SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 01 Viggen almost right underneath the radiator there is what looks to be a jack point right in the middle of the car in the front. Does anyone with a Viggen here know if this is a safe place to raise the car to put it on jack stands? I dont want to get some weight on this thing and have it crush under weight. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Onto my next question.. Does anyone on their Saab ever put any acoustic insulation/thermal insulation on the interior of their hood? I have found this stuff: http://dynamat.com/products_car_audio_dynaliner.html

which sound about right, but on their spec sheet it rates their liners max. temp range at 200 degrees F. Does anyone know if these hot turbo cars temps under the hood is that high or higher? I dont have a heat shield on my Viggen (until I find a junk yard that actually has one). Im just curious if that liner isnt rated enough for how hot these things get. Or if anyone has used a different product please chime in..

Matt

·
Registered
124 Posts
On my 01 Viggen almost right underneath the radiator there is what looks to be a jack point right in the middle of the car in the front. Does anyone with a Viggen here know if this is a safe place to raise the car to put it on jack stands? I dont want to get some weight on this thing and have it crush under weight. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Onto my next question.. Does anyone on their Saab ever put any acoustic insulation/thermal insulation on the interior of their hood? I have found this stuff: http://dynamat.com/products_car_audio_dynaliner.html

which sound about right, but on their spec sheet it rates their liners max. temp range at 200 degrees F. Does anyone know if these hot turbo cars temps under the hood is that high or higher? I dont have a heat shield on my Viggen (until I find a junk yard that actually has one). Im just curious if that liner isnt rated enough for how hot these things get. Or if anyone has used a different product please chime in..

Matt
1. That jack point is a designed jack point.

2. Why want to eliminate motor/turbo sounds!!!!!!

Oh well im sure the 200 degrees heat rating will not withstand the heat

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. That jack point is a designed jack point.

2. Why want to eliminate motor/turbo sounds!!!!!!

Oh well im sure the 200 degrees heat rating will not withstand the heat

Very simple. I am having the hood repainted and the heat from underneath really does a number to the paint. ALmost cooks the wax off, and leaves it more vulnerable. I can hear the woosh just fine, my reason behind it is to protect the $400 paint job.

·
Registered
221 Posts
pony up for the heat shield and if your missing the factory insulation, replace that too. If you want ADDITIONAL insulation then that might be fine with the factory stuff in place. Figure that the EGT at the turbo is around 1000 to 1400F at times...that sucker is hot and you need that shield.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts

Matt
The jack points can be where-ever you want them to be.
Idea is to spread the stress , using knowledge and wood.
I doubt if the under-hood air temperature is above 200 degrees..
Has anyone ever measured this ?
I'd think it is better to use a new, upgraded hood insulator; unless you can find one in new condition on an old car.......
Underhood air flow is important, vital in a HOT set-up.
Is the exhaust manifold heat shield still in place ?
But, I think this is optional ......
Saab is not the only one with this problem.
How about the air cooled turbo Porsche ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No being bought used the insulation from factory is gone. Just bare metal. It also doesn't have a turbo heat shield. Ive been scouring the junk yards but these things are hard to find. Just like the damn jack point covers for my car. Been missing them since Ive owned it, and cant find those anywhere. And I am not willing to give eeuroparts (if they even have them available) $80 for just one.

So anyone know of any insulation or used anything other than the factory stuff? I know there is even spray insulator, but from what Ive read they are only good up to $400 degrees...and honestly I think it gets hotter under there. Wish someone would have some realistic numbers under the hood.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
No being bought used the insulation from factory is gone. Well, I hope the price was right....and what else is missing / messed up ?? Just bare metal. It also doesn't have a turbo heat shield. I do not know about this - may be optional ...debatible Ive been scouring the junk yards but these things are hard to find. probably impossible, a ton of patience and perseverance are required. Just like the damn jack point covers for my car. Been missing them since Ive owned it, and cant find those anywhere. make your own, using either wood or a plastic....I use wood (oak is nice) And I am not willing to give eeuroparts (if they even have them available) $80 for just one.

So anyone know of any insulation or used anything other than the factory stuff? not I...try RockAutoParts... I know there is even spray insulator, but from what Ive read they are only good up to $400 degrees...and honestly I think it gets hotter under there. Wish someone would have some realistic numbers under the hood.
To survive in this world, a man must be a clever DIY...this has always been the case.
Break out your "temperature gun" (Harbor Freight) and do some experimenting/scientific study.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To survive in this world, a man must be a clever DIY...this has always been the case.
Break out your "temperature gun" (Harbor Freight) and do some experimenting/scientific study.

Ummm. No. the car is not messed up. Missing a insulation shield on a hood is probably the least important thing I would worry about from buying a used car....especially a Saab, and ESPECIALLY a Viggen. Its just like a Jeep. You buy it pretty much knowing that prior owners ragged it out.

I just wanted some opinions from everyone. Realistically, I was curious if anyone had input on the temp under these hoods.

·
Registered
19,169 Posts
No specifics, but I'll guarantee it's way past 200 degrees on a hot summer day under the hood. FYI - Body panels can reach 170 degrees just from the sun on a hot day.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forum...-in-the-sun-How-HOT-does-your-car-s-paint-get

Something that only handles 200 degrees will probably combust after it dries out from the heat.

Looks like you can buy the Saab factory isulation, if it's available, for $87. Part # 5096003. Double check the number before ordering. You also need some of the plugs to hold it in... or you could try for something from the hardware store.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No specifics, but I'll guarantee it's way past 200 degrees on a hot summer day under the hood. FYI - Body panels can reach 170 degrees just from the sun on a hot day.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forum...-in-the-sun-How-HOT-does-your-car-s-paint-get

Something that only handles 200 degrees will probably combust after it dries out from the heat.

Looks like you can buy the Saab factory isulation, if it's available, for $87. Part # 5096003. Double check the number before ordering. You also need some of the plugs to hold it in... or you could try for something from the hardware store.
Thanks man much appreciated. Ya know its funny I just ran into that picture online when I was scouring the Meguiars forum about some wax I bought. And those are just numbers on the outside paint. I know it has got to be probably over 5-600 under the hood under load. I know it isnt a real big deal, but having bought this Viggen I am trying to put her back to 'stock' as best I can...including little things like hood insulation, replacing the badges, etc.. How did you get that part number or where did you find it?

·
Registered
19,169 Posts
I might have a program that looks a lot like the Saab EPC :)

Once you have the number you can look it up at Genuine Saab. They have a Saab catalog part lookup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts