SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i'm relatively new to this whole "do-it-yourself" saab stuff and i need some help. The other night, something snapped on my gas pedal and left it imobile. luckily i had a mechanic friend with me that rigged it and it is only working due to a vice grip holding something to something(beats me :cheesy: ). The part that is broken is this tiny little plastic washer looking thing. in order to get a new one, i have to know what it is, and that's where hopefully one of you guys come in. i just recently replaced my throttle cable, but my brother (4saabs2many) seems to think its some sort of end part to that. apparently that did not come with the new part, because this one looks ancient. anyway, i have a link to a picture i took. please someone say they know what this is. i feel like such a dope because this tiny little plastic piece is driving me crazy.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/8850/saabpart001jn8.jpg

Thanks, Tiffanie

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
HOLY FREAKING FUZZY PICTURE BATMAN!!!

Nah, she has a 5spd. Aparently this little bugger is somewhere up where the accellorator meets the throttle cable, but I'm not sure. Before our friend (I'm her brother but I live 2 hours away, so I'm not there to meddle with it) put the vice grip on it, you could aparently press the pedal down to no avail. I thought it might be one of those plastic ends that if you don't have it, when you try to pull on the throttle cable the sleeve trys to move too.... If that makes ANY sense.

I can't really tell from that pic either. I might have to get in under my car tomorrow and see what I can find.

Tiff, I know how your camera is, but is there anyway to get a bigger picture on imageshack? Was it bigger before you uploaded it, becuase if Imageshack shrunk it I can always put it up on my webspace.

Why am I talking to you on a forum? I should call you :p

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
That coin is a dime incase anyone is curious :p

The part was small enough that when I asked her to take another picture, she couldn't find it!!! :eek:

Sure looks simple enough to jerry-rig

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I THINK that's the plastic bit that holds the cable end to the bellcrank (which operates the throttle cable) - if it was a VW I'd KNOW for sure (replaced more than a couple of 'em) - not sure what the heck it's called ... I think the last time I bought one I called it "the gehingus that holds the cable to the bell crank" ;)

·
Registered
'02 9-5 Aero Wagon, '88 SPG, '02 Viggen Vert, '01 Viggen 4dr, +Triumphs & MGs
1,747 Posts
Hmm, I have the EPC here - but it only goes back to 86. Which end of the cable/linkage did it come off of - and where did he attach the vice grips?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
aparently from what I heard (maybe tiff will post tonight, but don't bank on it) The vice grips are above the accelorator pedal in the knee bolster area where you have to lay down on your back with your feet in the air to see them.

From the explination I got over the phone, the plastic clip seemed ...SEEMED... only to go where a "void" was in teh jacket of the throttle cable. So if you were to pop off the vice grips, you would see a split in the black throttle cable jacket and see the metal cable....errr I think?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm...

ok, so the reason i'm not too sure where the vice grips are is because it is so far up. i can only look so far up because the break pedal is in my face ( literally, i probably have a mark from trying to figure it out). if i took the grips off, i dont know if i could put them back correctly...it seemed very touchy with a high idle. my friend rigged it enough to have my car idleing at a slightly loud 2500 rpms. it would make sence what you said there folkie...i just wish i knew what it was called. maybe i should just call advanced auto or somewhere and ask for it the best way i know how....i just dont trust that those folks know too much about the good ol' girl (or saabs in general=). Thanks for trying to help guys.

Tiffanie

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I've never had to buy a new throttle cable assembly, because I am a scavenger (allways have been, probably always will be). I can offer this, every throttle cable I've replaced was attached, at the peddal end with a simple sort of s-shaped link that stays put once it's in place, one bolt on the firewall/bulkhead that holds the housing, and at the throttle body by way of a braket that holds the housing (little metal clip) and a bullet cable end that is hooked (and squeezed lightly with pliars) to the cam on the end of the throttle-plate axle. I have no idea what that part could be that does not come with the assembly or where one might need to use vise-grips to make it work.:confused: Perhaps the new cable you got is defective.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I think that is a little bushing that goes on the Z or S end of the cable, you put the end though the notch on the pedel, then slide that over the Z/S end and let go and it pulls up agasint the pedel and keeps it from going though the notch in the pedel. The pressure keeps the bushing from coming off. Without that I think your throttle cable is going to just slip right though the end of the pedel. The bad news is I don't have a clue where you would get that part and Saab probably doesn't even make it any more. The good news is thats a fairly common fastening technique, espicially on lawn mowers, :D , and should be fairly easy to find another fastener that will do the same job or at worst jury rig up another attachment way.

Cheers!
Welcome!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I agree - but then again without seeing the part or actually what is on your car, it is very hard to tell. I hate to say it but I think the best method to see what is up would be to remove the throttle cable, see if anything is broken or missing - then reinstall.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
EXACTLY! :cheesy: Like I was suggesting Tiffanie get in there and fix it herself....did not mean to convey that ;)

Seriously though, if the pliers are on the end of the cable - then it would appear that piece is the locking part for attaching to the pedal arm....so on the newer saabs there is a plasctic clip on the end of the cable that locks into a round groove...I would expect something similar - or like stated it is supposed to be placed on the S cable end to simply prevent it from pulling out. Quite frankly this may be an occasion for a zip tie and some mechanical review.

I will be hitting a junkyard this weekend - if it is not resolved by then - let me know - and I will grab something there and ship it to you.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
ROFL

I'll be down for thanksgiving if she needs help ;) I'm an hour and a half away, which isn't big deal, I could go down anyday...IF I had a license. The common wealth of PA told me I can't get it back till Jan :( (lesson learned trust me...)

Steve is closser... I nominate him!! HAH! :p:cheesy::lol::p

·
Registered
24 Posts
wierd dial

I have 1991 saab 900 turbo project car, runs great, on the dash by the speedometer I found the trip resent button and the interior light dimmer but

on the left side just under the left mirror adjusgment nob there is a round point knob that does nothing that i can see. the guy at saab said it was a dimmer but it isnt any ideas?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts