SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 9-3, and like so many of them, I damaged my front bumper cover. Started with the lip, and just spread from there. So I was at a junkyard for a project vehicle and came across a 2005ish one, and the bumper cover had a scuff on it, but for $50 I thought it was a deal.

It's silver. My car is one of the blues.

Honestly, I'd even be fine with the scuff, but I need the color changed. Can someone point me in the right direction, or give me a quick and dirty?

I've done parts replacement, aluminum wheel polishing on an old vette to go from old and dull to shiny and bright, headlight restoration, so I know the elbow grease I'm signing up for.

Can someone recommend a good DIY website or something?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
YouTube has a lot of videos on using spray cans or cheap Harbor Freight spray guns to paint a car. There are automotive paint online suppliers that match your color code. The bumper itself is removed easily I have read.

Good prep is a key. Also saw you should use 2K clear coat, the one with a two part system (catalyst)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read 400 grit sandpaper...

So if I paint it color matched, but my 9-3 is a 2006, how noticeable will the color non-match be?

How do I fix that?

For the record, mine is a 2006 fusion blue metallic aero sedan.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I've read 400 grit sandpaper...

So if I paint it color matched, but my 9-3 is a 2006, how noticeable will the color non-match be?

How do I fix that?

For the record, mine is a 2006 fusion blue metallic aero sedan.

I just had a new Fusion Blue bumper painted on my 2008 Aero and see no color match problems. I do need to polish and wax the hood but no color difference I can notice.

Is your 2006 faded badly? Cleaned and waxed regularly?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not faded at all. I've been a little neglectful over the past few months, but there's nothing a good detailing wouldn't bring back. For it's age, it looks pretty good still.

I'm trying to do the paint myself, and was questioning the easiest way to get the right color, and the quantity. I'm buying a compressor for a totally different project, but that will be a ways off still.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
It's not faded at all. I've been a little neglectful over the past few months, but there's nothing a good detailing wouldn't bring back. For it's age, it looks pretty good still.

I'm trying to do the paint myself, and was questioning the easiest way to get the right color, and the quantity. I'm buying a compressor for a totally different project, but that will be a ways off still.

You order by the paint code on your door sticker. There are online retailers and even local retailers who supply by code and in cans or larger sizes for spray guns. They help you with the amount needed.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that page.

I can't tell from there or elsewhere what is the right kind of primer to use.

I bought rustoleum filler and sandable 2-in-1, especially because of the scuff on the bumper. Is this the right kind?

Sorry for the stupid questions...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man! I'm trying to take off the lower grille. It's on their something fierce! no real question, just venting. I'm sure it's just a matter of getting the tabs off past the supports on the bumper cover. I bought a brand new one a long time ago, so i don't need it, and it's such a pain, I feel like I should just get out my dremel, and ruin the one I have on there just to cut it free.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I finished it! I'm really proud of myself. I kept the base-model front lip off the junkyard bumper instead of ordering a new aero-model lip spoiler because it sits a little higher, and that will keep this from happening again.

I got it painted last week, and over the weekend I finally got all the trim transferred over. I'm happy with it, but you can definitely tell it was my first time. There are mistakes in the basecoat, and the clear coat didn't always go on smoothly. My application speed was a little uneven.

Overall, I think it's a great improvement, practice for a project car I'm working on, and really satisfactory for a 14 y.o. daily driver.

All in, (tools not included), I spent about $145 on parts, supplies and paint.

[/QUOTE]

after basecoat

after clear coat

So on the car, I went from:

to:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts