SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Hi Vardar, I have split your last few posts out of the thread that Chris 9-5 started.

Stage One - tell us more!

As most of us started with a Stage One upgrade (of whoever's brand) it would be cool to share thoughts and opinions as to the difference and how satified you were?
We try where we can to keep the threads running on the topic that they were started with, this makes it easier for fellow Saabers to find the info that they need. You are welcome to start a thread yourself if you wish for information or to start a debate.. :D

I would think that most of us that have modded our cars have been through the Tuners respective websites and compared the figures that they state. You have to take a number of things into consideration when choosing your tuner, but mostly its a subjective choice. Some give more BHP but less torque. Others offer superb reliability such as Hirsch. I myself use Abbott Racing upgrades. They are one of the more expensive tuners to use, but they are only a few miles down the road from me and I can get bespoke mapping for each and every mod I make. However if you only want a stage 1 or two upgrade then Abbott isnt really the most econimical choice. You have to look at the bigger picture and try and decide where you eventualy want your car to be in terms of performance, it maybe that if you are looking to get to a stage 4 or 5 then maybe the BSR is not the one to go for. But if you only want to liven up the performance of your car without investing thousands of $$$ then its deffo the way to go.

Like yourself there are plenty of owners who are just starting out on performance upgrades but dont want any complications or to be involved or have any real interest in the upgrade process, so they take the car to a dealership and have them put on the Saab performance upgrade. This suits them well and the upgrade is good and reliable.

You pays your money, you takes your choice :cool:

·
Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your advice.
I finally got my finances ready as we are speaking. Got an extra $2000 credit increase on my credit card :eek: !!!!

I don't know which brand of upgrade to buy?

Is BSR best to go with?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Just stick with the major companies and you won't go wrong, BSR, Nordic, Maptun are 3 that spring to mind. See what you can get the best deal on, the stg 1 & 2 upgrades will all be within 5bhp of each other.

·
Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yesterday I was on a site that it was $800. Now it is $911! I am confused, I surfed all the Saab sites, can't locate that BSR PPC that increases the hp by an extra 64HP. Can you please help me locate that site?

Also, how does it work? I order it, they program and send it to me, and I plug it in?
Is that it?

Thank you

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
How is the upgrade performed?
You connect the BSR PPC™ Tuning System cable to your car’s Tech II diagnostic connector. Press the 'Enter' button when the PPC asks 'Tune car?', after just minutes the new settings are loaded into your ECU and that’s it, it really is as simple as that! Use the same procedure to return your car to its original factory settings. You can repeat this procedure as often as you like.

Are upgrades available for my car?
PPC™ Tuning System upgrades are available for all Saab’s using the Saab Trionic 7 and Trionic 8 system. That includes the later Saab 9-3 models, all Saab 9-3 Sports Saloon/Sedan & Convertible models and all Saab 9-5 models. Please contact us for more details.

Can I use my PPC™ unit to upgrade more than one car?
No, the PPC™ unit is mated to the first car that is upgraded.

How does the PPC™ Tuning System know that it is upgrading the correct car?
Safety checks are performed to verify that the car has the expected software before the actual upgrade starts.

What do I do if the current software in my car does not match what PPC™ Tuning System expects?
If the safety check fails, the system offers the ability to read your cars current settings. This information can then be transmitted to BSR by connecting the PPC™ Tuning System to an Internet connected Personal Computer. BSR’s developers will then analyze the cars settings and create a new upgrade. This can then be loaded back into the PPC™ Tuning System via your Internet connected Personal Computer and reinstalled in your car.

How does PPC™ communicate with my home computer?
By using a standard RS232 or USB port available on most Personal Computers.

Can I use PPC™ if my cars ECU has already been upgraded?
Your car’s ECU must be returned to its original configuration before you are able to use the BSR PPC™ system.

Can I use PPC™ with any ECU upgrades?
BSR’s PPC™ system can only be used with the ECU upgrades that BSR have developed and provided for your car.

How do I upgrade my PPC™ to latest software version?
If BSR develops a new enhanced version of the tuning program for your car we will notify our customers via e-mail and also provide instructions on how to download this new information into the BSR PPC™ Tuning System using your personal computer with Internet connection. Enhanced versions of same 'Stage' software will be provided at no additional charge.

Can I request a customised software upgrade?
No, you must choose one of the upgrades BSR has already developed for your car:

• Stage 1: Stage 1 BSR PPC™ ECU upgrade.
  • Stage 2: Stage 2 BSR PPC™ ECU, Performance air filter and a BSR 2.5” Catalytic converter back performance exhaust.
What grade of fuel should I use once my car is upgraded with the PPC™?
95 or 98 RON?
To achieve the indicated power for BSR tuning, 98 RON must be used. 95 RON doesn't provide the full increase of power. Generally, also with original settings, 98 RON provides more power, fuel saving, increased durability and reduced emissions. BSR optimizes for 98 RON. Stage 1-2 can manage 95 RON but Stage 3 or more require 98 RON.

98 RON (EU) = 88 MON = 93 RON+MON/2 (USA)
RON= Research Octane Number, MON= Motor Octane Number

You can buy the BSR PPC from www.partsforsaabs.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts