SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a '94 V6 900 What can you tell me please!

Any specs that I could perhaps look up?

What should be aware of when having a tune up done?

·
Registered
713 Posts
how many miles? when was the last time the timing belt was replaced, if its been a while better do it now. plugs and wires? all things to take a gander at, there are only a select few of us on here with v6's, the people whom ur gunna wanna pay attention to are Raggy (ragtopcav), and tboy, both EXTREAMLY knowledgable!... ohh btw welcome to saab central!
Tyler

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Ninja1195 said:
Just bought a '94 V6 900 What can you tell me please!

Any specs that I could perhaps look up? Haynes has a new manual out which covers the V6; the WIS is much better; best is the tutorials the members of this site have written..

What should be aware of when having a tune up done? The spark plugs must be correct, only the most durable platinum will do, even an indie may charge two hours labor, but this is not that bad if the plugs last 80 to 100K miles..[/QUOTE]

The single most important thing is the timing belt service.. This includes the tensioner assembly and carefully installed seals.
I hope you are a good DIY...
Have the car's history and the owners manual.
Good luck..:cheesy:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Timing belt. Super important. Even though mine was changed fairly recently (May '06 according to the last owner and provided service records), mine slipped and caused some engine damage. The tensioners are a particular weak spot.

Valve cover gaskets can leak a bit if the covers become deformed, so watch for that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Cam belt maintenance is the single biggest issue with the V6, have a look at the seals around the edge of the plastic cover, they can get pulled into the belt and cause failure. The belt itself is very tough but sadly as Earthworm and Cachaa point out, the tensioner is prone to fail if not replaced at a regular interval.
The plastic cam covers are a waste of time and leak like a sieve, if you get the chance replace them with the metal ones, there much better and put an end to oil leaks from the seals.

When you've got a spare couple of hours pull the cables off the plugs and make sure there's no oil sitting in the wells around the plugs, this will slowly degrade the rubber and cause a misfire or rough idle.

Give it a small service, drop the oil and change the filter, mine seems to run very well on Castrol GTX 5W-30, but i'm sure everybody has their own favourite, change the plugs (there pre-gapped but always check them, i've never found a set that are right). Put a new air filter in and i'm sure you'll be surprised at the difference.
If your going to keep it long term you might want to think about upgrading the brakes to the later hub carriers and calipers so you can fit the bigger rotors.
Keep an eye out for post from Raggy, tboy,and if you develop any fault codes or electrical problems look out for Diosnoche.

Any chance of some pictures, there's not many of us V6er's on here and its always nice to have a look at someone else's car...

·
Registered
138 Posts
I should have mentioned the oil cooler as well, its buried deep down in the V of the engine, if it fails look out for oily sludge in the header tank.

You can do it yourself if you've got long arms and plenty of plasters for your knuckles...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts