SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. 2002 Saab 9-3. The car would not start this morning - only would click. When I used jumper cables it started up, but then it would need cables again. Then when I decided to drive home, the fault bell kept going off and the miscellaneous dash lights kept going off and the the car seemed to lose power for a fraction of a second. It kept running though.

We are thinking it is a dead battery. We don't think it's the alternator because the first sign of trouble was this morning when the car would not start. I don't know how the battery would have died though - maybe because it is over three years old it just decided to die at this random point in time.

I thought maybe this issue could be related to other issues in the car. Recently we replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor because I was getting fault codes and the car was getting less than 20 MPG. We also had the AC refilled. After those repairs the car has run better the past few days.

It still seems to shake it times (the pedal and the steering wheel) as if it is sputtering a bit and I looked at what might be a leak on the steering fluid pipe. I thought this might be because the rear exhaust pipe needs replaced.

Also, a month or two ago we had the PVC upgrade done which apparently should have been done a long time ago before the car's first engine had to be replaced.

Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Much arppeciation,

Dave

·
Registered
18,942 Posts
Probably the battery for the starting issue. Could also be loose or corroded cables.

Check the voltage when off. Should be at least 12v, probably a little more. Start the car. Voltage at the battery should be over 14 volts.

If it's below 12 in the first test, you have a bad or discharged battery. If it's 5 or so years old, replace it. If not, consider charging it.

If it's below 14 when running, you may have a charging system issue. You also then have a dead battery... see above.

Saabs tend to run poorly when the battery is discharged. However, you may also have some connection issues that are causing it to loose power when running. Ignition switches and relays have been known to go back in these cars. Do some testing per above and see what you find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably the battery for the starting issue. Could also be loose or corroded cables.

Check the voltage when off. Should be at least 12v, probably a little more. Start the car. Voltage at the battery should be over 14 volts.

If it's below 12 in the first test, you have a bad or discharged battery. If it's 5 or so years old, replace it. If not, consider charging it.

If it's below 14 when running, you may have a charging system issue. You also then have a dead battery... see above.

Saabs tend to run poorly when the battery is discharged. However, you may also have some connection issues that are causing it to loose power when running. Ignition switches and relays have been known to go back in these cars. Do some testing per above and see what you find.
Thanks so much for your reply. We had the battery replaced, but, shortly after, it started to class again. So we took it to Pep Boys. As suspected, it was the alternator.

I am thinking maybe the recent replacement of various parts gave the car a rejuvenation the old alternator could not handle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts