SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I am looking at a 1988 Saab 900 Turbo and seek some guidance/assistance.

My history with Saab commenced in the eighties with a beautiful Black/Tan 1985 Saab 900 SPG from new (that I ordered through the Saab Export office on London's Picaddily road, which sadly does not exist any longer. Car was delivered to Houston where I picked it up), while I was attending college (Texas) in the US, decades ago. Stupidly, I traded it in when I moved to Washington DC to do graduate work. Always regretted that. My first "D'oh" moment for sure.

My original Saab 900 Turbo SPG overlooking the beautiful hills around Austin Texas (the parking lot of Barton Mall, if memory serves)​

Since moving back to Abu Dhabi I never forgot my brilliant Saab 900 Turbo SPG and got real excited to come across a carcass of one here in the industrial zone. It had the wheels and molding, which I recycled onto a 1991 black 900 convertible (sadly, an auto). Somehow I could not convince my wife to keep it, so off it went. My second "D'oh" moment.

The "Carcass"

The ugly duckling becomes a beautiful swan

2 photos of the '91 against the skyline of Abu Dhabi
Yes, I know that the wheels on the 'vert aren't from the carcass (did not fit the '91, so I had to get Aero's that would). Personally, I prefer the earlier wheels.

So, I now come across a nice 1988 white 900 turbo that appears to have the SPG/AERO wheels and side moldings. Car is advertised with ultra-low mileage (40kkm) and is a Japan Specification Import.

Seller also said it was automatic. Hmmmm. I didn't know there was a white SPG (other than the pearl white specials). I certainly didn't think there were any SPG/AERO's with Automatics.

My question is whether there were any special spec cars that were exported to Japan that had the Aero kit/wheels, in Automatic.

I appreciate any guidance/assistance...

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Don't think so

I've seen aeros with white paint - some here in Australia, I'm not sure about the automatic thing.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Aero in Australia ... any color , any gearbox . ( I suspect true of the UK as well )

SPG specs in the states NO IDEA, over to the gurus in that part of the world...

Japanese specs ,also no idea ... however isn't that car Left hand drive ? Japanese exports I have seen in Australia are RHD . So i have assumed they drive on the Left hand side of the road ( to say the right side of the road would just be confusing ;ol; )

If the car was built for the US and Imported your question is relevant to SPG specs only, if there is in fact a variance to Aero Specs , this is implied if you can only get limited colors and manual transmission SPG's , because that is certainly not the case with Aero's .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanx for the feedback folks.

I know that Japan is a RHD country as is Australia (right?). But I think its possible that one can register a LHD vehicle in Japan. I seem to remember reading somewhere that in Japan its considered far more prestigious to have a LHD car (so long as the car originates from a LHD country).

Many used LHD cars from Japan are finding their way over to the Middle East of late, as Japan has a rather strict auto maintenance code/regulations, which as result suggests that these (used cars) have been very well maintained.

As to our white car, I am unsure if Saab exported RHD or LHD cars to Japan, but it may be possible it is a private European (or other LHD market) that may have found its way over to Japan.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
yes RHD in OZ .

Compliance plates will tell you original market , if its european , then I suspect like Australian and the UK ... it will be any color and any box but still considered an *aero* .

I honestly don't know re SPG and US Specs , but I have believed there were limited colors, manual box and de badging on SPG spec ... I will let the guys from the US chip in with the facts .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
US Spec

I remember when I ordered the car in London to a US Spec and I think there was only 2 color options:

Silver/Burgundy or Black?
and
Black/Tan (similar to my car)

and I could have it in any transmission so long as it was a 5 Speed Manual.

I don't recall specific SPG or AERO badges. The rear boot/hatch lid had the Saab name badge with the circular logo on the left (driver side for LHD) and the Turbo 900 badges on the right (passenger side for LHD)

I do remember there was an option for 3 additional dials that would be installed (by the local dealer) on the centre console.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I had verts and three door turbos in the 80s in the UK. We didn't have SPGs just turbos, which amounts to the same thing. However, I did have white ones at one time. These were manuals. Auto? Ughh! :nono;

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Paul ,
Does it really amount to *exactly * the same thing ?

Mechanically yes ?

Suspension ? Tupperware ? Spoiler types ?

I know there all superficial , but there are variances in OZ between Aero and Turbo .

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
That white turbo is beautiful.

·
Registered
299 Posts
All I have to say is that white turbo is beautiful!

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Grab the VIN and use the vin decoder. You are correct in the repair and maintenance laws in Japan. Here in the US we receive Japanese spec engines due to several mandatory replacement laws they seem to have.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Oof, that is a beaut! Auto or not, I'd drive it.

;ol;

1 - 15 of 15 Posts