SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I cleaned my IAC valve according to the general directions given here:
http://pages.infinit.net/mlbriand/saab/iac/page1.html

The problem that I'm having is that I am getting a really high idle now, around 1500 rpm or so, sometimes bouncing between like 1200 and 2000. I don't think there is anything stuck in the valve, so I don't know quite what the problem is. I might try cleaning it out again with brake cleaner tomorrow and simply skip the oiling part to see if that does anything.
Does anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
What was your idle like before the cleaning? I'd say pop the IAC off again, gently roll it around to see if the valve within moves freely with the motion, if it moves freely on it's axis, might be something else. Perhaps knocked a vacuum line loose or the IAC hoses weren't quite connected all the way after the reinstall.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
The problem that I'm having is that I am getting a really high idle now, around 1500 rpm or so, sometimes bouncing between like 1200 and 2000.
The idle can hunt like that between 1200 and 1800 if the throttle position sensor connector is loose or disconnected. The TP sensor is close to the IAC valve, and it does not take much to knock the wire clip on the connector loose. If not connected, the idle will start high, then drop down, then up again etc.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car idled perfect before I decided to be an idiot and clean the IAC. I just knew it hadn't been cleaned in a long time so I thought I ought to.

The car is now idling high or bouncing between high and higher. There shouldn't be any vaccum leaks, as my boost gauge is still reading normal vaccum levels.

How delicate is the IAC? Could I have broken it by shaking it to get the extra cleaner out?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Do this :

Slaab4life said:
What was your idle like before the cleaning? I'd say pop the IAC off again, gently roll it around to see if the valve within moves freely with the motion, if it moves freely on it's axis, might be something else. Perhaps knocked a vacuum line loose or the IAC hoses weren't quite connected all the way after the reinstall.
And assure that the TC is still connected.
Take your time during these procedures.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Dude, are you sure you have it in the right way? I cleaned my IAC and put it in backwards. My throttle hung and all sorts of weird stuff...just make sure it's in the right way...

-Avinash

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I did indeed make sure that I had the IAC on the right way. When I began having problems I searched through the boards, and looked at the other Saab resources around.
Oddly enough, I did try installing it backwards just 'cause, and the car idled BETTER with the unit backwards. It didn't jump as much and it idled lower (still higher than it should though), maybe 1200 rpm rather than 1600.

Yes I've checked the vaccum lines.

I think that I checked to make sure the TPS is still plugged in correctly... It is the object that I have circled and arrowed, correct??

At this point I'm just starting to think I did something to break my IAC, which is a huge bummer since they list for $350! I am going to try to see if I can't find one in a parts car at on of my local Saab indies tomorrow. Does anyone know if the IAC unit is the same across a lot of the different models, such as the 900 n/a, the 9000 turbos, etc?

The Bosch part number is: 0 280 140 544

thanks

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
What you have circled in the pictures is the TPS.

JABM said:
Does anyone know if the IAC unit is the same across a lot of the different models, such as the 900 n/a, the 9000 turbos, etc?
Checking eeuroparts.com part numbers against the different models:
It appears you share the same AIC as the '97 9000 CS and CSE (both have the same Bosch number). The '97 900S does NOT share the same AIC though.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
If you shook it hard, you could have upset the spring for the gate inside the IAC. If it was real dirty, there could be some blowby oil sticking. See if the gate swings back freely. Make sure the arrow on the IAC is pointed away from the TB. Check the wire connection to make sure it is properly connected. How about the harness for the TPS as well. Since you were working in that area, brittle wiring could be upset.

Any friends around to plug their IAC in for a quick idle check? That may rule out buying a used IAC quick. Make sure the hoses to and from the IAV are firmly attahced without leaks. That would wreak havoc with your idle as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts