SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Not posted here as much as I would have liked, always meant to do more, however time is always a killer and I work really long hours (come on, get them violins out, you know you want to :D ), but thought I'd share the news that my much loved and well looked after 95 Aero finally snapped my neverending patience with it, over the course of a couple of months I've had:

Heater bypass valve blew, gave me no clues, no low coolant warnings at all, just suddenly started to overheat (still no warnings), managed to stop before the needle got too high though, had an hour plus waiting for the AA van followed by a couple more waiting for a low loader.

Turbo started to puff smoke, lightly, on full throttle, so replaced it, still got it if someone wants to pick it up from Reading.

A good old fashioned oil leak, but with no warnings from the car when the oil got low, from memory, it drank 2-3 litres in 300 miles and that was right after it had been in with the dealer for other problems.

Fairly serious engine sludge, despite having always been main dealer maintained and had VERY regular oil changes. Funny thing, after I had it sorted in Gloucester I went back to my local dealer and asked if they had ever dropped the sump, the response I got was an all too clueless 'what do you mean' seriously, I'm no mechanic, but even I know that much.

Coolant line blew, nice big clouds of steam etc, followed by 2 hours waiting for the AA to turn up in the dead of night while stuck at the side of an A road in the middle of nowhere.

Repeated knocking from the suspension at low speed which the dealer never managed to fix despite them taking the car apart six or so times over a few months and me paying them well over £500 for the priviledge in the first place.

The whole indicator cluster fell out at 70mph, but nicely stayed attached by it's lead and then proceeded to band the cr*p out of the front wing until I could find a layby to stop in (again, middle of the night on that same A road), you wouldn't believe how many dents it put in the front of the car.

For good measure the battery popped, but I couldn't really hold that against it.

The ACC seemed incapable of throwing out cold air, despite having just been fixed.

Both? the undertrays got broken when I drove over something that looked like a harmless plastic bag, not the cars fault ;oops: , but I couldn't be bothered to get those fixed as it was due a service too and at this point, I'd had enough :evil:

Was a pity, lovely car, really good fun, especially with the mods :cheesy: , glad I went the safe route with hirsch, dread to think what might have happened if I'd have put third party mods on it and tried to push the limits of it's engineering, even when it was a young car it had the cylinder head etc replaced, spent as much time with saab as it did with me, there are many, many more times this car has broken in some way, thankfully most of them were under warranty and no kidding, there couldn't have been much of the original car left.

It was the third saab I've owned, Had a 9000 CD and a beautiful 9000 Aero in scarabe green metallic before, they were all good cars, but all unreliable in their own ways.

Anyways, I've traded over to an E55 AMG and it's very different, in most ways it's a better package, but some things, like the saab's aircon was always less intrusive and I miss that slight bit of turbo lag, it was nice to have a little bit of time to prepare for what was coming from the engine and not just have the full bananas thrown at you with no warning at all. The other obvious one is that a 280hp fwd saab was one hell of a lot easier to deal with that a 469hp rwd merc!

This forum has always been a wealth of knowledge and a laugh to read, would definately recommend to a friend, will keep an eye in and even try to contribute more in the future.

You never know, if the new saab 95 is a real good'un then I may well buy one in a couple of years.

Damn, thats a long post, good job I'm only listing the recent problems.....

JohnnyG.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd love to argue, but I cant, it sounds amazing under load and it sure is scary fun :cheesy:

And the good thing for now is got a full years main dealer warranty so, the only big bills will be for fuel (18mpg on a good day)

erm, oh yeah and TYRES!

Problem that I'm sure the tuned & aero owners appreciate was when I first thought of getting rid of the the saab, I couldn't find anything which was as good a place to be that went as quick and pulled as hard for anything like reasonable money.

I wouldn't buy a BMW just on principle, I've always looked at them as the car you buy when you don't know what you want, nothing much wrong with them though, older high spec Audi's are sooooooo dull, sure a Monaro would be fun, but I couldn't live with the cheap seats, switchgear etc, never really been a fan of japanese cars either, it' just something about them.

That list just went on and on, but stumbled on a 3 year old E55 didn't drive it though, as I had a feeling that it would be the end of the saab, just sat in it and had a fiddle at the dealer, did some surfing and decided to test drive it a couple of days later, but missed out on it by a couple of hours, sold to some guy just before my test drive.

That was it, went on a hunt found a well kitted out one and had it shpped down from up north for a test drive.. no doubts at all once I drove it. :evil: :evil: Signed it up the same day

The saabs have all been very good fun though and will miss them.

G

·
Ha the chap who I bought my car from also bought an 04 AMG E55 from his boss. I have to laugh b/c as much as he loves the E, he said he still loved the 9-5 more than a 'stock' E AMG. But he knew he could make more power with the AMG and be able to put it to the ground more often. He has spent thousands already on it- he has around 600hp and even more torque. Awesome four door commuter car...but that gas mileage;oops: . I still get 28-30 avg out of a tankful whenever I want it.

Yea your big repair bills will come and the thirsty blown 8 will keep chuggin'

Have fun!

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
SOunds like you had horrible experience with your 9-5:suprised;

The new Benz is well justified.

Hope you enjoy.

(if the Saab bug ever bites again, try a c900 t16) lol. j/k.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Good luck for the future and I hope the fuel prices dont spoil your AMG fun too much :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts