SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I took out the passenger seat to replace the release cable, I got a wild hair and decided to re-dye my seats. Not so sure that was the smartest idea because the seats are pretty bad. Here's a pic of the bottom passenger seat cushion after I cleaned/prepped it with pre-dye leather cleaner/prep spray using a scotch-brite scuff pad that the company recommended. The amount of crap that came off was unreal, and as you can see, well the seat isn't in the best of shape. Looking at this pic you would assume that no way this seat is black, and I think that's why people always ask.... wtf are the color of my seats? I really should have taken a pic before I started scuffing it up, ooops, oh well. So after some research I found out that the color of the viggen seats can be Rocky Black or Charcoal gray. The guy that I bought it from in the UK stated that they are pretty much the same color, if not the same from what he can tell. But I guess Rocky black didn't go over to well as a name. So I bought Rocky black. It's a water based dye that goes on real easy with a sponge, and a little goes a long way. I tested it on the back of the seat, and besides the fact that it’s a tad bit shinier, it looked almost identical. I then tested on the front of the seat which has faded to all heck, and although it looks to be the same, the difference is pretty unreal. More pics to come…

Attachments

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alrighty, so the bottom is done, waiting on the back to dry. After I sanded the cracks, I used a filler, sanded those with 600 grit, cleaned and laid down 5 lite coats of dye. It's not very easy getting these to look good when you have black seats as they show everything, but not bad for a rookie. All I need to do is seal them now.
The drivers seat is trashed though, no way I get it to look this good. I'm swapping the driver and passenger cushion which should even the look out, sort of.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts