SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Yesterday I bought my first Saab, a Saab 9-5 2.0t from 2006 (facelift). When I bought it yesterday everything worked as it should. But today I took the car on a long journey, around 300km (185mi). When I got home from the journey, I waited for around 1 hour before I was gonna drive it again, but then it wouldn't start. The car would crank over, but it seemed like nothing happened. The temperature gauge was showing around 1/4 when the problem appeared. But then I tried bump starting it, and it roared to life like nothing ever happened.

This does not happen right when the engine is at its hottest (1/2 on the temp gauge), nor does it happen when it's cold. This only happens when it's "warm", and even then it starts sometimes. I should also add that the car runs like a dream when it's up and running, with no misfires or roughness.

The CEL is not lit up, and I've also scanned the car with my OBDII scanner with no codes showing up.

Some people have pointed out the CPS, but would this also prevent the car from being bump started? Fuel problems have also appeared, but then I feel like there would be a problem all of the time.

Any idea of what the problem could be?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Could be CPS - often faulty only at certain temps. When it's a crank but no start condition look at the tach needle: if it's dead still during cranking it's probably the CPS which won't set the CEL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be CPS - often faulty only at certain temps. When it's a crank but no start condition look at the tach needle: if it's dead still during cranking it's probably the CPS which won't set the CEL.
But will the CPS will only make the car not start when using the starter motor and allow the car to start when getting bump started? The rev meter does not move when cranking, but does when it's running. But for me the rev meter never moves when cranking, even if it starts up.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
No, a bad CPS is a bad CPS, whether key start or bump start. I think the bump start was a lucky coincidence when the temp was just right for it.

I chased a bad CPS in a Jag for months - it only acted up and stalled when engine was cold and as fast idle came down to about 1100 RPM during warmup. Did this until it began to stall at full warm and in traffic, then it quit altogether. Never showed a CEL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, a bad CPS is a bad CPS, whether key start or bump start. I think the bump start was a lucky coincidence when the temp was just right for it.

I chased a bad CPS in a Jag for months - it only acted up and stalled when engine was cold and as fast idle came down to about 1100 RPM during warmup. Did this until it began to stall at full warm and in traffic, then it quit altogether. Never showed a CEL.
But here's the deal; I've been able to bump start it 5 times when it would crank but not start, and all of these times the car would fire right up. If the CPS would cause the car not to start at all, maybe that's not the problem?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why did you have to bump start it in the first place? Did you / have you run down the battery a few times?
I just tried bump starting it because the starter wouldn't start the car, I cranked for around 10 seconds (5 seconds 2 times) with no signs of life. I thought like: well, if it won't start with the starter motor, maybe a bump start will? It worked, and it's worked all of the other times.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Make sure battery voltage is good. If it is, replace cps. It is a cheap part so worth the expense. It is a very common failure on Saab’s. Make sure it is Bosch

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just throwing this out there because I was reading through the 9-5 owners manual recently.
Saab states in the owners manual (pg. 142 in the 2008 manual under "starting and driving"
to allow cranking for up to 25 seconds for starting and a 20-30 second break between attempts.

Also, for whatever it's worth, when we change to "summer formula" gas here, my car takes a very long time to start when it has been sitting for a week or so between runs.
Now once she's out of the garage, running around, no issues.
But I would speculate there have been times that it took 15-25 seconds to get her to fire up.

On "winter fuel", she fires up almost immediately even after sitting a week or more in the garage.

I have the 2.3T petrol (gas) Saab Engine.
Always use top tier premium fuel (93 octane)
🤷‍♂️

I would also perhaps look at checking the DIC while your making a checklist.
and one other thing to add, after I replaced my vacuum lines, I noticed a significant improvement in starting.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Two rounds of five seconds of cranking is nothing for a good battery. There is no reason to bump start it that soon unless the battery is weak anyway. And if it's weak, replace it sooner rather than later.

Depending on how bumpy the bump was, it's also possible that the fuel pump is not running, and the bump was enough to get it going. Listen for the fuel pump next time it doesn't start. You can try whacking the tank if the pump isn't running. Again, you'd want to replace the pump sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi everyone! Yesterday I bought my first Saab, a Saab 9-5 2.0t from 2006 (facelift). When I bought it yesterday everything worked as it should. But today I took the car on a long journey, around 300km (185mi). When I got home from the journey, I waited for around 1 hour before I was gonna drive it again, but then it wouldn't start. The car would crank over, but it seemed like nothing happened. The temperature gauge was showing around 1/4 when the problem appeared. But then I tried bump starting it, and it roared to life like nothing ever happened.

This does not happen right when the engine is at its hottest (1/2 on the temp gauge), nor does it happen when it's cold. This only happens when it's "warm", and even then it starts sometimes. I should also add that the car runs like a dream when it's up and running, with no misfires or roughness.

The CEL is not lit up, and I've also scanned the car with my OBDII scanner with no codes showing up.

Some people have pointed out the CPS, but would this also prevent the car from being bump started? Fuel problems have also appeared, but then I feel like there would be a problem all of the time.

Your problem is the CPS ...easy to replace in front of engine..15 min. job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ordered a new CPS and I should get it tomorrow, I'll get back to you all when I've changed it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Changed CPS, problem solved. On the way, I also checked the PCV valve (which some people have mentioned could break) coming from the oil trap up to the throttle body, which broke in half as soon as I touched it... Changed that as well and the car is now running like a dream!

Thank you all for the support, help, and ideas!

·
Registered
7 Posts

Good Day, I recently had the same exact issue, a few very knowledgeable SAAB owners in this Group told me to change my CPS, I did, it's been 2 weeks and I haven't had a reoccurrence yet!! I've driven the car for long periods of time and the weather was unusually warm last week in New York City and I expected this problem to act up, but so far as I've said, so far so good. 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Princeton9

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2004 Saab 9-5 aero manual.
I've literally replaced every part to try and stop this extended cranking. Sometimes it cranks so long it kills my battery. It always eventually starts up but idk what to do anymore. No code or check engine light either.

PARTS REPLACED:
Fuel pump and filte,direct ignition coil,Spark plugs. Correct ngk, crankshaft position sensor. And turbo bypass valve along with a few vacuum lines.
please help

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've literally replaced every part to try and stop this extended cranking. Sometimes it cranks so long it kills my battery. It always eventually starts up but idk what to do anymore. No code or check engine light either.

PARTS REPLACED:
Fuel pump and filte,direct ignition coil,Spark plugs. Correct ngk, crankshaft position sensor. And turbo bypass valve along with a few vacuum lines.
please help
The three factors that you need to start engine are:
Spark
Check spark with DIC out, run a ground bare cable around all plugs and hook to ground.
Positive - OK ---negative or No spark - there is a problem here. must be resolved to start the engine.

Fuel
Check fuel pressure at Fuel Rail right on the Schrader valve.
presure is OK around 50psi
Presure lower than 35 must be addressed.

Air
Turbo hoses must be clean and no leaks. Throttle Body controls air flow...must be super clean with new gaskets.
Check MAF sensor also..when clogged is difficult to start, usually that happens when stupid Cold Air Intakes are installed.

If all this is OK then you may have a Bad ECM, Or your engine's piston compression is too low. Run a compression test and check if lower than 100psi..the engine is gone.

Check also Headlight Level Sensor Front Axle, when damaged and in-short condition the car wont start as the CAN-bus signal is lost due to the fact that HLL Module is parallel in-between the ECM and TCM Modules, and the short cancels CAN-Bus communication.

Hope it helps.
Regards.

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
I've literally replaced every part to try and stop this extended cranking.
Is the check engine light on?

Have you checked for any stored or pending error codes with an OBD reader?

A Tech2 session will probably pinpoint the problem very quickly.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts