SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! It's been a while! I bought my car earlier this summer and joined, asking a lot of questions for a while but tonight I ran into a problem. Since I joined I've complained about a noise from perhaps a pulley and have neglected to get it checked out. I was close to home tonight when my power steering was very limited. I made it home and checked my belt. It was off the pulleys and I noticed, what I believed to be, the idler pulley. Its the one you can bypass when converting to the short belt. It was not in rotation when the engine was running and was obviously off balance and messed up looking... like it was broke. The car still moved with the belt being off but steering was horrible.

From the beginning of my car purchase I could hear a sqeaky sound and figured it was a pulley and you all helped me norrow it down to that possibility. In the past week the noise got a lot worse, like it was struggling to keep up.

Is it possible that my car has motion with a belt not on track? I guess I am looking for some suggestions on what to do. I dont have a lot of money to take it in for repair if I'm gonna get robbed or scammed. I wouldnt mind trying to fix it myself but I live in Wisconsin and its been getting cold around here lately.

What is the most I am looking to pay for a repair for this? Anything I should do to figure out this problem any further? Would I be safe driving my car to the shop to get it looked at?

Thanks for any tips!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Hi, swopping the belt to the short version deletes that pulley. But you will need to look at the rear pulley when you do it as that one wears out too.

Mine only lasted a couple miles in the squeeky stage - then it ate the belt and I HAD to stop. I just reread your post: Your belt is off so don't drive it! The water pump is on there too.

Search for 'short belt' for the length and part number. I posted it a year or so ago as have others before.

You don't have to remove the roadwheel, just the plastic shield behind the wheel. Leave the steering full lock right.

Belt is fairly easy to swop as is the rear pulley. The centre pully is a pain to get at so can be ignored with the short belt.

http://pages.infinit.net/mlbriand/saab/shortbelt/page1.html

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
hunt.dogshome said:
...Mine only lasted a couple miles in the squeeky stage - then it ate the belt and I HAD to stop...
Mine lasted about 3 days, each time the squeeking started. 4 months? the car must be blessed, LOL!

The first thing is to figure out what actually failed, and what you need.

You can't drive the car for more than about 1-2 miles without overheating, because the water pump is not running w/o the belt.

The first time only the "bad" pulley was replaced, then the same thing happend with the second one a few thousand miles later. Since you only owned the car a few months, if the lower idler pulley went, there is a good chance someone replaced the upper one recently, and "forgot" the lower one.

The lower pulley is a common part you can get from a local (Milwaukee) part store, made by Dayco for example. The upper pulley is probably only stocked by the local Saab Dealers.

The "short" belt is also a common size which is often stocked at local stores.

The long belt is not that common, usually about 2 days to order one from a part store for about $30, or about $60 from a dealer (#4904728 <old p/n>, or
93185049 <new p/n>).​

Upper Idler: # 4356127, $54 list (less at EEuroparts.com)
Lower Idler: # 4960290, $54 list (can be matched to a Dayco pulley)

Idler Pulleys

A dealer typically charges about $300 for the whole job. A repair shop closer to $200.

If you plan to diy, and you need some help in Milw., let me know. I may even have some spare parts lying around from my adventures with the pulleys, <chuckle>.

This really belongs in the workshop section, not performance, btw.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! Thanks for the replies. Sorry about posting in the wrong section.

PMI: If you could help me with my issue, I would be more than happy to pay for your time. I'll send you a message.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All better! Thanks to the friendly PMI!

On the road again and lovin my Saab!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Glad to help. Lucky this car was only blocks from home when the pulley went. I wish I had been that lucky with mine <chuckle>.

Aside from that, the car seems to be in remarkably good shape considering the age and mileage.

For anyone else reading this, one pulley was broken (lower), and the second which was still in place when we looked at it had a pretty dry bearing, and rattled while being spun. That is why it is usually best to either replace both pulleys at the same time, or convert to the short belt configuration on the NG900.

We used the Goodyear Gatorback, p/n 4060967, 96.75 inches, for the short belt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts