SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'll be painting my brake calipers and wish to get my 9-5 up on jack stands.

What are the best places for jack stands? Will they be supported well on the jack points before the rear wheel and behind the front wheel, or should they go on the axle - and if on the axle, where on the axle?

Anybody have pics or diagrams? I tried search and got some info, but not overly helpful for someone who has not done this before.

Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you are only going to paint, just jack one wheel at a time, paint and replace wheel. On the front if you want to put both wheels up there is a jack point across the front frame, just in front of the radiator assembly. If you look under, it is the furthist frame member just behind the bumper. In the middle of the frame you "may" can't be sure on an 03 see a raised circular section where you would jack. If you don't see the circle you can still jack there. I would simply put the jack under the lower control arm for each front wheel as close to the wheel as possible. This is assuming you are using a floor jack. For the rears do the same. Put the jack under the rear control arm close to the wheel/shock attachment. This will not hurt anything and save some hassle trying to get all four wheels up at one time. The jack point for the rear if you want to use it is just behind the rocker panel in front of the wheel. It will apppear as a strengthened piece of metal welded to the side of the chassis. It's early so I hope I'm making sense. If you are really concerned, your owners manul might show the true jack points but what I'm suggesting will work just fine. Dan

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've seen warnings in the past but can't remember where, That:-
You MUST NOT use the rear axel for jacking up the car or for holding it up on stands.
Pete

·
Registered
92 Posts
Pete, you won't damage anything. I"ve done this many times. What I do is place the jack as close as I can toward the shock mount. For removing and painting a caliber this won't hurt. I agree you should not place a jack stand here but a floor jack is fine, just don't be crawling around under the car. My jack has a rubber pad on the jack plate. If your's is not so equipped, put a shop rag on the jack plate. You only need to go high enough to remove a wheel. You'll be okay. Dan

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just to raise your confidence. Last week I put new roors and pads on the rear of my 2003-95-Aero. Nothing bent, nothing broke and the car still goes down the road in a straight line. You'll be fine. Just don't be laying under the wheel if you are only on the jack. If you are really paranoid about the car coming down, slide the wheel you take off under the car as a precaution. Dan

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
dann1940 said:
That was rotors not roors!
You can edit your own posts ................. :confused:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was just told by my dealership that I could put jacks stands under the jack points behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels.

This concerns me if I have the full weight of the car on all four jack stands. The reason I would do this is the paint kit I have (G2) allows two hours max until the two part mixed paint (lacquer) you are using hardens. Having the whole car on jack stands would just make things easier, and for some reason the directions say not to put the wheels back on until two hours after painting (and this will be hand painting with the calipers attached which will take some time - especially for three coats - having to wait 15 minutes between coats per the directions. The directions also call for two coats, but I prefer to do three and this can be accomplished in time if I can work around the car on all four calipers with all wheels off at the same time).

I can accomplish this by using a hydraulic jack on the front jacking point of the car under the engine to lift the whole front end to put two jack stands behind the front wheels at those jack points and then reverse the procedure to get the back end up on jack stands. I see this as providing a good balance/wide center of gravity, but I have concerns about these jack points holding well and not crimping under jacks stands, as opposed to the wide base that a hydraulic lift in a service station offers.

I guess one option is to just mix half the paint and mixer to do the two front calipers with the car held up by the hydraulic jack and with jack stands in place behind the front wheels at those jack points for security in case the hydraulic jack fails and then when complete mix the other half of the paint and do the reverse for the rear calipers.

By the way, I have a black 9-5 and am going with silver paint. For me personally, red or yellow would be a little too much bling, black would be too plain and blue does not do it for me with a black car. I walked over to the Ferrari dealer near me and they have black Ferrari's with red, black and silver calipers. They all looked good on a Ferrari, but I thought for a large sedan like a 9-5, that while a sports sedan, a more conservative silver would look best for me (the calipers have a dull rusted look now).

Here is an example of what silver looks like on a silver 9-3.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77111&highlight=painting+brake+calipers

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
And here on a 9-5 ;)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
And more:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Pete, you seem to have a plan so go for it. Let me through this out! on my 99-95 I have a trailer hitch. It's used only for a bike rack. Secondary benefit of the hitch is that when needing to jack the rear of the car i do so at the hitch and the whole thing goes right up. My 99 is so much easier to jack than the 03. Silver paint sounds nice next to the black paint. Dan

·
Registered
740 Posts
I always have the same problem with jacking points. I was fixing the alarm siren and had to jack up the car to get the wheel off. I ended up with some bend parts (how is this called again?) visible on the picture below

Can anyone suggest how I should set it up in the future to jack the car, based on this photo? It is looking from the driver side right under the door...
Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts