SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm posting this because I don't know if this will be the last time I'll get to interact with you guys as a Saab owner myself. My dream car since I was little has always been the 9-3 Convertible and I finally had one. She took a beating too and was always faithful to me. Since I am disabled I hadn't been able to care for her like I should but I'd still get from point A to point B.

That was until a few nights ago when I was just driving home going 70mph (cruise control) and all the sudden I see this deer pop it's head up right above my hood. I didn't even have time to brake. So now my car has been totaled :x and I don't know that I will be able to find a bank to finance a 07 9-3. The really sad part was that I only had 6 months of payments left.:cry:

Here are the pics (I mean I almost vaporized the thing, there was this blood mist everywhere including all up the back of my car and trunk and the highway):

·
Super Moderator
20,061 Posts
Car driveable? Buy it back and keep going. Sorry to hear about the accident.

·
Registered
619 Posts
why is that totaled?
Because the value is so low. When the body shop quotes new prices for a bumper, rad, intercooler, etc plus paint and labor, it quickly exceeds the value of the car. Many shops around here will jiggle the quote around to meet the desires of the owner. If the owner really expresses an interest in having it fixed, they might offer a lower quote with used or aftermarket parts. If you want it totalled, they quote it different. If you let the insurance company handle everything and don't mention any desires, they may rather cut you a check and recoup most of it across the auction block.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I would fix it. Doesn't look like there's any frame damage, so you're possibly looking at a new bumper, ac condenser, radiator, maybe fog lights? Good to hear you made it out unharmed anyways.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sorry to hear.

You just recently did your rear brakes too, didn't you?

If it had to happen, the deer could have at least jumped out in front of you a few months back before you tackled the brakes.

What did you end up doing about the rear brakes by the way? Did you end up getting a rebuild kit, use caliper, or brought it to your Saab guy?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ask the insurance company what the salvage value is. I suspect you're going to find it rather low, and therefore very worth keeping. For example, my 04 Aero convertible had a salvage value of $75, and that was last month.

The damage looks cosmetic and not structural, so a junkyard trip or two for bits and bobs that get bolted on should have you good to go. Might not have the right color, but that can be fixed later. In fact it looks like it might be completely driveable now, and legal with just cleaning broken stuff off (grill insert, etc), and reattaching lights and reflectors.

The bank or credit union that financed you previously will likely do it again for a similar car, should you go that route. Particularly if you are good customer with good credit.

·
Premium Member
11,182 Posts
I don't understand. The insurance totals it, they give you the full value of the car, you go buy another one. What's the problem?
Really?
He has six months of payments left (and remember that previous payments were a combination of principal and interest, so significantly less than every dollar he paid went into ownership equity). That sum, the balance due on the original loan for the damaged car, will have to come from the settlement. Also factor in that the insurance company will not be generous in calculating the value of the vehicle. When all is said and done, how much actual cash will he have left to go buy another car? My guess is he will have enough to buy a 1991 Yugo and a tank of gas. OK, I exaggerate. Maybe a 1998 Corolla and half a tank of gas.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you have not already accepted the insurance check, you CAN ask for more. I know several people that have argued the value of their vehicles and got more $$.
I hit a deer a few month ago. I don't have full coverage. I was able to buy all used parts, except headlights.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Saab.

But there are still options out there for financing a newer Saab. Credit unions are typically more lenient on loans for older vehicles and oftentimes have decent interest rates for cars over eight years old. You can also look into what a dealership or lot will finance on one of their Saabs as another option.

Otherwise, depending on the damage under the car, you could try buying yours back from insurance and fix it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to hear.

You just recently did your rear brakes too, didn't you?

If it had to happen, the deer could have at least jumped out in front of you a few months back before you tackled the brakes.

What did you end up doing about the rear brakes by the way? Did you end up getting a rebuild kit, use caliper, or brought it to your Saab guy?
Wow sorry everyone for not responding, didn't realize I'd get so many replies and I passed out yesterday.

Yes I did just do my brakes, cool that you remembered cause that was a b**. I'm having memory issues since the accident but I think the solution was one of those caliper collapser tools but you also have to spin the piston while pushing on it so I had a pipe wrench (covered in cloth) twisting while the tool pushed. Got the job done, and I also had to do the front brakes as well. Much easier except for those damned clips.

You are right though I wish this had happened well after I worked on them. It also had a fairly new set of Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position tires on the back (I loved those tires). Oh and I had just replaced the ballast on the headlight for the second time lol.

I have made up my mind that I will be getting another Saab one way or another. Just no way I can go back to driving regular cars now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really?
He has six months of payments left (and remember that previous payments were a combination of principal and interest, so significantly less than every dollar he paid went into ownership equity). That sum, the balance due on the original loan for the damaged car, will have to come from the settlement. Also factor in that the insurance company will not be generous in calculating the value of the vehicle. When all is said and done, how much actual cash will he have left to go buy another car? My guess is he will have enough to buy a 1991 Yugo and a tank of gas. OK, I exaggerate. Maybe a 1998 Corolla and half a tank of gas.
Yeah they take out what I owed on the car plus my deductible which was $500. I don't want to reply to everyone who brought up buying the salvage or getting more money from them so I'll just say that here. They were actually very generous on the amount they gave me for the car (Progressive), they valued it at like $8500 or something which is what clean retail is for my car at that year with 93k miles on it. They actually rated stuff as "3-good" that was crap like my two front tires so I don't mind that.

As far as them totaling it or that not looking so bad there was actual frame damage and the bottom of the radiator was ripped off. The deer was under my car for a while and there is a bunch of stuff broken underneath but I couldn't tell exactly what cause I couldn't get it on a lift. I promised my daughter this car (cause I won't be able to drive much longer) so I'm not gonna give her a salvage titled car. I will buy a newer Saab I'm thinking, I thought in 08 is when they went to 4-cylinders in the Aeros but I was wrong so I can get my bank to finance 08s or 09s.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Such is the issue with working with older cars.

While we don't pay as much up front, we do put money into getting them in shape and invest time for those of us who do a lot of DIY. It connects us to the cars far more than the person who leases a Camry and drives on. I know I've invested some money (<$2000 if you don't count tires) and a boatload of time. I would be BEYOND heartbroken if anything were to happen to my 9-5 before I'm ready. Insurance just doesn't compensate us for the parts and sweat we put into them.

Funny, I was thinking about that as I was driving to the dealer today for my airbag inflator replacement. How ironic would it be to get involved in an accident on the way to getting your recalled airbag fixed.

I drove carefully.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Such is the issue with working with older cars.

While we don't pay as much up front, we do put money into getting them in shape and invest time for those of us who do a lot of DIY. It connects us to the cars far more than the person who leases a Camry and drives on. I know I've invested some money (<$2000 if you don't count tires) and a boatload of time. I would be BEYOND heartbroken if anything were to happen to my 9-5 before I'm ready. Insurance just doesn't compensate us for the parts and sweat we put into them.

Funny, I was thinking about that as I was driving to the dealer today for my airbag inflator replacement. How ironic would it be to get involved in an accident on the way to getting your recalled airbag fixed.

I drove carefully.
Wait they are actually doing the fixes now? Yeah I have owned two cars with Takata airbags including the year model Civic that is responsible for the most deaths (at least when I checked a while back). Both times I hit something in a front end collision going 55mph+ and both times the airbags didn't deploy. It super puzzling to me that my airbags didn't deploy this time. So now I have this theory that dealers have been secretly disabling the airbags if you take your vehicle in for some other service.

Reason why I believe this is because on both occasions my cars had just been to the dealer for something else. Like my 9-3 had just gotten the seat belt replacement. I mean I know if I was running a corp and had this issue that's what I would do, no airbags is far better than killing people because you can't fix them fast enough.

To your point about working on them I totally agree. I have done all the repairs on this car myself but being as my disability is getting worse and is progressive I'm having to hand off more and more. It really sucks cause I don't trust other people under my hood lol. I mean it is a real problem finding people who know how to work with Saab's in general. Like I had one shop almost put in regular power steering fluid :|

·
Premium Member
11,182 Posts
The NHTSA requires air bags (original rule adopted in 1996). The applicable federal rule exists in the form of a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS). Federal rules promulgated in accordance with the federal Administrative Procedure Act have the force and effect of law, meaning that they are enforced just as if they are statutes passed by Congress. Air bags MAY be lawfully deactivated by a dealer, but only in accordance with the limitations permitted by the NHTSA in its rules. The limitations enumerate the circumstances under which an automobile owner may request deactivation and the things that the dealer must do when deactivating the air bag. These include installation of an illuminated on/off switch for the air bag, affixing appropriate labels to the vehicle and a notification/waiver that must be provided to and signed and initialed by the owner. Any dealer that secretly disables an air bag is assuming massive potential criminal and civil liabilities. There is a case pending right now involving an Arlington, Texas car dealer alleged to have secretly disabled air bags.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Wait they are actually doing the fixes now?

<snip>
Yeah, I called Monday inquiring, they said there were parts in transit and they assigned one to me.

Got a call Tuesday that they were in and scheduled an appt. for Thursday morning.

Replaced Thursday morning.

So apparently at least GM is getting some parts sent out to dealers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The NHTSA requires air bags (original rule adopted in 1996). The applicable federal rule exists in the form of a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS). Federal rules promulgated in accordance with the federal Administrative Procedure Act have the force and effect of law, meaning that they are enforced just as if they are statutes passed by Congress. Air bags MAY be lawfully deactivated by a dealer, but only in accordance with the limitations permitted by the NHTSA in its rules. The limitations enumerate the circumstances under which an automobile owner may request deactivation and the things that the dealer must do when deactivating the air bag. These include installation of an illuminated on/off switch for the air bag, affixing appropriate labels to the vehicle and a notification/waiver that must be provided to and signed and initialed by the owner. Any dealer that secretly disables an air bag is assuming massive potential criminal and civil liabilities. There is a case pending right now involving an Arlington, Texas car dealer alleged to have secretly disabled air bags.
Oh don't get me wrong I definitely know it sounds crazy and it would be stupidly illegal it's just I can't see any reason why my airbags didn't deploy in this accident. In my civic maybe because it was more a glancing blow as I was able to turn and try to make it for the ditch before hitting the van in front of me who cut me off but this one was dead center and hit every part of my car at 70mph without me braking. It was one of the most violent hits I've taken (and I've been in 15 car accidents, only 3 were my fault just really bad luck).

So either it was deactivated or the sensor was damaged when the cop made me drive across that flooded bridge and the water got so high my license plate bent parallel to the ground. Hmmm I'm guessing they are located right about license plate level no?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I called Monday inquiring, they said there were parts in transit and they assigned one to me.

Got a call Tuesday that they were in and scheduled an appt. for Thursday morning.

Replaced Thursday morning.

So apparently at least GM is getting some parts sent out to dealers.
Well that makes me even more bummed about this wreck lol. Still I'll be getting another one so it's good to hear they are getting fixed. Have you had your seatbelt fixed yet?

·
Registered
680 Posts
You had a hard and violent hit I'm sure with lots of blood and guts and fur but you didn't have a violent deceleration event. That's what would be required for the airbags to deploy.

If I recall correctly, I remember an instance where a low speed collision in I think a dodge caravan airbag killed a 10 year old kid. It was something like a 10-15mph fender bender with virtually no visible damage to the exterior.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts