SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my college car was an '85 non turbo three door. I've always wanted to get my hands on a minter SPG, but they're a bit few and far between, and getting fewer and farther each day. This is probably my 13th or 14th Saab, and although this isn't the one I've been holding my breath for, especially since it's an auto, a manual conversion can be on the list of things to do in the future.

What I did find is a rust free, super solid '91 16V turbo with a barely broken in 129,000km on it for a bargain and a half. Couldn't pass it up...

It's not without it's need for TLC, although it is mostly cosmetic. The drivers seat (and by default to keep the colours matched, the passenger's seat) need to be recovered. Dash has cracks galore. Headliner has been recovered with truly bizarre material. Bumper trim is hazy and cracked, and the rub strips all around look like they're made of melting chocolate cake... Typical Saab stuff.

I think I'll start with the seats. In the community's opinion, where would be best place to look for these covers? I want to spring for real leather, since I got a good deal on this car, and the aim is to bring it back to it's former glory, or at least as close to it as I can.

Also, dash... I know replacement dash caps were once available. When they are installed, do they look fairly factory? I could repair the cracks and refinish the existing dash, but I don't know how well that would hold up over time, especially in the severe Japanese summer sun.

Headliner, I can handle with the old board and some new material...

Has anybody done anything with the bumper trim to spruce it up or renew it?

Thanks all in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I have a dash cap I procured from sasaab or whatever you get them. I like it. I know it's there, no other civilian has even mentioned it. Meaning you see where it begins and ends but is a better look than large, sun baked convertible dash board cracks. Side note, I tried restoring the dashboard once, I have a thread on here somewhere at despite a Herculean effort, all cracks came back. My other dash has no cracks. Enough about that.

Bumper? You can respray with SEM brand metallic spray. It's pretty close to OEM. There's a bunch of thread out there regarding. With the proper model number too. The decora trim that fits in the bumper is broadcast-ed and available at many auto body supply places, just measure it and look for it. I bought a 50 ft roll of it.

There's some out fit on ebay that sells new covers, I can't speak to their quality. I search for original skins and pulled them out of junkyards and searching craigslists and befriending random Saab hoarders, bought an entire vert interior once that the guy had sitting in his garage since 1993..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts