SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you might know, I have been on a long and fruitless journey to find a new daily driver this spring. I have looked at countless cars, some which weren't Saabs, but couldn't find the right one.

I first saw this car about a month ago, but it took untill last night to finally close the deal and take possession. There were many obstacles, not the least of which was this week when all of a sudden the the ownership couldn't be found!

Its a great car, in need of some cosmetics and tuning but overall I'm very happy. There are only a few small bubbles in the paint, which is also getting a little thin. Being an ex-california 1982 T8, it has the somewhat goofy headlights, but I'm not sure I'm even going to change them as they don't really look that bad to me.

Rear

And what does Jetgirl think of learning to drive standard in a T8 900?

That's right, it rocks!

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Very cool Jeff!:cool:

We need to see what JetBoy thinks too!;)

btw, how many miles / km's on the car?
It looks like it is in great shape for something 23 years old!:eek:

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
lights!

I quite like those lights, they would work quite well with my FMIC as i've got the pipework running either side of the top of the radiator.

Happy driving!

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SaabScott said:
Very cool Jeff!:cool:

We need to see what JetBoy thinks too!;)

btw, how many miles / km's on the car?
It looks like it is in great shape for something 23 years old!:eek:
He likes the turbos ("do it again daddy!") The interior is pretty much spotless, so its time for some tartan on the rear seat! Car has 189 Miles (302KM or something) Should be good for a few hundred thousand more. Brand new rad (>1 year) means no more overheating in traffic. That alone should give it a ton of life.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Nice, nice very nice :cheesy: :cheesy:

the T8 looks good as well ;) ;) ;) stainless steel exhaust, what does it look like under the bonnet/hood, interior etc etc

Paul

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Engine is good not perfect. I'm withholding pictures of that until I get a chance to get in there. Interior, save for cracked dash is basicly immaculate. Going to have to install console from the 85 and fix a dropped seat bottom tonight, but that's it. No stains or grime on seats, carpet or headliner.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
How did a California 900 get up to Canada? hum...........

be honest you blagged it right:cheesy:

The head lights are not goffy, there distinctive, it is in good condition for such an old car that should be sun beaten much more than what i can see, good catch.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Yes, it is a nice car! My first Saab was an '86 that looked a lot like that one. At the time, I didn't know that the lights were different from 'standard'. Leave 'em. Put the money into stuff that matters, like new shocks or a new battery, insurance for the younger ones, etc.

I like the 'man hole cover' wheels -- I think they really fit the Saab. I always liked that color, too. Very good score.

If the paint is a little thin, but you need to remove some surface oxidation or haze, try Mother's Pre-Wax Cleaner. It doesn't use an abrasive, so it removes only a little with each application.

Congrats.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Si said:
I quite like those lights, they would work quite well with my FMIC as i've got the pipework running either side of the top of the radiator.

Happy driving!
Man, those lights are dime-a-dozen at many junkyards around here. You could be the proud owner of a set with a little effort and transatlantic shipping.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am thinking I'll eventually put my Ronals on this car and a set of SPG springs I have. I have a few sets of the regualr Euro headlights, but they always get smashed in the winter by flying stuff. I think these might hold up better given the recess.

Dying here at work knowing this baby is waiting at home for me! Start two weeks holidays at 5:00 as well!

Btw, wont be around much until 2nd week of August. You boys behave!

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
oh jetman! nice car! i love the manhole cover wheels tho! post some interior pics too! does it have some power options? like thoes dash mounted power window switches (i think they are cool)! does it have a/c? cruise? 82' was the year when luxury came in ex. leather ect. eitherway, NICE ONE! no more winter beater, i remember you saying before that saabs were just transport for you, this one should fix that;) congrats!

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
I think the tyre side well is maybe 50 not 60 as it should be, its not a problem but it throws off the speeds accuracy i think?

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
195/65/R15. I have some SPG springs that will go in. But probably not while this is a daily driver. In the winter I need as much clearance as I can get. Its not uncommon for me to have to punch through 2-3 foot drifts in the driveway at the farm. Sticking it in the middle of the 1/4 mile drive would mean it would probably get tagged by my step dad with the tractor/snowblower in the dark at 5 in the morning.
I've just been out trying to trace down the source of the periodic power loss under boost. If I push it too hard and pressure builds too fast, it feels like the blow off or fuel cut kicks in and it drops 2000 RPM. Car has no APC.
I was just familiarizing myself with the components. I'll run it a bit and get a feel for it. As well, car has been sitting and gas is likely poor. There is also reason to believe that the CO content was bodged with.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts