SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all... it's been a good 5 years I guess since I've been on this forum; back then it was for a 9000, now I found a pretty cherry 900 'vert and have been having a swell time with the top down.

Except...

The A/C doesn't blow cold. I jumped the low pressure switch and the compressor works, the A/C switch works, everything seems just peachy.

Except...

Once I found out it had low refrigerant, I bought some of the cheap DIY R12a stuff and have been screwing around ever since. I replaced the original R134a adaptor (it's been converted from R12 at some point in the past) with the one from the R12a kit. I ran the compressor, added in the PAG equivalent stuff (since I figure who knows how long the compressor's been out of it), it was accepted into the system and everything hovered at around 15psi. I ran the engine for about 5 minutes or so, then went about adding in the epoxy-type sealant, figuring that if the leak was still in there I should do something about it. The sealant went in fine too, and the pressure stabilized at about 30psi.

Except...

Once I took the filling hose off, the bloody oil and sealant started spewing out the low pressure side! There was much cursing, smoke, and oily mess which required a garbage bag full of paper towels to clean up.

Anyways, what gives? It's the Seiko Senki compressor. All the electrics work like a hot damn. The compressor works, and while I left the hose attached (prior to the spew) I actually felt cold air coming from the vents! One weird thing was that the compressor did cycle off a few times while I still had the hose attached; during these cycles I saw the low side pressure spike to around 80psi, then once the compressor spun up again it was back down to 30.

And before anybody gets started, yes, I know this is the chintzy way to go about getting this issue resolved. I know I should replace the receiver/dryer, I know I should get the system professionally evacuated, but I want to go into any shop work knowing as much as I can about what I need done, and this spewing issue is beyond my understanding.

Any ideas would be greatly, greatly appreciated. I can't name my grandson after you, but I can put in a good word. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Well, that's a poor way of going about fixing a A/C system, but I'd imagine you either forgot to install the schrader valve or it hung up and jammed open, probably due to improper installation of the fitting converter.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed; I knew from the get go this was never going to be a solution, only a tool to help me understand how much work/expense was going to be involved in getting things back tip-top. The way I figure now is that I guess I've shown that the compressor works which to my mind would have been the most money to replace, plus the wiring and switches which would have been a pain to trace a problem in.

I've sourced out the rubber and aluminum hose plus a new receiver dryer already; in a circumstance like mine where the system may have been open to atmosphere for who knows how long, should I replace the evaporator and condensor as well?

Regardless, thanks for the pointer on the schraeder valve; when I put the whole mess back together I'll ensure a proper low side valve is part of the package. Thanks again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Spewing a/c coolant

The valve is similar to the air valve on your tires. It is possible for it to stick open and spew some of the refrigerant out as you remove the fitting, but it should have sealed off when the fitting was completely removed. I re-charge my A/C every summer and it lasts till about January each year. In a perfect world with plenty of money I would have it all replaced, but for now.... the can with the pressure gage is my friend..... jf

1 - 4 of 4 Posts