SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The East Anglian Saab dealers are holding an event this weekend in Suffolk and invited guests to drive the new 9-3.
Actually I got to drive the 9-5 Aero as well :D

What's it like? Doesn't feel as solid as the 9-5, but has some great details, the ignition is in the right place but you no longer have to put it in reverse. To lock the steering column you simply remove the key! Folks across the pond will be happy...plenty of cup holders!!!

I drove the top of the range 2.0t Vector, the Aero is not out til the end of the year. Felt good to drive, great brakes and plenty of power, though didn't feel as quick as my 900. It might just be a psychological thing though.
Brilliant interior, well put together and good to see the usual little saabisms i.e. night panel, fancy airvents. Not sure if I felt like I was driving a Saab though if you know what I mean. But then, I've only driven classic 900's and a couple of 9000's. Oh and a little sonett III in the carpark this morning!! :D :D

There was a huge amount of interest around the car but I still prefer the 9-5.

Dave

·
Registered
28 Posts
:roll:

Dave mate....you've caused a bit of consternation with your "prefer the 9-5" comment. :eek: Each to his own obviously and all that, as I guess it depends on your perpsective.

The 9-5 is certainly very roomy , but surely you can't think it handles as well? :eek: :eek: I must admit I havn't driven any of the really powerful 9-5's, I think the one I drove a year or so ago was the 2.3 LPT 170bhp or thereabouts. It was a great cruiser and VERY comfortable, but absolutely not sporty. I think that's the difference with the new 9-3 and why I'm excited about it, the fact that it handles so well. :D You may have seen my post in this forum, but anyway, I reckon its easily the best production Saab (ever) in the handling dept (except for my '73 96 obviously).

Also, I was curious whether the new one would be a Saab and not a Vauxhall, but IMHO it's definitely a SAAB, having made myself unselfishly unpopular by asking a lot of difficult questions at the dealership :wink:

Cheers,

Rich
900 SE Auto - 1996 - Silver
96 - 1973 - Dung Brown
Honda Jazz (Ahem) :eek:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rich,

Over the weekend both myself and Simon got to drive the top of the range 9-3 2.0t Vector and 9-5 Aero back to back. I drove them twice!

My opinion may have been different had I not driven the Aero as the performance was simply stunning and yes the 9-3 is still very much a Saab, the interior as I said before is brilliant and I'm glad to see the little Saab touches like the airvents etc.
I do have one major moan about the 9-3. It looks good but it is far too similar to the 9-5. It lacks its own identity. Many people at the event were getting themselves confused!

I agree that the new 9-3 is a great drivers car, the steering felt incredibly sharp, just a little too much actually, and felt very pointy. I do have to say that the 9-3 would be much quicker through the twisty bits giving more confidence as the 9-5 can't disguise its bulk in the bends. The 9-5 certainly didn't feel wallowy obviously but it felt very sure-footed. To me the 9-5 was a much more solid and complete car.

Put it this way, I walked away from the 9-3 feeling that Saab have done a cracking job and I'm sure it will entice many, but I walked away from the 9-5 Aero with a grin the size of Cheshire, totally impressed. :eek: :D

That said, the 9-3 Aero with its six speed box has yet to be driven....

Dave.

p.s. Simon...any comments?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Just re-read the posts and noticed that it was the Aero that Dave tried. The one I tried was just a standard model.

Actually, have never driven an Aero, but can't go back a third time or they'll spot that I'm Billy-no-mates just out for something to do in my lunch hour.... :eek:

Mark P

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting!!

Just been reading the CAR magazine report on the new 9-3 (september issue) and read that the car has passive rear wheel steering called 'ReAxs'. Might explain what I felt and wrote:
, the steering felt incredibly sharp, just a little too much actually,
The car was obviously helping me go round. 8)

Also, why badge the 150 bhp version 1.8t when it is a 2 litre????

Dave

·
Registered
774 Posts
Dave B said:
why badge the 150 bhp version 1.8t when it is a 2 litre????
Marketing people! I hate 'em. I'm an engineer... :evil:

Honestly, some of them don't live in the real world. If only you could hear some of the press's comments on our products, yet the marketing people seem to rule the company :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Dammn and Blast it, I was supposed to get to that event but was otherwise engaged - sounds like I missed some fun!

You may have seen my post in this forum, but anyway, I reckon its easily the best production Saab (ever) in the handling dept (except for my '73 96 obviously).
You are of course correct Rich, you haven't experienced SAAB handling at it's best until you have had a 96 on it's door handles round a bend!.

·
Registered
3 Posts
try the new vector 9-3 175hp

the dealer know that i always drive fast, so he drive fast, but in that time i don't know he was a ancien rally driver, with a "old" 9-3 when you take a curve at 90 km/h with the new you can take the same curve at 130 km/h... :cheesy:

i want the new 9-3 but my wife doesnt look the same way... :nono;

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: try the new vector 9-3 175hp

sexspot said:
I had a same kind of problems, my five really liked new
Mazda6 GT, after hard work I manage her to test new
9-3SS 8)

Now we are waiting our Saab in 5 weeks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: try the new vector 9-3 175hp

Tomile said:
sexspot said:
I had a same kind of problems, my five really liked new
Mazda6 GT, after hard work I manage her to test new
9-3SS 8)

Now we are waiting our Saab in 5 weeks.
she have a polo 1.4 liter and she dont want a 9-3 cabrio, so i can't buy the new 9-3 :roll:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts