SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Up until now, I've never had reason to post in this section! That all changed last week, when I took delivery of a 1973 95 v4 wagon. I've been after a good 96/95 for a while now, and ended up purchasing it from a local club member who is in the process of moving interstate.

The car is basically two owners, 118,000km, with the previous owner having it for the past 20 or so years. It's rust free and completely original apart from an old paint touch-up on one front quarter, and a pair of non-standard foglamps which I intend to remove.

The v4 was fully rebuilt a few years back, along with the gearbox. At this time, an electric fuel pump was added - which I'll probably also remove and replace with an original mechanical item (anyone have a new one spare?). On the road, it chugs along quite nicely! :D

I'll probably end up doing a bare metal repaint at some point in the future, after I've finished my current '71 99 project.

Anyway, here's a few pics that I took recently. I'll have to get some more detailed shots and add them to the web somewhere!

Drew

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's looking good. Nice 96 on the background too :cool:

I personaly wouldn't recommend changing for mechanical units. They starve the engine of fuel and aren't the most reliable component either. Remember there were electric fuel pumps even on two strokes (sports) and that's one of the first mods most of the people do (converting from mechanical to electric pump).
However if your objective is a complete originality and you are intending to take part in shows etc. then its a different matter.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I do not think the "dual exhausts" are original, but a nice upgrade.

These are one amazing "crossover "vehicle type if you wish. Go anywhere ability ( except stopping in 20" of snow).. Huge amount of room inside, decent ride and handling.
A very rugged engine - no blown gaskets nor timing chains...
The electric fuel pump is an improvement from this era.. But, then, so are many other things.
The old two stroke used an electric unit and these also failed and often..
Going back a bit, i remember owning a '65 yellow one, a '73 blue, and a '70 tan.
Rust is the primary problem...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Drew, nice..very nice. You must be a happy man. Where in Aus are you? I'll have to keep an eye out on the road for it. Not being in the Saab club yet, I'm not aware of how many 95/96s are on the road here. Do you have any idea?

Here's my beast.. http://www.digitalgreen.com.au/webpics

Should be on the road in one or two months.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Are you going to maintain the Sally Sunday moniker? ;)

Silversaab, as the beautiful sunny photos indicate, the 95, Drew and indeed my good self are located in Tassie.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hi Drew,

Not sure what Sally sunday means sorry.. or if it's to me, but anyhow, going from the picture I thought it could have just as easily have been Victoria! :)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Having taken a week or so off work, I've spent the past few days tending to the 95.

The paintwork was lightly oxidised, requiring a good machine polish. This is quite a time consuming process, considering that it has to be done in four steps:

1. Machine polish with heavy/medium compound
2. Machine polish with medium/fine polish
3. Machine glaze
4. Hand glaze

Not only that, it's quite expensive......... 3M products aren't cheap! :eek:

Having completed the roof, which is always the worst panel to do, I've today moved on to the RHS. Hopefully I'll have the whole car completed in a few days, including a few slight chips which I'll probably spray out :confused: In the meantime, here's a few pics:

http://saabpics.org:3000/gallery/Drew-Bedelphs-1973-95-V4

Silversaab> not sure on how many 96's are in Australia. There are 2 96's here in Tassie (a '65 2-stroke 850 and a '74 V4), as well as my 95. As far as I know, the only other 95 in Australia belong to David Bascomb at Wantirna Automotive in Victoria - it's an orange one, a '75 or '76 if I remember correctly. :cool:

Swade> You should know me well enough not to even ask! :nono; All non-standard bits, stickers included, quickly find their way into my wheelie bin :cheesy:

DB

·
Registered
444 Posts
Doh! Sorry Drew, I thought that post was from you..didn't look hard enough did I? Anyhow, the car looks a treat... I'd love to see some interior shots too.. Haven't seen too many in that colour and it looks great on a 95.

I came across David Bascombe a few weeks ago when I went looking for some bushes for my 96 (same as the 900 fortunately). He's a nice bloke, and runs a good looking business.

P.S. I'm going to put up an Aussie site for the 95s/96s etc in the next month or so.. the emphasis will be on info of a local nature (parts/meets/swaps/pics) rather than reinventing the wheel on more common issues such as maintenance etc. If you (or others you might know) would like to suggest what you'd like to see incorporated, I'm happy to take suggestions via email at [email protected]

P.P.S. The red 96 in the pic with your 95 - would that be the one that was for sale a while ago? |I recall a Tas 96 advertised somewhere...

·
Registered
815 Posts
silversaab96 said:
P.P.S. The red 96 in the pic with your 95 - would that be the one that was for sale a while ago? |I recall a Tas 96 advertised somewhere...
Me jumping in again.......

Yep, the 96 in the picture was/is the one for sale (not sure if it sold yet or not). For anyone interested, it is sensational!!! The owner had his own Saab workshop in Sydney and restored everything with factory original stuff.

Silver, regarding the registry, there's a guy that just started a 99 registry (see the 99 forum). Perhaps the two of you could combine resources? Just an idea. Reinventing the wheel and all that.

All non-standard bits, stickers included, quickly find their way into my wheelie bin :cheesy:
I remember when a certain SCCA committee member, who will remain nameless here, had a "recreational gynaecologist" sticker on his 900. Shameless (and no folks, it wasn't Drew). Mr Shameless, if you're reading this, please remove prior to Richmond meeting this weekend :lol:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Swade said:
Silver, regarding the registry, there's a guy that just started a 99 registry (see the 99 forum). Perhaps the two of you could combine resources? Just an idea. Reinventing the wheel and all that.
Good idea..will look into it over the weekend..:)

·
Registered
118 Posts
As I've been known to say many times, the 95 is a true Saab enthusiast's car - you have to be keen as mustard to drive something so damn ugly :lol: ;) - I love 'em!

Definitely keep the leccy fuel pump in your climate, it's probably been fitted to prevent fuel vapourisation which can be a big problem with V4s in hot weather.

Love the colour too, same as my second 96 and SO 1973 :cheesy: Enjoy it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts