SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic won't put it in. Then said he would. Now he doesn't have the tools to do the entire flush that I purchased the oil for.

I don't know what do to nor have the tools for a flush to get to the torque converter. I have the WIS program and will dig into it deeper.

Any help appreciated. I have heard yes and no on putting synthetic ATF in the saab 6slushbox aisin.

What do you guys think. Just change and drain? I also heard that you have to "flush" the whole transmission and not just merely "change" it.
I bought it with 85k it now has 125 98% highway

Thanks guys,
good to be back

·
Super Moderator
1,429 Posts
My mechanic won't put it in. Then said he would. Now he doesn't have the tools to do the entire flush that I purchased the oil for.

I don't know what do to nor have the tools for a flush to get to the torque converter. I have the WIS program and will dig into it deeper.

Any help appreciated. I have heard yes and no on putting synthetic ATF in the saab 6slushbox aisin.

What do you guys think. Just change and drain? I also heard that you have to "flush" the whole transmission and not just merely "change" it.
I bought it with 85k it now has 125 98% highway

Thanks guys,
good to be back
Older thread, but wondering how this worked out for you?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Something this important & basic deserves it's quick+obvious solution (or my 2 cents)

There's a couple things I know for sure, the Saab 9000's and 9-5 Manual transmissions need to be flushed as in filled up with new fluid TWO times, that is if your not 100% sure what's already in there, because: When Saab+GM switched the 9000's Transmission Fluid to GM's formula, the remaining residual liquid from Saab's previous fluid would mix with it [badly] causing foaming, bubbling, and ultimately accumulating wear and tear in record time.

So while I can't be certain about an automatic, if no-one else comments then here's a quick and easy way to find out:
1) If you don't know what fluid is currently in there, there's no way to tell if or how it'll react. A used car dealership might have spiked it with sawdust for all you know ;).
2) If you know what's in it, call the support line to AMSoil and find their instructions/if it can safely mix, etc. [and make sure you write down the name of whoever you talked to!]

There's a couple things I know for sure, the Saab 9000's and 9-5 Manual transmissions need to be flushed as in filled up with new fluid TWO times, that is if your not 100% sure what's already in there, because: When Saab+GM switched the 9000's Transmission Fluid to GM's formula, the remaining residual liquid from Saab's previous fluid would mix with it [badly] causing foaming, bubbling, and ultimately accumulating wear and tear in record time.

So while I can't be certain about an automatic, if no-one else comments then here's a quick and easy way to find out:
1) If you don't know what fluid is currently in there, there's no way to tell if or how it'll react. A used car dealership might have spiked it with sawdust for all you know ;).
2) If you know what's in it, call the support line to AMSoil and find their instructions/if it can safely mix, etc. [and make sure you write down the name of whoever you talked to!]

Edit: P.S.
(I almost didn't mention this because I'm not very familiar with AT's, but they were on the subject here: https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205540 ) Which says the same thing about ATF as I'd heard about GM's Manual TF, that it'll last a lifetime, so why would you ever want or need to swap it out? One person's quote stands out:
DO NOT USE synthetic ATF!!! Even Amsoil! I was an Amsoil dealer.
anyway it's probably worth a read if anyone else is considering doing the same thing...

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
There has been a lot of discusssions about flushing vs. drain and fill, synthetic vs. mineral ATF.

I am in the drain and fill three times camp.
And I am in the only use SAAB recommended fluid, never synthetic fluid camp. No matter how compatible a synthetic manufacturer says it is. From what I have read it does not have the proper friction properties that a mineral based fluid has.

That is my take on years of reading here in the forum. You can do searches for details. Three flush and fills with the proper fluid might cost $60-100 for a five speed and $150-180 for a 6 speed auto. Cheap compared to the cost of a new trans

Just my opinion

1 - 4 of 4 Posts