SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone painted the inside of their silver wheels black to help hide brake dust. I'm thinking of doing this but not sure what type of paint to use.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Different brake pad types make different amounts of dust, too. Semi-metallics are known to make lots of dust. Which isn't necessarily bad, it's just one of the trade-offs. Better hybrid-material types and ceramics make much less dust.

If you want to paint the inside of the wheels black, I'd suggest a plasti-dip or other peel-able coating so you can make your wheels back to original easily.

The downsides are, even if the wheels are clean, they'll look more dirty with the black parts. And, unfortunately, brake dust is more of an ugly dark grey/brown so even your nice black coating will get covered by ugly brake dust and will still look the same after a while.

To me, that comes down to either keeping everything clean, using good wheel cleaners and protective ceramic coatings that make them easier to clean/dirt harder to stick, or just dealing with the dust.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’d go with a black, but i would use a flat clear that way it doesn’t stand out as much but its still easier to clean. Prep work is key to a good job. Clean clean clean, then a thorough wipe down with a prep solvant.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
I used an etch primer and a rusteoleum paint...the krylon/rustoeum/tremclad paints have lots of pigment stand up well.. I use a light color, silver or beige. Black? forget it. looks like *** and you need to know the wheel is dirty. use sonax wheel cleaner, wont hurt the paint or the wheel.

use ceramic pads (ac delco prefix 17 D are ceramic.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts