked but cant really find to many performance parts or an order of importance, what would you guys reccamend?

Thanks for the Help and like said is a 2000, 9-3

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
No issues, just your engine working outside of it's peak efficiency range. Seems normal.

No real reason to redline it if it falls on it's face up there anyway...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have the automatic version of the car, and it shifts at redline in sport mode, is there a way to change that in the computer?

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
The auto ecu maps for less torque and less boost so that you still have a little left up top. You are trading off low end torque and boost for a little more power up top. You could have the car ecu remapped to have lower boost down low and it would hold power better up top, but the car would still be slower that way in my opinion.

The way we get more power up top is to put a larger turbo on the car and this enables the car to have more power up higher in the rpm band.

Small turbo= good low end grunt and a little mid-range, no good top.

Medium turbo= worse low end grunt, better mid to upper mid range power and just a little up top.

Large turbo = no bottom end grunt, ok midrange and balls out power up top.

Cams do help a lot to help the motor breath up top with a big turbo. Guys are getting another 30-40whp up top with big turbos that can flow efficiently up there high in the rpm and in combination with the cams.

Its all a trade-off, what do you want out of the car? The size of the turbo will decide where in the rpm band you make the power;)

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, I was hoping for something alil cheaper to start out with rather then a whole new turbo :)

Are their any air intakes that would help? Because to put it bluntly whenever I race my friends prelude ( completely stripped with some work under the hood ) I pull right after a shift, we stay even mid and then he starts catching back up right before my car shifts. (All of this done on a private air strip of course.)
And since this is a close friend who lives within blocks, its all about bragging rights.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Take out the back seat and the jack and tire when you race him :D sounds stupid but it will probably help signifigantly. (but balance is destroyed).

Honestly there is not a cheap fix other than removing weight, but perhaps shifting right before redline might help the saab has a lot of midrange power anyway

·
Registered
79 Posts
Have you tried just driving the car with the trans in its normal mode? If you get on the gas hard enough in 'normal' mode, it'll still rev pretty high. My V6 is quicker in sport mode, but if the turbo has that much midrange it might be just right for a drag in normal mode. Higher shift points don't always equate to qucker runs, especially if the power starts to cut out.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Get a MBC+A, you will have him them, and it only cost $75.

EDIT: just saw you have a T7, so you would need a SMBC, doesn't give as much power, but will help with spool time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I may go for a run and see what happens. And bad news my good friend with the prelude, totaled it hes perfectly fine, but the closest car to mine is now out of comission. May update later, with info on the Normal mode.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
If DFW means Dallas/Fort Worth, you could bennefit from a better intercooler. Look into Forge or somethig similar. As you car boosts, all the intake system heats up, and the car will pull back power till things cool back down.

Come summer time down there you will really notice it.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Tweek's Turbos said:
If DFW means Dallas/Fort Worth, you could bennefit from a better intercooler. Look into Forge or somethig similar. As you car boosts, all the intake system heats up, and the car will pull back power till things cool back down.

Come summer time down there you will really notice it.
very very ture. an i/c is a great place to start. But we still need to know how much money he can afford to spend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts