SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see Vtuner has been doing the work he said he would be doing well over a year ago, so it's good to see progress there.
I see he has a wheel update as well that's very cool.

I think though to see any decent power upgrades we're going to have to see if anyone is willing to take the plunge to do a nice tubular turbo manifolds and a larger GT35R or therebouts turbo. Perhaps a nice T66, or S366.

There was an Opel tuner that thre a GT35R on the Insignia with the 2.8T making some decent power!

I'd like to see where this takes everyone.

Vtuner I do have a question for you though. On your first stage where you upgrade the wheel, the power still dives hard at 5000 RPM, but the next stage increases the power beyond that. Is that a function of the LB/MIN limitation you've recently broken through?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I have a couple of the turbos here. Just waiting on the right car to upgrade one and start playing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some just like the sound of a 6.

I'd suggest some 800CC injectors and a nice 255 Walbro for the tank run some E85 with a S366, on the 2.8.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Meh...

Why not just swap in a LS2 and be done with it ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, larger turbo is so much more work than an entire drivetrain swap.

And again. 8 != 6.

Lets try something together.

4 cylinders aren't the same as a V6.

The same is true if we look at the 8 cylinder, it is not the same in fact as a 6 cylinder.
:cheesy:
This thread is actually about "Hey long time no see guys, and let's get some kick butt 2.8 V6 mod info and project outlines" :]

Hehe.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's gonna take more than a wally 255hp and 800cc injectors for a s366 and E85. Probably 255 intank and a 044 inline with some 1150cc injectors. But the s366 is way overkill I'd be happy with a nice 3086 or the like, still keep fun down low and yet pull to redline. Couldn't we just make some kind of adapter plate from the stock mani to a t3? Anyone have pics od what the exhaust manis look like?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What are you talking about its gonna take more than a wally, and 800cc injectors? To do what? Run?

Yeah no kidding.

Or are you referring to a specific power goal? Im confused.

P.S. I've built turbo systems before brotha, and your version of overkill just may in fact by my idea of do it right the first time.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
V6's are for little girls that make plenty of power the easy way.

I wish I had the 2.8 lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol. I dunno man it seems like the I-4 is the easy way, there is an aftermarket for those, nothing really for the 2.8 save for some enthusiasts. Which I hope will change.

P.S. Congratulations Saab on your new deal, best of luck with Spyker!

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
vtuner has a v6 at 390hp right now on sale to the general public.

the only aftermarket going beyong 300hp for the i4 costs more then my car is worth lol. Nick is making some huge progress though (genuine saab)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doing mods on a car that isn't worth tons of money is where it's at bud. You get to keep the car, not worry about warranty stuff, and now develop a relationship with the car by re-engineering it to your liking!

To give everyone a heads up, the 15t to 19t upgrade is something the 3000s have been doing for a while. Only they run TWIN 15ts to twin 19ts...

Time for a LARGE single turbo :] in my opinion.

·
Registered
46 Posts
"What are you talking about its gonna take more than a wally, and 800cc injectors? To do what? Run?

Yeah no kidding.

Or are you referring to a specific power goal? Im confused.

P.S. I've built turbo systems before brotha, and your version of overkill just may in fact by my idea of do it right the first time."

I'm saying to max out the s366, you could slap it in with the stock fuel system too but what's the point in that. I do have to say with the awd and the s366, it would be the cat's meow :D

I can't justify the 19t upgrade when you could get a higher flowing snail for a bit more. But hey if your looking for all your power down low and sh!t for top end.....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not sure if you are for or against what I posted.

There is no need to MAX out a turbo. Larger turbos are also desireable at low boost for engines that breathe well on their own, if you look at compressor maps often times you will see 6s or V8s simply process a lot of air even at low boost.

In any event, I am the type of person to really enjoy the kick 5000 rpm and up. I come from a Supra background, I've had all the tree stump pulling torque I wanted before in my modded GTP, it wasn't nearly as fun as my Supra was.

Plus large turbos sound amazing! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Whats the point of having a 800whp capable turbo when all your going to run is 400-500whp? Ok you don't want to buy twice I see that, but lets say you have this 80lbs/min turbo for two years, until you build your fuel system short block etc to handle its potential. During those years you could of had a smaller 50lbs/min snail, that would be a heck more fun and when your ready to upgrade sell the smaller setup to recoupe some duckets. Most people that buy a large turbo and build their engine up to handle the lbs/min, are disapointed because their running ~15psi when the snail is capable of 40psi. The performance is just lack luster down low waiting until the big boy spools and as soon as she's getting ready to really sing your waste gate opens or your out of fuel because your turbo is to big for your current setup.

IDK it's all personel prefrence but looking from a shops point of view their probably not gonna want to dissapoint the customer. Just playing devils advocate here:cheesy:

Either way I love you man:cheesy:

Whoever is making that DP should look into making some headers, your DP is amazing why stop their, you could have the 2.8T on lockdown. Either a open T3 or divided T4, the divided T4 would be sick!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Preface, you mah dawg son. :}
And all of this below, while being fact, is indeed a preference of mine without question. Again some like power and response down low, some prefer a balance, and some prefer to maximize at the top end of the rpm spectrum, I am the latter :] With that said.

Read a compressor map it tells all. Some of us don't like running a turbo off the edge of it's map like they do from the factory, it's great for response but terrible for everything else.

Running off the map = very hot air.

Also, larger wheels and housings will allow the engine to yeild a higher NATURAL Volumetric efficiency.

Here is something to always remember, that no one either A) thinks about or B) has heard of...

Lets say you've got a motor that is either turbocharged, or will be turboed. Since I choose to run a higher VE and lower boost, rather than a lower VE and higher boost for many many reasons, I'd like you all to consider this.

An engine's VE is comprised of all of it's hardware. Cams, head flow, manifolds TB, intake charge pipe length, muffler and air filter selection and everything in b/t that is obvious. What people fail to realize though is that their turbo itself is yet another manifold, wheel and all.

Unfortunately there isn't a way to really do this, but you need to consider it. If we could take a turbocharger, and cut the shaft in the center so the vehicle would still spin the wheel and basically run without boost. Outside of a backpressure change (which affects VE but we're no longer using the exhaust to compress the intake) THAT is out VE.

Breathing through the housing and past the wheel is part of the VE of the motor. So if you pretend that turbochargers didn't infact compress air and we all had turbo housings with wheels on our intake and exhaust, just like going with a larger free flow intake, or porting out the intake manifold or getting a larger TB, we would increase the size of the wheel and the compressor housing. Same obviously goes with the exhaust housing and wheel.

The larger these wheels and housings are, the more air the motor would be able to breathe in. Remeber an NA car IS already under boost, 14.7 psi or therebouts in fact.

So lets say we had a 2.8 liter motor with stock turbo housing and we didn't run out of turbocharger ability to produce whatever boost we wanted. A LARGER turbo will allow the engine to naturally process the air/boost on its own causing horsepower to go up, and often drastically.

I've seen people in the SAME part of an efficiency compressor map, switch to a larger COMPRESSOR housing (not exhaust) and pick up near 85 WHP, yes this was around 650 WHP to begin with, but its a percentage change of VE that I personally am going after.

If you like running a turbo on the ragged edge of its compressor map, just so you can spin the tires in first gear, go ahead. If you prefer increasing a few extra PSI rather than have the motor breathe on its own, go ahead, again that is part of the equation.

With a larger turbo you're simply going to be making more power on pump gas than with a smaller one, and last I checked this wasn't exactly an 8.5:1 jobber in the 90's :]

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree with you 100% but.. with a larger comp/turb wheel comes lag, regardless on how you look at it HP isn't free, its a give take situation. I'm sure that 85WHP was a little higher in the rpm ban as well, unless something else was wrong in the setup.

SAAB/GM equiped the 2.8t with a small turbo for a reason, if they put a s366, s374, 42R ect on stock, your typical SAAB driver would hate it. The 4cyl would woop it stop to stop. Sure your HP may be 250 still but not till ~5000rpm or whatever.

BTW how did that Supra Tax treat ya:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts