SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I released the 18" wheels and 330mm AP Racing front brakes from the 900 Convertible today and dropped them onto the 9-5 waggon.

Instant visual impact change, the 9-5 suddenly gained road presence; handling sharpened up with better turn in from the extra load tyre's stiff sidewalls, comfort and roadnoise not severely affected.

It's ability to stop? :cool: I know these brakes well as I've had them a while on the convertible and they were total overkill on a 2.3 N/A weighing 1400kgs; I also run a set on my tracked up talladega, I cannot enthuse about them enough, so I shan't say much, suffice to say they are the best brake package available for a Saab off the peg.

This is all about getting ready for Abbott Gamma to delta tune up; it's always best to get them to stop and turn before you make them go.

I've no idea what the camera had focused on; note the amount of dust shroud I had to cut off, I leave a bit on to shield the ABS sensor...

Better shot from the same time...

After road test...

On the left one of the 288mm rotors I removed, on the right a 308mm aero/viggen rotor [I do have a spare set lying about!] and in the middle is the AP Racing rotor, 330mmx28 48 vane curved and handed castings too...

I also fitted a front lip off an aero at the same time it doesn't fit to well, it seems the aero bumper as a whole is subtly different.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Love the brakes :cool:

Gonna have to slam that ride height though :confused:

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris 9-5 said:
Gonna have to slam that ride height though :confused:
I Can't, it's all for towing a caravan!

:eek:

Really.

I may add [if I can blag a discount] a MAD suspension system for the rear; I think Witter have the deal on the towbar, hopefully fully detatchable with concealable electrics.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
That's some cool tow car :cool:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Love the rims which ones are they?? Is this the 'Big Brake' upgrade??

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fusionrx said:
Love the rims which ones are they?? Is this the 'Big Brake' upgrade??
Rims are Borbet XL with black infill.

The brakes are AP Racing as Partsforsaabs and Abbott Racing supply link; though I politely disagree with Abbott's choice of pads, I happen to think the Mintex are a bit pants in comparision to Ferodo DS2500 that I have on the other car with the same brakeset.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
The brake discs are £249 each plus vat :eek:

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Looks really nice.... Got a question though... How come most UK SAABs don't have moonroofs? On my side of the pond I haven't seen a 9-5 without a moonroof.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Good question! They are ultra rare here.

I saw on on a V6 Griffin once :confused:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I have a moonroof! :cool:

(Just thought I'd brag cause you guys have Abbott and Nordic on your side. :evil: )

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Over here they are called a "sun roof" thats probably why we dont have many :roll:

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SectorNine50 said:
I have a moonroof! :cool:
They just add weight and weaken the shell; if you want open air get a convertible ;)

My talladega has a sunroof and I wish it didn't.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
ragtopcav said:
They just add weight and weaken the shell; if you want open air get a convertible ;)

Strange.... I would be hard pressed to give mine up...

Back on topic, those brakes look insane but Jeremy Clarkson still hates you. :)

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
ragtopcav said:

Convertibles are generally much much more flexible than a hard top with a sun roof. Imagine trying to reinforce a chassis enough to make up for not having a roof.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SectorNine50 said:
Convertibles are generally much much more flexible than a hard top with a sun roof. Imagine trying to reinforce a chassis enough to make up for not having a roof.
I think you mis-understand; if you are going to have a compromised chassis then do it properly and fold the roof away and enjoy that experience; it's better to have a full tin lid or non at all rather than a fudge.

My 1st car without a sunroof was a Saab and I'm not looking back.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Gotchaaaa

Well regardless, a sunroof won't effect rigidity nearly as much as a rag-top would, but that's a technicality and it's different strokes for different folks! :cool:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
ragtopcav said:
They just add weight and weaken the shell
'Add weight' :lol:
Surely a joke, the additional 2 or 3 kg (total guesstimate) can't possibly be noticable on these colossal beasts :confused:

'Weaken the shell'
Nah :confused:

sunroofs/moonroofs/whatever are a pain on older cars because they leak, vibrate etc but I wouldn't be without one.

On calm summer's evenings when the stars are out and it's warm but not hot enough to use the aircon is when these babies are at their best.

Three of my four eating kentucky fried dog, oh, and my sunroof :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
way OT, but cute kids.

I got 5 myself (of course that means I cannot fit them in the car - that is why I have a monstrous SUV as well). KFD huh? I always wondered what was in that stuff.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gazolzwurf said:
'Add weight' :lol:
Surely a joke, the additional 2 or 3 kg (total guesstimate) can't possibly be noticable on these colossal beasts :confused:

'Weaken the shell'
Nah :confused:

sunroofs/moonroofs/whatever are a pain on older cars because they leak, vibrate etc but I wouldn't be without one.

On calm summer's evenings when the stars are out and it's warm but not hot enough to use the aircon is when these babies are at their best.

Three of my four eating kentucky fried dog
I'll start from the bottom and I would not feed my children that garbage.

As I've already posted if you like the stars when you look up get a convertible, a hole in the roof is a dodgy comprimise. As for older cars, you will need to qualify what is older as my wife's 1989 Vauxhall Astra had the same primary roof mechanism you'll find in a 1999 9-3 and it is probably the same in the 9-5 also [remember all Saab's are from other marque's spares bin] that Astra never leaked BTW, but the Talladega I have certainly did and has the mildew stains to prove it [Saab changed the drain outlet points and their design is inferior to a late eighties Vauxhall :roll: ].

Of course it weakens the shell; IIRC FIA homologation requires no sunroof.

Some of the best crash tested cars are without a sunroof. [a current Toyota has a primary member exactly where you expect to find the hole, this structure is key to it's strength and it will never have a sunroof cut-out].

You've never changed one then? try 25-30kgs for the roof mechanism.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
ragtopcav said:
You've never changed one then? try 25-30kgs for the roof mechanism.
I have removed the one off of my 9000 to redo the upholstry of the roof door. :eek: Yeah it was a bit on the heavy side but for me a small flap is good enough until I can afford a second car with no roof.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts