SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fuel gauge that jumps up and down a bit at start up and sometimes upon acceleration. I thought it was because I had a leaky fuel hose (the one from the PR to the bar), but fixed that (used a piece of hose instead of the actual part since it was $50. but will probably do that properly next spring). Generally the car runs great. I'm in the northeast and it's a leaky vert kept outside, so I am not going to fix it now, but want to prepare for spring projects and make sure it's not going to die on me if I have a nice winter day and want to run it up to the store just to run it (I admit it, it will be a liquor store). Fuel Pump? Sending Unit? Vacuum Lines? or Just a bad connection? Thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sounds like a fuel sender on its last legs. Those wires inside the unit are pretty tiny. I picked one up on eBay a few years ago that's still working. Before that I just reset the trip meter every time I got gas and made sure I filled up when it got over 350 miles. Almost ran out of gas a few times!

In case you don't know, the fuel pump and sender are in the trunk of the car beneath that flat shelf, just behind the back seat. The fuel pump is the big circle on the left, the sender is the smaller one on the right.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have to take that apart next spring and take a look. Hope it's not the sending unit, it seems to be a pricey item. Anyone try to rebuild them?

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Same issue here sometime ago.
The unit in the petrol tank had fallen apart.
There is an outside tube that stops the surge, that had fallen off mine and fallen to bits.
A wire had come off as well.

So for now, I just put up with it, and set the trip meter every time I fill up.
Refill again around 400km, to stay safe!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts