SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone , never owned a 9000 before. Couple questions to start

Will the snow tires mounted on factory 15" alloys from my 89 900 fit the 9000 and work moderately well for winter travel and performance? The tires are 195/65/15s

I was thinking of stage 1 or stage 2 ECU tune from Brew City Boost right out of the gate. Any experience with these guys?

Thinking about deleting the balancing shaft too, seems like a good idea.

Any other tips or suggestions would be awesome. Stoked to try out the b234r

·
Registered
65 Posts
Same boat up here, first 9000 purchased about three months ago.
96 Aero. 220k miles

When I asked the guy I bought it from what his "next steps" were in his mind, he mentioned something about deleting the balance shaft....

So i looked into this for the first week of ownership and it really seems to be more of a OG900 thing....found much more info about it in those forums...

Have also thought about pretty quickly going to a stage 1 tune, and using BCB (as I know about hem from my 9-3 days....good reliable, good prices....)

But then I focused on a bunch of other stuff... and then some other things have popped up here and there. I've been kept on my toes, but nothing terrible nor anything that has kept me off the road, as its my daily driver, and so far so good. Engine just goes right along...

Did almost immediately get a frozen/sticky rear caliper...but was able to hobble to work for a week before time to swap on weekend.

And did replace oil pump o-ring and crankshaft seal as it was weeping.

I am now dealing with some ACC issues... and driving around with dash pad removed for last week, and a few scratches on my arm trying to access tight access servo screws.

But truth be told, Im glad i took some time with it before committing to any upgrades.

I've decided baby-ing the transmission is more worth it to me than upgraded power, as transmission replacements and or servicing seems to be a non option, or hard to find?

Next up is transmission mount, (again thinking about protecting the transmission) and even maybe a geniune saab short shifter....(these shift throws feel a little long, but i am getting used to it....in fact even the short shifter idea is fading from my mind...as i type.)

I dont know... maybe im being a little too cautious about the trans, but my advice is give it a month and see how its responding and what it may be able to handle...

let the car tell you?

my car says it wants its old radios re-installed... :)

good luck.

and good luck to me too now that i think about it.

though its been fun so far.

·
Super Moderator
2,870 Posts
Welcome! :cheesy:
I've got a 95 9000 Aero, I've had it for 6 years and it's been rock solid. Balance shafts you shouldn't even think about being touched unless you're doing something extensive like removing the timing cover. I've never seen one fail in a B234 motor. The trans are also incredibly robust for their size and hold 400+ HP pretty reliably, even at high mileage. I do my own tunes so I can't speak to BCB's reputation but I haven't heard anything bad. If you enjoy electronic's and tinkering check out https://www.trionictuning.com/ and learn the tuning software.
Long story short, go wild man! The 9K platform is rock sold in the power train category.
Tom

·
Registered
65 Posts
Tom: this has me rev'ed up!

Im going to ask right now for the short shifter for my birthday! and maybe a tune for xmas!

(if it was a friday, not wednesday, and I was not struggling with a 9-5 ACC issue) I may just, indeed, "go wild" and ordered it all up NOW.;ol;

thanks for the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts