SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if this isn't the right place for this I apologize.

Anyway, I just picked up a 2003 9-3t that has 160k on it for 300 bucks. Automatic unfortunately. Needs alternator and rear brakes.

Either going to sell it after I fix it, or slightly mod it and drive it around for a summer or two.

What I'm looking for here is some guidance on which one of those options is best lol.

I like the idea of more or less getting it to the point where the stock turbo is maxed out, toss on some wheels/tires.. Possibly lowering springs, and calling it good.

But I also like the idea of making a couple thousand dollar profit and speeding along the progress on another project.

Help? Lol thanks.

·
Registered
939 Posts
See how it goes. Read up on the trouble spots. I bought an 05 a little less than a year ago, and it was one thing after another.

·
Registered
79 Posts
But I also like the idea of making a couple thousand dollar profit
:unsure:

Might be hard to pull off on a car that's worth less than $2000, but I'm not a dealer. Maybe you could convince one of your family members and rip them off. I heard that's how all great salespeople start out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:unsure:

Might be hard to pull off on a car that's worth less than $2000, but I'm not a dealer. Maybe you could convince one of your family members and rip them off. I heard that's how all great salespeople start out.
Just going by what I've seen listed on the local internets, saw a couple yesterday asking for 4500. Of course asking price and what someone will actually pay can be world's apart, but well see what happens. Up here in the salt belt a car completely lacking rust like this one is commands a premium.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
But it’s a 17 yr old, defunct brand that requires Tech 2 for some even basic diagnostics and repairs. Seriously limited market and is why you only paid $300.

(And I’m a favorably-biased 22 year Saab owner who now owns three...)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But it’s a 17 yr old, defunct brand that requires Tech 2 for some even basic diagnostics and repairs. Seriously limited market and is why you only paid $300.

(And I’m a favorably-biased 22 year Saab owner who now owns three...)

Tech-2, I've about Saab's needing it specifically but also read that any canbus compatible scanner would work.

I have a canbus compatible scanner already, but after reading about tech2 I've pretty much added it to the list of crap I need to buy for the toolbox.

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
Tech-2, I've about Saab's needing it specifically but also read that any canbus compatible scanner would work.
For checking engine codes, any ODB II scanner will work. (Well, actually I should try to use my old Innova scanner on my 2004 9-3.) For other modules, I would not think a generic scanner will do you much good.

The Tech II also lets you reprogram your modules, which is required when a module is installed. It also lets you read values of each module, and activate things. You can probably get by without a Tech II with older Saabs, but for the newer 9-3s, you're really going to be crippled if you ever need to do serious work on the car.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Just going by what I've seen listed on the local internets, saw a couple yesterday asking for 4500. Of course asking price and what someone will actually pay can be world's apart, but well see what happens. Up here in the salt belt a car completely lacking rust like this one is commands a premium.
$4,500.00 could be rumors on the uhhh.. internets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts