SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone hope you are all doing well. Im happy to see there is a strong community and enthusiast base for these cars. I also own a dsm and the forums and community for them have helped a lot so I'm glad to see that same thing exist here. Anyway I just bought a 2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t 5 speed (base not aero trim unfortunately) to replace my current daily a 2010 kia forte koup. Might seem like a weird jump but I wanted something more comfy and practical since I live in Rhode Island and the roads here are awful. I drive a lot too. I like how even though it doesn't look sporty or is particularly fast in this trim its still quirky and fun in its own way. Also wanted cheaper insurance and an old super safe Saab is pretty reasonable compared to my Kia thats a lot because it has 2 doors and Im young. Shes pretty clean with about 130k miles and was owned by a doctor that took it to saab dealers its whole life. In fact one of the dealers that looked after it, Dean Hill Saab in NH, still exist and they confirmed that car had been serviced there a lot. That was the biggest selling point to me, seems like it was maintained very well. The interior is literally mint with everything working and nothing faded. Engine bay is also pretty clean. Doesnt make a single weird noise or anything. She runs and drives super smooth and quiet. Im amazed since the car is so old with decent miles on her. Even the booklet that comes with the car is stamped every time it got serviced at the dealer. I bought off a guy that only owned it for 5,000 miles and sold it to me because he ended up finding his dream car. Hoping the dealer will give me more insight into the actual services that were preformed and when this Saturday but not holding my breath because they cant disclose certain info due to privacy concerns for the previous owner which I understand and will respect. Im a mechanic so Im not afraid of work I just want to get her all caught up on any maintenance before the harsh winter gets here and the miles start racking up. Currently I plan on replacing the thermostat/ coolant flush, oil change using 0w40 mobile 1 with a napa gold filter, fuel filter, air filter, service the brakes, power steering fluid, drop the oil pan and valve cover to check for sludge and clean if needed, check condition of the turbo, and some other little odds and ends. It does have an oil leak somewhere that I still need to trace but it seems slow and to only be when the motor is running since it doesn't drip down when parked. If any of you experienced Saab enthusiast are reading this and think Im leaving anything out then please chime in. Otherwise thanks for your time and I look forward to seeing you all on here!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
One thing the dealer should be able to tell you is if the PCV system was updated to version 6. This is pretty important for these engines, though if it was maintained with frequent proper synthetic oil changes, the update is a bit less important. You do want to get it done if it hasn't been. An independent Saab shop would be a better bet than the dealer, though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read about that on here and I'm hoping they'll let me know if that service was preformed. It looks like version 6 from what I've seen and I would hope that the car had the oil pan dropped and the screen cleaned when that was done. Pretty certain the oil changes were frequent and always with the mobile 1 fully synthetic 0w40 that is what the dealer told me at least so far. They are an independent Saab specialty shop and he seemed to know them pretty well so I think it was in good hands before me. Thanks for the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts