SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 95 has a laundry list of issues - but the two big ones I took it in for were dead AC/Heat and burnt up tension pulley.

They discovered the source of my oil leak: crank positioning sensor.
They also discovered my gas tank is leaking - on top from one of the sensor bungs. Since it's a plastic tank - they recommend replacing it. $800.00

AC had only 1/2 lb of freon - they charged it but it has the blend door problem (01-08) so that will be $350. (I can't figure out how to do it - left hand drive car).

They did say the ball joints and shock/struts/springs were fine. Weird handling due to cheap Kumho tires.

Other issues include:

Bad SID
Wacky fuel gauge
Rear light failure
Fecked up moon roof (busted bracket)
Burned out alarm battery
Needs alignment
Fog lights held in place by wire (hillbilly method)
Possible exhaust leak

102K miles. Still runs like a mofo and looks great.

I'm going to drive it until it dies. Resale value is squat. People don't want used Saabs - especially a 99.

I'll probably use some epoxy to attempt a repair on gas tank. If that doesn't work, I'll look into replacing the tank myself.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TROLLhattenschatten said:
Tough luck man.

Try parting her out when your done.
thats what i'm doing to my 900.
you can get $1000+ if you strip EVERYTHING.
Not a bad idea. I'm going to drive her for another year if I can. Don't really need another car payment right now. What kills me is that it still runs like a raped ape. And still looks great. The trouble is that doing all of the repairs is more expensive than the value of the car - (value around here is about $4500 US.) And that depends on finding a buyer. When I put it up for sale about two years ago, I didn't get a single offer.

It's been a great car - I still like Saabs. This one just suffers from being a 99.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
pmonfre said:
My 99 95 has a laundry list of issues - but the two big ones I took it in for were dead AC/Heat and burnt up tension pulley.

They discovered the source of my oil leak: crank positioning sensor. $45 DIY
They also discovered my gas tank is leaking - on top from one of the sensor bungs. Since it's a plastic tank - they recommend replacing it. $800.00 Go with your repair method first.

AC had only 1/2 lb of freon - they charged it but it has the blend door problem (01-08) so that will be $350. (I can't figure out how to do it - left hand drive car).

They did say the ball joints and shock/struts/springs were fine. Weird handling due to cheap Kumho tires.

Other issues include:

Bad SID $95 for repair
Wacky fuel gauge Might be related to tank issue, look for loose/pinched wire
Rear light failure $2 for new lamp DIY
Fecked up moon roof (busted bracket) for air deflector?
Burned out alarm battery $20 for new batteries DIY
Needs alignment
Fog lights held in place by wire (hillbilly method) So are mine, so what.
Possible exhaust leak

102K miles. Still runs like a mofo and looks great.

I'm going to drive it until it dies. Resale value is squat. People don't want used Saabs - especially a 99.

I'll probably use some epoxy to attempt a repair on gas tank. If that doesn't work, I'll look into replacing the tank myself.
Most of these items can be inexpensive DIY projects. My 2000lpt has 214,000 miles, still runs and looks great, but no resale, so I will be driving it to 300,000 miles or more!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
These are all easy DIY items.

Starting with the gas tank. There is a kit at Autozone to repair leaky gas tanks. It's like $7. Like stated above, the Crankshaft Position Sensor is less than $50 and takes all of 5 minutes to change out. Use this time to get to know the car better. If you are going to be driving a Saab with over 100k, you need to learn the DIYs for it. The CPS, Fuel Pump and DIC are all going to bite you sooner or later. All are DIY if you have patience. I wouldn't scrap a car that needs $200 worth of DIY for a $20k new payment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts