SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2004 Saab 9-3 Linear. It has 194,000 miles. I did not get it inspected before I bought it. I have come to find out it needs new wheel bearings in front (actually they told me it needed one, but the other is loose), new shocks in back (should be replaced), brake pads and rotors all around, and new tires. I also need a new key, I only have one and the buttons are missing. The Radio doesn't work and now the interior lights on the climate controls aren't lit. There are a couple of light issues that come up on the display, not sure if it's a bulb thing or an electrical thing. The outside looks great, the inside too. Oh, and it might have a small oil leak around the turbo.

I paid $2,500 and am looking at probably spending another $2500. I'm no mechanic and really not ready to learn. Am I crazy for keeping this car? Do I find a local mechanic to come out (on the side) and make the repairs? Take it to the dealer or an audio shop for the radio? I'd love to have Sirius radio but it just has the standard radio in it now (and again, not sure it works).

thanks

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
You are in a very tough spot and even that simple "key" will set you back what, $150 then if it doesn't work, a tow and get it programed?

We had "that" car down here but with 98k miles and needed just new tires for $3,000 just a few months ago at the local bargain (but decent), car lot.

At least from what you say it doesn't look like a dog. How is the engine and transmission?

PS: The radio and "serious" are the least of your worries and should be the last thing on your mind. In perspective, when looking at a new Mercedes, the salesman kept turning the radio up (to hide a rattle in an ML 320 .. they all had it), and I kept turning it off; had to get nasty and told him I was buying a car not a rolling boom box. The radio won't get you home, out of a bad neighborhood, on a rainy bad night; the mechanicals sure will.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

The engine and transmission seem good. The tech said "oil leaks on rear top of motor (possible turbo line)", he said it was a small leak.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The car sounds like a basket case. I personally would not have bought it just based on the mileage alone, but with all the other issues you have outlined, this is almost a scrapper. There are likely to be all the other issues associated with a car of this age such as the cat and exhaust, emissions, oil leaks, slipping transmission, lots of CEL's and codes, worn seats etc. etc. The issues you've outlined are easily going to be the cost of the car if you can't DIY.

If you can, I'd take it back (if purchased from a dealer) and ask for a refund. If not sell it ASAP and accept you'll likely get a lot less than you paid for it. Even parting it out might be difficult given the mileage.

Every car, no matter how cheap, needs a professional inspection. Unfortunately you've just had a costly lesson.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
The car sounds like a basket case. I personally would not have bought it just based on the mileage alone, but with all the other issues you have outlined, this is almost a scrapper. There are likely to be all the other issues associated with a car of this age such as the cat and exhaust, emissions, oil leaks, slipping transmission, lots of CEL's and codes, worn seats etc. etc. The issues you've outlined are easily going to be the cost of the car if you can't DIY.

If you can, I'd take it back (if purchased from a dealer) and ask for a refund. If not sell it ASAP and accept you'll likely get a lot less than you paid for it. Even parting it out might be difficult given the mileage.

Every car, no matter how cheap, needs a professional inspection. Unfortunately you've just had a costly lesson.
This. it is what it is.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I bought my 2005 Aero from Scotland, sight unseen, and drove it back to Germany, and I love it very much. No lessons of any kind of were learned. ;ol;

If it makes you feel better, I had to do many of the same things for mine. New rear shocks, tires (actually old ones were OK--but in Germany you cannot use Summer tires in winter or you will be in big trouble if you have an accident), new brakes, other little things.

All used cars have problems. This car you have hardly sounds like a "basket case," it's got some maintenance neglect, but nothing that can't be fixed up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sir on the lights just hit the top button on display and error message will leave. Then light switch all the way left and click on the brights and your lights will work. Then go to pick and pill yard and get your hands dirty. Doesn't take much and there are you tube videos for all of the repairs.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't know. He said the body was in great shape.
If he figured out the climate control lights turn off if you turn the lights switch to off and saw a video on how to bypass AMP1 on YouTube...
But, yea, Saabs aren't for noobs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts