SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been having trouble with my 1995 900se turbo gearbox, after taking the advise of people off this site i have managed to get the car to work in all gears apart from 4th.

Each time fourth is selected it jumps out under accelleration with a grinding noise, it appears to go into gear ok but just jumps out.

If i hold it in 4th it stays but you can feel it want to jump out of gear and sometimes does even when holding it.

What would make it do this? is there some pin gone? does anyone know of an exploded view of the box for me to look at?

Again Many thanks for all help Mark

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I would go thru the process of the gear shift mechanism update and or do the adjustments.

If the 4th gear is not fully engaged, it will "pop out" of gear..But, when a shift plate is mis-aligned, the opposite gear is also thrown off - this can be felt in the shifter free play..

But, I feel that the transmission synchronizers and rings are worn out. The old ones (Saab 96V4) would be shot at 50 to 75K and some would need everything..The factory rebuilt cost $225 at the time with a warranty..
Is this a high mileage gearbox; has the proper synthetic MTF been used ??
Many threads on this and a good Sticky FAQ covering the R and R..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Earthworm

The car and box has done 115K miles and has a full Main Dealer History.

I have the option of picking up another gearbox for £200 and its only done 37K.

I need to do the clutch, and i have been through the adjustments many times.

The way that 4th currently feels is very bad it jumps out with a horrible crunch, also when in 3rd there is an awful whining noise and a lot of movement on the stick as you accelarate and then let off the throttle.

whats your thoughts on changing the box?

Thanks Mark

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
It sounds like the box is toast. If you're getting the clutch out and you can get a good cheap box; go for it.

Jumping out could conceivably be the linkage and perhaps a dodgy mount - likewise the moving stick. They do move on the the standard mount. Whining in third though ....My money is on knackered gearbox. To confirm: remove drain plug, if there is a blob of metal paste there then that's a good (meaning BAD) indicator. Lumps and shrapnel says it all.

This from someone on their second box rebuild this month :(

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Go for the used box and at least a new clutch disk and trans mounts.

Also the two seals.
Used to be that everything that became accessible was renewed. Four hours to R and R the transmission and 0.2 to change the clutch.
Same with the seals...

Saab may have rebuilt transmissions for a grand..and these should have a good warranty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the response,

Earthworm which seals are you talking about?

I have ordered a replacement box at £225 plus vat (only done 37K) and a new clutch and release bearing, and also a new gearchange linkage which i am told is the complete setup.

Also i checked the mounts and they seem fine.

Thanks Mark

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The clutch shaft seal and the engine flywheel seal.

Also assure that the flywheel bolts are tight, here I use lock-tite, maybe I should not, but I do anyway..

Crank end play ??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Earthworm,

Thanks,

are these seals likely to be supplied with a new clutch kit or are they seperate?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
mpgscott said:
Hi Earthworm,

Thanks,

are these seals likely to be supplied with a new clutch kit or are they separate?
These two seals are separate, I am positive. And do not forget the throw-out bearing..
We usually replaced these seals on the now old 96/95 series, even when they "looked" good..
With the Volkswagen, even the starter shaft bushing was changed, but Saab did not have this design...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts