SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my 1999 Saab delivered. It's a bit more scratched than I thought but no big deal. I did notice a few things I wanted to ask about.

The check engine light was on and I was wondering if I need an ODBII reader to pull the codes.

Also, there is a "display info" light in the middle of the speedometer that is lit. What can you tell me about that.

Lastly, this car does not have a CD changer. I was wondering if the wiring might be there and if I can used an after market changer with it.

My CID is not working but I may send that out unless someone has one they want to sell.

Oh yeah, there is a plug in the trunk behind the license plate that looks unused. I was wondering if that was for a trailer?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
dmtinker said:
The check engine light was on and I was wondering if I need an ODBII reader to pull the codes.?
Yes or Tech 2

dmtinker said:
Also, there is a "display info" light in the middle of the speedometer that is lit. What can you tell me about that.?
Ths tells you there is a message on the SID panel - like "washer fluid low" or summit else

dmtinker said:
Lastly, this car does not have a CD changer. I was wondering if the wiring might be there and if I can used an after market changer with it.?
The car is prewired - behind the carpet in the trunk - but only the Saab CD changer works.

dmtinker said:
My CID is not working but I may send that out unless someone has one they want to sell.?
Some good repairers with warranties on ebay - or some self help fixes via the search facility

dmtinker said:
Oh yeah, there is a plug in the trunk behind the license plate that looks unused. I was wondering if that was for a trailer?
Tow bar electrics probably..........

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Behind the carpet where? I read that the wiring may not always be there.

BTW and thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
one thing I also noticed that I forgot to mention is that I noticed a 'rattling' that sort of sounds like a fan belt pully, but not quite. It actually sounds like plastic rattling. Unfortunately, I can't see down where the belt is because it's covered by some aluminum piece. Is that just a cover or does it have some other function? Is this a common noise or is there a common failure associated with the fan belt system?

·
Registered
230 Posts
dmtinker said:
one thing I also noticed that I forgot to mention is that I noticed a 'rattling' that sort of sounds like a fan belt pully, but not quite. It actually sounds like plastic rattling. Unfortunately, I can't see down where the belt is because it's covered by some aluminum piece. Is that just a cover or does it have some other function? Is this a common noise or is there a common failure associated with the fan belt system?
That aluminum piece your talking about is part of the right hand engine mount. The idler pulley is prone to failure and it is made of plastic. If you don't have service records it might be a good idea to change it.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Congrats on the new 9-5.

Fill up the tank and see if the CEL goes off. Play aroudn with the gas cap a bit too.

Drop the sump.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pab95 said:
That aluminum piece your talking about is part of the right hand engine mount. The idler pulley is prone to failure and it is made of plastic. If you don't have service records it might be a good idea to change it.
Is it the idler puller prone to failure or the tensioner pulley? Are they as be to change as a 9000?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
woywitka said:
Congrats on the new 9-5.

Fill up the tank and see if the CEL goes off. Play aroudn with the gas cap a bit too.

Drop the sump.
I've heard that a lot about the sump. Just so I'm clear, the sump being the oil pan? I just want to make sure we weren't talking about different things.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
dmtinker said:
Just so I'm clear, the sump being the oil pan?.
Correct! ;)

But only do this to the 4cyl not the V6........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts